New Jerseys - 2013 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Tenues-and-Exotics

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 12, 2013
425
0
0
I really like the new FDJ design :) saw Pinot trialling it a few months ago. Don't like the 21st century part on the back of the bibs of Sky's design; seems to go against their minimal approach. No problem atm with Belkin although I haven't actually seen it on a rider so i'm not certain

Any other designs confirmed fot the Tour???
 
Jun 12, 2013
425
0
0
Dazed and Confused said:
Part of the empire.
Fox news to follow.

Going to America.
Not sure a British team should have main sponsors that are American. A different placement of the fox logo would've been better. Possibly on the blue strip of the jersey??
 
nick101 said:
Not sure a British team should have main sponsors that are American. A different placement of the fox logo would've been better. Possibly on the blue strip of the jersey??
But for other teams it's fine?

Garmin Sharp.

Argos Shimano.

Saxo-Tinkoff.

Lampre-Merida.

Radioshack-Leopard.

Edit:
For clarity, I'm referring to to a second sponsor from a different country, not exclusively an American one.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,596
0
0
King Boonen said:
But for other teams it's fine?

Garmin Sharp.

Argos Shimano.

Saxo-Tinkoff.

Lampre-Merida.

Radioshack-Leopard.
Indeed. As i have written often before on similar subjectS: pro cycling teams are not national teams. And they shouldnt be.

Also, its like argueing that British football teams should only have British sponsors on their jersesys. Doesnt work like that.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,596
0
0
King Boonen said:
Edit:
For clarity, I'm referring to to a second sponsor from a different country, not exclusively an American one.
Could also be the prime name sponsor. Cannondale and CSC comes to mind for example.
 
Jun 12, 2013
425
0
0
As main sponsor not necessarily. Sky are strongly british and pride themselves on being so. A main sponsor that's american damages that reputation/image. well that's my perception anyway. Some of the teams have bike frame/component companies as main sponsors - that's a slightly different situation as the amount of possible sponsors from the same country is limited (if any at all) in the bike industry.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,596
0
0
nick101 said:
As main sponsor not necessarily. Sky are strongly british and pride themselves on being so. A main sponsor that's american damages that reputation/image. well that's my perception anyway. Some of the teams have bike frame/component companies as main sponsors - that's a slightly different situation as the amount of possible sponsors from the same country is limited (if any at all) in the bike industry.
Sky is a British team, but that has nothing to do with the sponsor as such. And really it isnt THAT national based compared to other teams. 2/3 of the riders are non-Brits and a lot of the DSs have historically been non-Brits too. Got logistiv and operational bases abroad.

So yes a British team, but not more national based that most of the other WT teams (even less compared to some of the other WT teams). Often pro contidental teams and lower are the teams that are most national based. The bigger the team and the bigger the budget the more international they become. Its not a bad thing though, its just the way it is.

Anyways, its pretty offtopic to this thread.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Cimber said:
Sky is a British team, but that has nothing to do with the sponsor as such. And really it isnt THAT national based compared to other teams. 2/3 of the riders are non-Brits and a lot of the DSs have historically been non-Brits too. Got logistiv and operational bases abroad.

So yes a British team, but not more national based that most of the other WT teams (even less compared to some of the other WT teams). Often pro contidental teams and lower are the teams that are most national based. The bigger the team and the bigger the budget the more international they become. Its not a bad thing though, its just the way it is.

Anyways, its pretty offtopic to this thread.
The biggest budget teams are Anglosaxon, Russian, and Kazakh. None of these areas have huge numbers of pro riders, so it's only logical they don't have that many riders from the mother country.

But Sky is very much linked to British Cycling, BMC really want to be an American team considering how much they pay Tejay and Phinney. And Katusha and Astana... well, if these teams aren't founded to glorify the nation I'm Pat McQuaid.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,596
0
0
theyoungest said:
The biggest budget teams are Anglosaxon, Russian, and Kazakh. None of these areas have huge numbers of pro riders, so it's only logical they don't have that many riders from the mother country.

