• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New tyres

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any tricks to remove the 'daggy' bits of rubber left over from the moulding process that are on new tyres and just wearing them in ? I just fitted a new set of GP4000 and consider them a bit scary when descending now on new ones. They seem to slip around a bit unlike the old worn in ones that just stuck like glue and inspired confidence. Does anyone have any trick ideas how to get the sheen of the new tyres short of riding them in ?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have never removed them when new, they just wear down after a few miles. If they do stick around you can basically rub them off if they annoy you. I usually only rub them off if I'm cleaning the bike and am near it otherwise I don't bother. Figure you could use a fine sand paper to rub them off, I'd stay clear of knifes or straight blades as you could cut into the actual tire by accident.

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that, it has never bothered me until now. The idea of sanding them of did occur to me but wasn't sure I wouldn't end up with more problems than it was worth. Anyway they're almost gone today, the main reason I was getting impatient is I want to get a few more fast descents in before the wet season kicks in here and it's not far away now.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
If you are talking about the form release tabs - the little point bits sticking out, about a pencil lead in diameter - I agree with El - they will wear off shortly and shouldn't cause any squirm, I'd think. Those are where the excess rubber comes out of the tire form, so that they know the rubber got into all of the form and the air got out.

There is usually a release chemical on the rubber surface, to help the tire get out of the form. That might cause some squirming, but should wear off quite quickly - but still might take a few miles.

Another possibility occurs to me - the mfr might have changed the tread compound. Whatever compound they used before might have been stickier for you, but stickier usually means softer, I think, and that means quicker wearing out. Maybe they wanted different wear characteristics. ? Idk.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
It's probably the mold-release agent on the sirface of the rubber. Take a dish scouring pad to the tire when it's new. Just scrub it off. You'll see a whitish residue on the pad.

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Still impatient but these tyres are a good twenty seconds slower over a 6.4 k descent that I regularly do (admittedly they have only seen just over six hour use) . It had me wondering if pro racers race on tyres straight out of the box or do they wear them in first and put them away for race day ? If I had to race of theses this weekend and the race involved hills I would be disappointed. I thought I had seen it in car racing where the tyres are worn in a bit so they are ready to go.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I am pretty sure the little bits don't matter to traction. it is the release compound in the tire mold that causes danger and the only way I know to deal with it is to be very careful for the first 50 km or so.
Whenever I buy a new motorcycle tire and the shop installs it, I am usually asked to sign a waiver that I know new tires have less traction. I have a friend that forgot that and 100 feet into a European tour his brand new rental bike was on the ground and he was in the hospital. New tires on cobbled road = loss of control.
Except for a belt sander or wire brush I can't think of anything that makes a brand new tire ready for the corners.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
twothirds said:
Scotch-Brite pads

I was being glib but your solution looks like good advice and I think I will try them on my next new tire. Personally I have never really worried about this on bicycle tires. New tires on a motorcycle? you can read my last post :)

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
I was being glib but your solution looks like good advice and I think I will try them on my next new tire. Personally I have never really worried about this on bicycle tires. New tires on a motorcycle? you can read my last post :)

I've done this on my motorcycle tires as well. Just takes a little longer. I have known some guys to take a belt sander to their motorcycle tires. These are generally guys who only go fast in a straight line, yet want to look like track studs.

Edit: Acetone will take this release agent off quite well. Alcohol, only so-so results.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
2beeDammed said:
Still impatient but these tyres are a good twenty seconds slower over a 6.4 k descent that I regularly do (admittedly they have only seen just over six hour use) . It had me wondering if pro racers race on tyres straight out of the box or do they wear them in first and put them away for race day ? If I had to race of theses this weekend and the race involved hills I would be disappointed. I thought I had seen it in car racing where the tyres are worn in a bit so they are ready to go.

