• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Newsflash: EPO is more dangerous than orange juice

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
Really, so how do all of us who cannot use Paracetamol or such get on? Very strange that I personally get MUCH better relief of pain related to inflammation with Asprin than the other classes of OTC painkillers.

If you understood the properties of asprin, what the active ingredient is and it's actions in the human body, then you might not post such drivel.

You've made a mistake here. I am not against synthetic drugs by any stretch. My objection was to the general classification by ElChingon that "The problems with most "natural" drugs are that they don't work reliably, repeatably, or predictably."

Asprin most certainly works reliably, repeatably and predictably for many of us(and even for somone like you who can't use it - it is still reliably, repeateably and predictably bad for you).

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
mmedeast said:
You've made a mistake here. I am not against synthetic drugs by any stretch. My objection was to the general classification by ElChingon that "The problems with most "natural" drugs are that they don't work reliably, repeatably, or predictably."

Asprin most certainly works reliably, repeatably and predictably for many of us(and even for somone like you who can't use it - it is still reliably, repeateably and predictably bad for you).

Sorry, half asleep and not reading the sarcasm....... please be kind to a sleepy fool in future & use ":rolleyes:"....:)

Also you mis-read my post, Asprin works fine for me, Paracetemol does not.....

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
Sorry, half asleep and not reading the sarcasm....... please be kind to a sleepy fool in future & use ":rolleyes:"....:)

Also you mis-read my post, Asprin works fine for me, Paracetemol does not.....

Lol, you are right, I did misread that. :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Well some synthesized pharmaceuticals may increase life expectancy for one individual it but it also increases the life of bad genes, prolonging the existence of genetic defects in humanity.

What kind of fundamentalism is that? "It's better that you die young from a treatable but possibly lethal infection, but to comfort you: At least you're helping the rest of humankind by eliminating your "bad" genes from the gene pool"???

Nothing short of racist ideology, if you ask me.

In humans you'll find about 23.000 genes. That's the total variability we've got. Wanna' pinpoint the "bad genes" for us? Set up "Bad gene elimination patrols"? Good luck! A European nation tried your recipe some seventy years ago. It's not a recipe for success, and it's quite saddening really to see that trash still floating about.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
What kind of fundamentalism is that? "It's better that you die young from a treatable but possibly lethal infection, but to comfort you: At least you're helping the rest of humankind by eliminating your "bad" genes from the gene pool"???

Nothing short of racist ideology, if you ask me.

In humans you'll find about 23.000 genes. That's the total variability we've got. Wanna' pinpoint the "bad genes" for us? Set up "Bad gene elimination patrols"? Good luck! A European nation tried your recipe some seventy years ago. It's not a recipe for success, and it's quite saddening really to see that trash still floating about.
Obviously you are not familiar with genetics since variation doesn't come from the number of genes. Maybe the OP was a bit confusing in their post but your interpretation is a bit far fetched. Speaking as someone who does have a "bad" gene I'm just happy that it's recessive and I'm heterozygous.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
rata de sentina said:
Obviously you are not familiar with genetics since variation doesn't come from the number of genes. Maybe the OP was a bit confusing in their post but your interpretation is a bit far fetched. Speaking as someone who does have a "bad" gene I'm just happy that it's recessive and I'm heterozygous.

Oh, dear me. I didn't bring the "bad genes" into this. The OP did. A thorough discussion of the operative definition of the concept "gene" might be nice, but for simplicity's sake and in order to point out the appalling lack of empathy behind the OP's statement, I merely let that bit slide. I even used quotation marks to indicate that I quoted his terminology. I also didn't get lost by pulling facts out of my hat, facts like: Genetic diversity is good in itself. It makes extinction less probable. Today's "bad gene" is tomorrows "good gene". The opposite of genetic diversity is in-breeding.

However, making it look even the least bit desirable to avoid treating trivial infections in order to prevent "bad gene" replication takes a twisted mind. Nothing far-fetched about that.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
Oh, dear me. I didn't bring the "bad genes" into this. The OP did. A thorough discussion of the operative definition of the concept "gene" might be nice, but for simplicity's sake and in order to point out the appalling lack of empathy behind the OP's statement, I merely let that bit slide. I even used quotation marks to indicate that I quoted his terminology. I also didn't get lost by pulling facts out of my hat, facts like: Genetic diversity is good in itself. It makes extinction less probable. Today's "bad gene" is tomorrows "good gene". The opposite of genetic diversity is in-breeding.

However, making it look even the least bit desirable to avoid treating trivial infections in order to prevent "bad gene" replication takes a twisted mind. Nothing far-fetched about that.
You can backpedal as madly as you like but basically you went ballistic on the OP manifesting a whole bunch of specific strawmen when their post was expressed in nothing more than the most general of terms. I didn't read anything about avoiding "treating trivial infections" and at this stage until the OP says anymore I'm prepared to reserve my judgement. I certainly wouldn't go accusing them of N*** propaganda or racism which is what you did.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Warfarin. Keeps lot of people alive that would clot and have strokes. Including those with valve jobs. People have been on that drug for decades.

TRENDING THREADS