• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Forum! Feedback thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The order of stories at the new posts tab seems to be all over the place.

The times of the most recent post on the top 26 items on that list, in order, are:
(It is now 10.45 pm, I will put those less than an hour ago as the time, not "n minutes ago"; all pm unless otherwise stated)

10.51 am
9.38 am
3.44 am
10.52 pm yesterday
10.35 pm yesterday

Look at those last two: the thread last posted on 24hrs and 10 minutes ago is listed above the one from 17 minutes ago. The second newest post on the New Posts list is 26th on that list, the newest is 15th.

Not what I would call user friendly.

Here's something weird - on my computer - if I hit the 'page end' button on my keyboard, the page end is blank, still with forum colours but no text at all in there, and is a long long way past the actual end of all text on the page. So as a workaround I have to scroll down from the top of the page, which is a bit annoying on fullish pages, but still a fair bit quicker than scrolling back up to the end of the text from the empty bottom of the page. Never seen that before in forums or on websites!

Safari on Mac, I haven't tried it in a different browser.

Here's something weird - on my computer - if I hit the 'page end' button on my keyboard, the page end is blank, still with forum colours but no text at all in there, and is a long long way past the actual end of all text on the page. So as a workaround I have to scroll down from the top of the page, which is a bit annoying on fullish pages, but still a fair bit quicker than scrolling back up to the end of the text from the empty bottom of the page. Never seen that before in forums or on websites!

Safari on Mac, I haven't tried it in a different browser.
I've reported this to the developers elsewhere. I'm pretty certain it's a Safari problem as it loads certain elements in a different order to other browsers. We have this problem with some of the online stuff we develop in Django.

If you use Chrome on your Mac it'll work fine.

Reactions: dusty red roads
When inserting text from external sources - articles, books etc - I (and others) have tended to use the QUOTE tags. These only display about six or seven lines of text, with the user then required to click to expand. Hardly an end of the world thing, I know, but is there an alternative tag for inserting text from external sources or is this a design feature?

I'm not sure if I was clear. I meant before when I used to click on the thread it'd take me to the last post (first page). I don't see a way to do this.
Clicking on the thread title takes you to the first page. Or (assuming you're logged in) it takes you to the first unread post on that thread. I'm still not clear on how the two different behaviours are triggered, I think taking you to the first unread post only works if there is an unread post to take you to, otherwise you're dumped back to the first page. The titles of threads with new posts on them are highlighted in a different colour.

Clicking on the page number below the thread title takes you to the top of that page.

Clicking on the last post time/date to the right of the thread title takes you to that last post.

Keep the clinic talk in the clinic please...
Yes, but do recognise that some of us are completists, and not having that missing IV trophy has the potential to become really, really distressing. Is this perhaps part of a new premium service on the site, certain trophies can only be purchased, sort of the way Panini only release into the wild three or four cards with Lionel Mesi on them, requiring you to buy the missing card direct from them to complete the set?

Another question. With regard to draft posts. It's nice that you can start writing and not accidentally delete your draft, or can start writing and go off and check a quote or whatever without losing your draft, but are these draft posts being saved server-side?

Oops! We ran into some problems.
A server error occurred. Please try again later.
Getting that trying to reply to a post on the Froome Clinic thread. The error seems to be being triggered by the use of smilies (as in, if I take the smiley out of the post, it posts, if I leave it in, I get that message).

(The attempted message featured the 'flushed' smiley. Chrome browser on a Windows PC.)

Yes, but do recognise that some of us are completists, and not having that missing IV trophy has the potential to become really, really distressing. Is this perhaps part of a new premium service on the site, certain trophies can only be purchased, sort of the way Panini only release into the wild three or four cards with Lionel Mesi on them, requiring you to buy the missing card direct from them to complete the set?

I believe it's now in-app purchases, but I'm too old for that stuff. Last time I was collecting Panini stickers I was after a shiny Ian Rush to complete my Leeds team.

From other chats with the devs I think the badges are baked into the forum software, so it's not something they'd be able to change.

Reactions: fmk_RoI
Until now, I didn't think that we could still see whether or not a thread had gotten new posts since the last time one read that post when one was on the front page of a subforum. Now, I realise, that the titles of threads with new posts are in fact written in purple, whereas the titles of threads where you're up-to-date are written in black.

Those two colours are practically indistinguishable from each other, so maybe a tweak would be in order.

Getting that trying to reply to a post on the Froome Clinic thread. The error seems to be being triggered by the use of smilies (as in, if I take the smiley out of the post, it posts, if I leave it in, I get that message).

(The attempted message featured the 'flushed' smiley. Chrome browser on a Windows PC.)

I had the same issue in the Tour of Utah thread.
I was not allowed to be cool!

Until now, I didn't think that we could still see whether or not a thread had gotten new posts since the last time one read that post when one was on the front page of a subforum. Now, I realise, that the titles of threads with new posts are in fact written in purple, whereas the titles of threads where you're up-to-date are written in black.

Those two colours are practically indistinguishable from each other, so maybe a tweak would be in order.

I had the same issue as you - I blamed it on my slight colour blindness.

Dark mode has it as white and purple which is a lot better!

Reactions: tobydawq

TRENDING THREADS