But Sky is very much linked to British Cycling, BMC really want to be an American team considering how much they pay Tejay and Phinney. And Katusha and Astana... well, if these teams aren't founded to glorify the nation I'm Pat McQuaid.
Yes all of the teams are to some extend rooted in their national base. But as I said that national tie is lessened the bigger the teams get (only natural), and its the same for all teams. Sky is not more or less national based than say BMC, Saxo, Orica, Garmin etc. They are all to a degree based on their national origin, but not to an extend that they can be considered semi national teams or to an extend where its natural to only consider sponsors of certain nationality
 
Cimber said:
Yes all of the teams are to some extend rooted in their national base. But as I said that national tie is lessened the bigger the teams get (only natural), and its the same for all teams. Sky is not more or less national based than say BMC, Saxo, Orica, Garmin etc. They are all to a degree based on their national origin, but not to an extend that they can be considered semi national teams or to an extend where its natural to only consider sponsors of certain nationality
Cimber, I've quoted you purely to highlight the continuation of the conversation, not because what I will write applies to what you have said.

Lets all be honest here, this is a silly conversation. We bemoan the lack of support for pro-cycling, with teams like HTC being forced to disband (I know a fair few were happy about that...) and Blanco, OGE and Radioshack-Leopard struggling to find big sponsors, then people complain when a "big money" sponsor comes in because they feel it isn't in line with the team and cycling's ethos (I'm assuming 21st Century Fox will be paying and it's not just splitting the current sponsorship pot between Murdoch organisations for tax reasons...).

The bigger the sponsors the better as far as I'm concerned. If Apple wanted to sponsor Lampre that'd be awesome. If Shell went for Europcar it'd be brilliant. It offers financial stability (Ok, I'm assuming that but the bigger the sponsor the less money it is in terms of their turnover) and that is drastically needed to secure a good future for cycling.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,596
0
0
King Boonen said:
Cimber, I've quoted you purely to highlight the continuation of the conversation, not because what I will write applies to what you have said.

Lets all be honest here, this is a silly conversation. We bemoan the lack of support for pro-cycling, with teams like HTC being forced to disband (I know a fair few were happy about that...) and Blanco, OGE and Radioshack-Leopard struggling to find big sponsors, then people complain when a "big money" sponsor comes in because they feel it isn't in line with the team and cycling's ethos (I'm assuming 21st Century Fox will be paying and it's not just splitting the current sponsorship pot between Murdoch organisations for tax reasons...).

The bigger the sponsors the better as far as I'm concerned. If Apple wanted to sponsor Lampre that'd be awesome. If Shell went for Europcar it'd be brilliant. It offers financial stability (Ok, I'm assuming that but the bigger the sponsor the less money it is in terms of their turnover) and that is drastically needed to secure a good future for cycling.
Totally agree. The teams cant be picky (and they arent)
 
Mar 10, 2009
255
0
9,030
Got to love the new FDJ kit. At first when I heard about the new kit I was devastated 'cause the old one was my favorite. But when I saw the new kit it was even better than the old one!

Still very easy to recognize and the tricolor nicely included. Somehow it just seems very fresh.

Will match nicely with Vichot's national jersey.
 
BigMac said:
Isn't the 21st Century Fox sponsor only for the Tour? At least i tought so.
No, it'll first appear at the Tour but it's a long term commitment.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_8792605,00.html

Reading the article, it's actually a re-branding rather than a new sponsor due to the breaking up of News Corp. News Corp is splitting into two separate companies and 21st Century Fox is going to be the one that continues the sponsorship. The team will remain as Sky Pro Cycling though. The good thing is that the new sponsor is 21st Century Fox, rather than News Corp. News Corp is taking the newspapers, while 21st CF is taking the TV and film businesses. This means 21st CF is likely to be the more stable company, having removed the troubled print businesses out to a separate company so as not to effect what they probably feel will be their main business moving forwards, movies and television.

There is no mention of extra funding, although the article does indicate that the term of the funding has been extended, although it doesn't explicitly state it.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY