• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

new rider.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I recently got into cycling. I bought a Miyata 710 from a friend of mine for 35 dollars( i have no idea if this is a good brand of bike). I have a few questions that would help get me stared: What kind of mileage should I be doing to get myself started? Is there a place with charts for mileage progression? Are their any good guides for cycling nutrition?

Oh my, you have so much to learn my friend!

First, go buy a helmet, and bike shorts.

Don't ever ride without a water bottle, patch kit and pump, and preferably cell phone.

That's a really bottom end bike, but any bike is still a bike, and you got a good deal. A lot of people spend thousands of dollars on this sport, but you don't have to do that to get out and ride and have fun.

The question I have is what are your goals?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Exactly - what are your goals, fitness, fun, to lose weight, keep trim, to race?
Also how much time you can afford to cycle is another key question.

Also if you could give us an idea of your current level of fitness that would be great too! :)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't have much to add other than what Alpe and Dr Maserati posted, but reading this guys post really warmed my heart. My first "road bike" was a $100 Target special I got for Christmas in elementary school. I spent some money I got for Christmas to buy some pedal clips and away I went - I have loved the sport ever since.

To the Edwin31 - I wish you the best of luck with the sport. I hope you get as much out of it as I have over the past 25 years! :D

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Edwin the bike is fine.First make sure you like cycling before leaving a huge carbon footprint outside your local bike shop.If you spent 35 on the bike a tune up will triple it's value so be careful of putting good money after bad.Yes carbon wheels will make all bikes go faster just not yet for you.Pedal's and shoes are good but a helmet and shorts are critical.Shorts is plural so get more than one pair and care for them.Lots of really,really bad things can happen in your shorts,starting with boils and burns from a bad fit and germs.Always wear clean shorts.A book is the least embarassing way to learn about cycling.Tom Prehn,Dr.Dr.Arnie Baker,Lance,Greg and Eddie B all have books you can start with.Basic rules,know how to use your brakes,spin,don't ride with music yet and try to build a base,even if it's a half hour a day.Ride with anybody,don't worry about getting lit up by a buff tri chick it's going to happen.If you get a stationary trainer for cheap(50 bucks) it will help you build,learn to turn circles,keep your upper body"quiet" and it will give you flexibility to get in small work outs before work or when the weather is bad.Don't mail order your first couple of bikes,you need the help of a shop before you are a "pro".If you stick with it don't buy a bike in the 400-600 range if you can avoid it.Going up even a little 2or300 will get you a bike you can train race and win on,before you have to go to the next level.Technology is great but it has little to do with racing at most levels.Suffering is key,learning to push yourself without the benefit is the most important quality a bike racer can have.You will know what I am talking about after 30 min on a trainer without distraction.Good luck.Anytime somebody tells you it's all about the bike just find a Nat or a Cat 1 in your area and offer him or her your bike to race that person and soon the best bike in the world can't help training and skill.Think of it this way a pro surfer can shred on an ironing board.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Exactly - what are your goals, fitness, fun, to lose weight, keep trim, to race?
Also how much time you can afford to cycle is another key question.

Also if you could give us an idea of your current level of fitness that would be great too! :)

For the time being I really don't have any goals set. Im just riding with some friends ( which makes cycling really fun when you are in good company).

I generally have time to ride 3-5 times a week.

My current level of fitness is ok. Iv really haven't done any physical activity for the past 6+months. The most iv rode so far is 25 miles. My cardio is ok but my legs could use some work. I ran cross country all through highschool and a little in college.

Oh on a happy note i found out their is a benifit ride put on by the local hospital. Its a 24 mile ride and i think its going to be really fun.

Good stuff, good to see your getting into this fantastic sport.

Joining a bunch ride is a great way of getting into the sport, meeting like minded people and learning the sport.

And if your from Australia, we have heaps of bunch rides listed on the website http://www.bunchridefinder.com - we are currently looking for more rides all over the globe too!

For the first few bunch rides, stick at the back of the group, watch and learn.

On our site we have some basic rules, this should also help.

But for now, use the bike you have, get the K's or Miles up and enjoy it - once your totally hooked, then start thinking about upgrades.

Well done mate!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
edwin31 said:
. My cardio is ok but my legs could use some work. I ran cross country all through highschool and a little in college.

As a runner turned cyclist (who got into cycling through another runner turned cyclist) a common mistake is pushing too big a gear. With good cardio
sometimes you might feel like you are not working hard. And you may also think you do not have enough leg strength, but if you pedal at 90-100 rpm you do not need alot of strength. Plus the higher cadence will help to smooth out your pedal stroke, there are alot of riders who have terrible form but it is hard to tell at 80rpms...

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
As long as you have friends to ride with and show up to the group rides, your learning curve will be huge.

I think everyone needs a "mentor" when they get into cycling. Cycling seems to be a very simple sport, but can be quite complicated. Simple tricks to fix your bike etc can make a world of difference.

Bike setup is also key, if you are slightly uncomfortable it is probably due to being new to the sport. If you are very uncomfortable get somebody to help you fit your bike.

Leverage the relationship with other cyclist, anyone will be willing to help you.

I think Cyclist:
1. Have a huge Ego
2. Have a big heart

The only thing a cyclist likes to do more than drop you on a ride is help you when you are down. Great sport, with a great community.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
sometriguy said:
As long as you have friends to ride with and show up to the group rides, your learning curve will be huge.

I think everyone needs a "mentor" when they get into cycling. Cycling seems to be a very simple sport, but can be quite complicated. Simple tricks to fix your bike etc can make a world of difference.

