• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Forum! Feedback thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This morning i've tried multiple times to post a comment about the UEFA Supercup in "The real football thread" but everytime i get a popup saying that there is a server problem and i can't post, it's really strage because apparently that problem subsists only in that thread because i was able to post without problems in other threads.

This morning i've tried multiple times to post a comment about the UEFA Supercup in "The real football thread" but everytime i get a popup saying that there is a server problem and i can't post, it's really strage because apparently that problem subsists only in that thread because i was able to post without problems in other threads.
Using an emoji? Take it out. It's a bug reported upthread.

Reactions: Nirvana
When inserting text from external sources - articles, books etc - I (and others) have tended to use the QUOTE tags. These only display about six or seven lines of text, with the user then required to click to expand. Hardly an end of the world thing, I know, but is there an alternative tag for inserting text from external sources or is this a design feature?
Is there any chance of getting official guidance on this?

I note that if quoted text is posted using the QUOTE tags, and someone responds by hitting reply, the quoted text is stripped out of the text quoted in the response. Should we therefore be using the Table element when posting quotes from external sources? Will that show up when someone hits reply?

Last edited:
Question: how does the like function work on tablets? On both mobile and desktop, if I hit the Like link I get a choice of thumbs up, smileys, frowns. But on my tablet (Chrome running on Android) clicking Like just gives up a thumps up.
Ok, so it looks like we're being left to work things out for ourselves. Likes on my tablet seem to need a long press, of indeterminate length, to bring up the pop-up options. Probably linked to tablet's capabilities: site runs like a club-footed camel on my basic one (pages hang when loading, clicks sometimes take forever to produce an action etc).

Ok, so it looks like we're being left to work things out for ourselves. Likes on my tablet seem to need a long press, of indeterminate length, to bring up the pop-up options. Probably linked to tablet's capabilities: site runs like a club-footed camel on my basic one (pages hang when loading, clicks sometimes take forever to produce an action etc).
I think this may be a good time to remind posters (not you specifically, fmk_Rol), that this is just the free part of the CN site where you can still post freely, but you may have to deal with a bunch of bugs.

Crikes, did none of you go through this with Yahoo back in the year of 2000?

Anyhoo, if you don't pay for it don't expect excellent customer service. Those dvelopers are probably vacationing somewhere right about now.

• Sad
Reactions: fmk_RoI
It's possible these kind of things are device and even personal settings on that device dependent. As such it may just be that they can't answer those kinds of questions.

It's pretty insignificant, and maybe it has been mentioned already, but the "cool"-smiley doesn't seem to work. When I include that one I get

Oops! We ran into some problems.
A server error occurred. Please try again later.

Then when I remove it I can submit the post with no issues

I'm not a fan of all of the items in the user details part of the post. They end up taking a lot of vertical space and lead to tons of useless whitespace on short posts. I'm glad I can at least turn off user signatures so I don't have to see that over and over, but the space is still often wasted because of the tall user details.

Please allow an option to turn off display of those items. As it is, I've just blocked them on my end (uBlock on message-userExtras class).

Have these two issues reported already at the beginning been look into please?

1. Currently, navigation between the pages of a thread is arguably possible only at the bottom of the page. But very often I want to go to the previous page when I am at the top of the page. Could the navigation buttons be placed also at the top of the thread page?

2. Small up and down arrows in the right bottom corner could partially help with issue 1., only if the down arrow worked... which it doesn't.

1. Currently, navigation between the pages of a thread is arguably possible only at the bottom of the page. But very often I want to go to the previous page when I am at the top of the page. Could the navigation buttons be placed also at the top of the thread page?

It's possible to navigate to previous thread-page from the top if you're on a computer/laptop. However, if you're on your phone the previous button will bring you to the previous thread. What's even the point of that?

Hey all, thanks for the feedback thus far. I've had to disable the extra emojis and their bbcode for the time being. You can still use the native "smilies" (ie emojis native to your device). Let me know if that gives you trouble still.

The sign on issues as well as the posting issues are bit more difficult to narrow down. If you are having sign on or intermittent posting issues the first thing to do is turn off any adblockers or cookie blockers. If that doesn't work clear your browser cache and try again. If that doesn't' work try a different browser. The next step would be to try a different device.

If all of the above troubleshooting does not work can you please provide me with the following info in a PM and I'll be glad to investigate further:

Description of the issue
URL where the issue occurs
Browser
OS
Device
Time of issue
Geolocation (City location and/or country)

Reactions: fmk_RoI
Errr… not an issue, but why are random threads suddenly getting the How To tag?

Hey all, thanks for the feedback thus far. I've had to disable the extra emojis and their bbcode for the time being. You can still use the native "smilies" (ie emojis native to your device). Let me know if that gives you trouble still.

The cool emoji is in the top-group, though.

TRENDING THREADS