• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nibali : i'm a symbol of a clean sport

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Robert Hatch ‏@robhatchtv 8m8 minutes ago
MOV DS José Luís Arrieta told @ComounaFlecha he didn’t think it was right to attack when Froome had the mechanical & pleased w/ team today.

to add insult Nibali also lies after race that he didn't see Froome with mechanical problems despite TV showing him looking at Froome a lot

Daniel Friebe ‏@friebos 9m9 minutes ago
Froome: 'He had the whole climb to attack, and he waited until I had a mechanical.'

so, ugliest doper in the sports history. another piece of the portrait.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SkyTears said:
MOV DS José Luís Arrieta told @ComounaFlecha he didn’t think it was right to attack when Froome had the mechanical & pleased w/ team today.

to add insult Nibali also lies after race that he didn't see Froome with mechanical problems despite TV showing him looking at Froome a lot

Froome: 'He had the whole climb to attack, and he waited until I had a mechanical.'

Yes, Froome is not a pretty sight.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
How easy would it be to tell that Froome had an issue whilst he was in the group? Obviously Froome is looking down a lot but did obviously slow down and most didn't realise he had the issue until he was out of the group

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

SkyTears said:

You must be desperate. It took a while for TV commentators, and for many here too, to realize Froome had a mechanical. It is very plausible Nibali was waiting for a sign of weakness to attack and if you see the guy slowing down but still pedalling, the first thing you think about is not a mechanical.
i guess the reason why people don’t like Froome is also because there are supporters like you.

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

gazr99 said:
How easy would it be to tell that Froome had an issue whilst he was in the group? Obviously Froome is looking down a lot but did obviously slow down and most didn't realise he had the issue until he was out of the group

As I pointed out on the other thread:

If anyone's even wondering if Nibali knows that Froome was having a mechanical, it's clear they haven't ridden their bike recently, or ever ridden in a group.
That kind of thing you can hear clearly from several yards away.

IIRC, in the interview I saw, Nibali said 'non l'ho visto' - I didn't see it. He doesn't say he didn't hear it.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re: Re:

dottigirl said:
gazr99 said:

As I pointed out on the other thread:

If anyone's even wondering if Nibali knows that Froome was having a mechanical, it's clear they haven't ridden their bike recently, or ever ridden in a group.
That kind of thing you can hear clearly from several yards away.

IIRC, in the interview I saw, Nibali said 'non l'ho visto' - I didn't see it. He doesn't say he didn't hear it.

I have ridden my bike, and ridden in groups, and what you are saying is utter tosh.

Do you even know what happened to Froome's bike mechanically?

The number of times I have turned around to check people are still "on" and the brave but foolish slow poke has dropped off the back of the group is significant.

Even chains being dropped can be silent.

Add some fatigue, or extra focus, cheering fans or clapping and anything could be going on audibly.

Good grief.

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Dear Wiggo said:
I have ridden my bike, and ridden in groups, and what you are saying is utter tosh.

The number of times I have turned around to check people are still "on" and the brave but foolish slow poke has dropped off the back of the group is significant.

Add some fatigue, or extra focus, cheering fans or clapping and anything could be going on audibly.

Good grief.

Do you know what was wrong with his bike?

A stone (or Froome's word was 'asphalt') in the caliper which was preventing the wheel from turning.

Have you ever had anything stuck on your rim, caliper, or brake pad? A rubbing caliper? If anything is interfering in how the wheel turns, either on the rim, spokes, or against the tyre, you can hear it.

Travelling in a group of 20 recently, past cheering crowds, 20mph approx, I could still hear the guy with the broken spoke from 2-6 yards away - the loose spoke pinging and the buckling rim rubbing.

Froome said in one interview that it was bad enough that his wheel started locking/skidding, which is even more noticeable.

Not too many supporters around at that time either. You really think Nibali wasn't aware of something being wrong?

Good grief.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
dottigirl said:
You really think Nibali wasn't aware of something being wrong?

Not at all - if I see someone falter I think it's a good time to attack. Not saying Nibs was aware it was a mechanical, but it's a bike race, not a tea party. If you're already at the front of the group and the yellow jersey is not on your tail for the entire climb, you kinda guess he's on the limit a bit and attack.

You don't ask his permission before doing so.

That's bike racing.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

dottigirl said:
Dear Wiggo said:

Good grief.

A stone (or Froome's word was 'asphalt') in the caliper which was preventing the wheel from turning.

Have you ever had anything stuck on your rim, caliper, or brake pad? A rubbing caliper? If anything is interfering in how the wheel turns, either on the rim, spokes, or against the tyre, you can hear it.