Bike setup is also key, if you are slightly uncomfortable it is probably due to being new to the sport. If you are very uncomfortable get somebody to help you fit your bike.

Leverage the relationship with other cyclist, anyone will be willing to help you.

I think Cyclist:
1. Have a huge Ego
2. Have a big heart

The only thing a cyclist likes to do more than drop you on a ride is help you when you are down. Great sport, with a great community.

Very true, even the best cyclists i know stop & help newbies.
Group rides are fun. I did one 25 miler with my team & we would drift through the pack and help obvious newbies. One particular girl was really having a hard time her hips were rocking as her saddle was far too high.
We pulled alongside her and said, " Your saddle is really high and you are going to be really sore by the time the ride is over, we can lower it for you?"
She was kind of proud & declined but my teammate was a schoolteacher so we drifted back & bided out time. After another twenty minutes we pulled up to her again and before we could offer she said she was really hurting & pulled over. I don't know how she made it that far she was on her tiptoes by the bottom of the stroke. we got her straightened out and she enjoyed the rest of the ride, she searched us out after the ride to thank us profusely.
this is a great sport for life
:D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
edwin31 said:
For the time being I really don't have any goals set. Im just riding with some friends ( which makes cycling really fun when you are in good company).

I generally have time to ride 3-5 times a week.

My current level of fitness is ok. Iv really haven't done any physical activity for the past 6+months. The most iv rode so far is 25 miles. My cardio is ok but my legs could use some work. I ran cross country all through highschool and a little in college.

Oh on a happy note i found out their is a benifit ride put on by the local hospital. Its a 24 mile ride and i think its going to be really fun.

Fun and fitness, cool!
As someone else pointed out the best advice is to spin your gear, that is have a nice high pedal cadence or rpm.
I have often felt the reason a lot of people who abandon cycling for pleasure is because they are pushing too hard on a big gear. Both hurting and exhausting themselves.

For someone like yourself coming from a running background spinning will help with any discomfort in your legs. When you are out with your friends try and pedal 80 to 90rpm - or about 3 full revs every 2 seconds.
....and enjoy yourself!
Any pain or discomfort anywhere besides your legs? Neck, arms, ass?

Drop in again soon to let us know how you are doing!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The corolations between running and cycling are very strong with training methods, goal setting, and structure. Try to apply as much running science to cycling and see you performance shoot through the roof.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Just ride.

Your lungs will hurt at first if you're not already deeply into another aerobic sport. It goes away after a few weeks.

Start off with a few miles per ride. Work your way up slowly, adding a half a mile or a mile each time out. It doesn't sound like much progress, but it will always feel like an achievement. And if you were to do it consistently, in a year you'd be riding over a hundred miles a session. Though you'll eventually find time to be your major constraint.

Avoid hills at first, if you can. You're trying to build aerobic muscle and endurance, and hill-climbing builds anaerobic fibers, which confuses the situation. You can train those later, when you're doing longer rides (10+ miles) and the hills will be a smaller portion.

Get the bike set up correctly for you at a bike shop, if it's convenient. If not, here are some rules of thumb: set the saddle so your leg is straight when you place your heel on the pedal. Set the handlebars just below the saddle (at first; as you get more sporting you'll be dropping the bars more). In no case should your knees come above horizontal or your hips wobble from side to side to keep contact with the pedals. Your back should bend just above the hips, and you should be able to bend your elbows or straighten them out at different positions on the handlebars. Your shoulders should droop when you are riding relaxed; not be jammed up behind your ears.

When you're starting out (or coming back after a long layoff) the saddle is your biggest enemy after your lungs. If the bike has a racing-type saddle (narrow, no padding), consider replacing it with something a little cushier for a while, or covering it with a gel-pad. And wear cycling shorts with padding.

If you have clips or cleats on your shoes, practice applying circular force instead of just mashing on the downstrokes. This gets your hamstrings, hip flexors, and abdominals involved. Also practice clipping out. You'll want it to be a reflex when it's time to panic-stop or control your tumble in a crash. Pay attention to any tendon pain in your knees; it may indicate improper alignment of the cleats.

If you stick with it and start to ride more than an hour a day, try not to buy more than 3 bikes the first year. Some will be irresistible, but most aren't worth what they're charging.

Your $35 bike is nothing to be ashamed of. Put a little oil (not WD-40) on anything that squeaks and it'll be a good ride.

A

Anonymous

Cobber said:
I don't have much to add other than what Alpe and Dr Maserati posted, but reading this guys post really warmed my heart. My first "road bike" was a $100 Target special I got for Christmas in elementary school. I spent some money I got for Christmas to buy some pedal clips and away I went - I have loved the sport ever since.

To the Edwin31 - I wish you the best of luck with the sport. I hope you get as much out of it as I have over the past 25 years! :D

mine was a £99 peugot, did my first three club runs without clips... then rode for straps for a year before i was converted to clipless.. had a top ten 10m tt on that heap of junk.. :D

edwin31 said:
I recently got into cycling. I bought a Miyata 710 from a friend of mine for 35 dollars( i have no idea if this is a good brand of bike). I have a few questions that would help get me stared: What kind of mileage should I be doing to get myself started? Is there a place with charts for mileage progression? Are their any good guides for cycling nutrition?

I absolutely loved my Miyata! My philosophy is this; if the fame fits and everything is well maintained and you don't need to stroke your own ego with a four thousand dollar bike, ENJOY IT!!!!!! Mileage? Ride until it hurts, and keep doing that until it stops hurting. Then ride a bit further until it hurts again, and repeat. I like the Eddy Merckx quote. "Don't ride upgrades, ride up grades"

TRENDING THREADS