Twenty sec over 6.4 k descent? And SLOWER? Hmmmm - I'm thinking something is going on besides the release compound. I'd like to see a comment on this from bustedknuckle or guissepi magnetico - but guissepi has left the forum for a time - I guess he needed to do other things with his life. I know those two have shop experience, and I'm sure others here do, but idk who.

The release compound will wear off - and 50k sounds like a good estimate in a worst case. Motorcycle tires and cheaper bike tires will likely use more release compound. Amof, I'm wondering if expensive cycle tires use the same release compounds at all. Or if you get some of those fancy hand-made tubulars - do they even get put in a tire form? But I don't think you are talking about them.

If the tires are slower, and you've got more than 50 k, what else changed? Tubes? Pressure? Atmospheric conditions could cause a change that small (20 sec / 6K). Wheelset? Got a brake pad rubbing? Hubs need new grease? Idk - possibilities. And, like I said - the mfr could have changed rubber compounds. But SLOWER should mean stickier compound, generally speaking.

Taking a belt sander to a tire is pretty radical. That's gonna take a lot of tire away. Auto racers like warm tires so they stick better. That's what used to be behind drag racers burning out. Cycle tires and cycle stresses are much different. Cycle tires don't usually get as warm in use as auto or motorcycle tires do. Less stress on them. Anyway, gtg.

twothirds said:
I've done this on my motorcycle tires as well. Just takes a little longer. I have known some guys to take a belt sander to their motorcycle tires. These are generally guys who only go fast in a straight line, yet want to look like track studs.

Edit: Acetone will take this release agent off quite well. Alcohol, only so-so results.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I wouldn't use Scotch-Brite pads on anything that wasn't metal. Over time you'll learn.

twothirds said:
why not? just curious.

Yeah, why not? They are just nylon, formed to be abrasive. The abrasive quality doesn't last long once the pad is bent or folded - doing that breaks the abrasive structures. They could take off some rubber, I could see that - if the pad was new and you scrubbed hard.

I sure wouldn't use the same pad for my dishes after! :D

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
If the tires are slower, and you've got more than 50 k, what else changed? Tubes? Pressure?

The twenty odd seconds has more to do with me than the tyres, with these new tyres when I head into a corner fast they feel very unstable almost like they are starting to slide a bit. The old worn out set, same brand GP4000 just stuck and you could feel the G forces pushing you down into the saddle mid way through the corner. It was like the feeling you get skiing or snow boarding when you pull a fast turn, however you may be onto something with tyre pressure. With the old tyres I was getting a bit lazy checking my pressures and only added air when they felt a bit soft, usually putting 100 psi in the rear and a bit less in the front. When I fitted the new tyres I may have put more like 110 in the rear and 100 in the front....Hmmm.. will have to let them down a bit a see if that works.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
2beeDammed said:
The twenty odd seconds has more to do with me than the tyres, with these new tyres when I head into a corner fast they feel very unstable almost like they are starting to slide a bit. The old worn out set, same brand GP4000 just stuck and you could feel the G forces pushing you down into the saddle mid way through the corner. It was like the feeling you get skiing or snow boarding when you pull a fast turn, however you may be onto something with tyre pressure. With the old tyres I was getting a bit lazy checking my pressures and only added air when they felt a bit soft, usually putting 100 psi in the rear and a bit less in the front. When I fitted the new tyres I may have put more like 110 in the rear and 100 in the front....Hmmm.. will have to let them down a bit a see if that works.

Hot damn - I may have gotten something right for a change. :D At least, that's how I get to feeling around here sometimes!

Now that you describe "going through the corners" - "AHA" - as the Car Guys say. 1st, yeah - a little extra pressure could make that feeling change. Also, the old tires had their tread worn down - that would make a change - your corners might like a non-aggressive tread pattern better than an aggressive one. And I may get some correction on this - but when tires are older and worn - there is less rubber - and they feel more pliable on the road, imo. Also easier to pick up thorns and glass - but that's OT, eh?