Travelling in a group of 20 recently, past cheering crowds, 20mph approx, I could still hear the guy with the broken spoke from 2-6 yards away - the loose spoke pinging and the buckling rim rubbing.

Froome said in one interview that it was bad enough that his wheel started locking/skidding, which is even more noticeable.

Not too many supporters around at that time either. You really think Nibali wasn't aware of something being wrong?

Good grief.
Ok, it’s pretty clear:
a-you don’t ride a bike
b-you’ve never watched Tour de France or Giro live

As Dear Wiggo said, it happens very often that people literally “disappear” from a group ride because of a mechanical and it takes few minutes even to realize they are not there.
Regarding the noise made by the rear rim it is pathetic. If you have ever been in a top mountain stage at a Great Tour you’ll realize that the noise is so high that it is almost impossible to speak with the guy next to you. For instance, I clearly remember that once Lance Armstrong was shouting on the radio asking Heras to slow down but he thought he was asking him to increase the pace…

Regarding the broken spoke, it’s obvious it’s much more noisy that having a stone on the rear caliper. Especially because it gives rise to a very annoying rhythmic noise

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Nibali knew. He has a feud with Sky ever since the TdF2012 (as had Valverde).

I simply loved how the Spanish, the Swiss and the Italians combined at the 2012 Olympics to deliberately ruin the Brittish wank-fest. Nibali kept on attacking and taunting Wiggo and Froome until Froome cracked (and no, that was not master tactics, it was suicide). Monsterride from Wiggo, but the Spanish decided to help and just attack attack attck. With Vino as laughing third party.

Valverde made some kind of peace (a cooler head), but Nibali has not forgotten the perceived slight. There's a list of incidents of him and Sky (esp. Froome I think).

I think Froome is a very nice guy, but feuds like these make cycling fantastic,

In ten years when both are retired they will probably shake hands *shrug*.

Re:

gazr99 said:

Nibali took two long looks at him while he was futzing with his gears and attacked. I think it's clear he attacked because of whatever mechanical Froome was having.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

red_flanders said:
gazr99 said:

Nibali took two long looks at him while he was futzing with his gears and attacked. I think it's clear he attacked because of whatever mechanical Froome was having.

Yeah saw the highlights. Froome pretty much stopped then he attacked, add that to the fact a few other riders were looking at Froome at the same time, so they probably could hear something

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Franklin said:

I simply loved how the Spanish, the Swiss and the Italians combined at the 2012 Olympics to deliberately ruin the Brittish wank-fest. Nibali kept on attacking and taunting Wiggo and Froome until Froome cracked (and no, that was not master tactics, it was suicide). Monsterride from Wiggo, but the Spanish decided to help and just attack attack attck. With Vino as laughing third party.

Valverde made some kind of peace (a cooler head), but Nibali has not forgotten the perceived slight. There's a list of incidents of him and Sky (esp. Froome I think).

I think Froome is a very nice guy, but feuds like these make cycling fantastic,

In ten years when both are retired they will probably shake hands *shrug*.
We have a winner ladies and gentlemen.

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site

franic said:
dottigirl said:
Dear Wiggo said:

Good grief.

Good grief.
Ok, it’s pretty clear:
a-you don’t ride a bike
b-you’ve never watched Tour de France or Giro live

As Dear Wiggo said, it happens very often that people literally “disappear” from a group ride because of a mechanical and it takes few minutes even to realize they are not there.
Regarding the noise made by the rear rim it is pathetic. If you have ever been in a top mountain stage at a Great Tour you’ll realize that the noise is so high that it is almost impossible to speak with the guy next to you. For instance, I clearly remember that once Lance Armstrong was shouting on the radio asking Heras to slow down but he thought he was asking him to increase the pace…

Regarding the broken spoke, it’s obvious it’s much more noisy that having a stone on the rear caliper. Especially because it gives rise to a very annoying rhythmic noise

The infamous Clinic shutdown: 'My experience has been different to yours therefore you have never got on a bike or watched cycling.'

Yes mate, that's why they're on a cycling forum :)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

argel said:
The infamous Clinic shutdown: 'My experience has been different to yours therefore you have never got on a bike or watched cycling.'

Yes mate, that's why they're on a cycling forum :)
For a new member you are good up to date on our shutdowns, let me guess, long time lurker?

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Very much so :D I covered it in the Quintana thread, but on the forum I use for other stuff, the clinic gets the odd mention. Been reading for years now.

Re:

Franklin said:

I simply loved how the Spanish, the Swiss and the Italians combined at the 2012 Olympics to deliberately ruin the Brittish wank-fest. Nibali kept on attacking and taunting Wiggo and Froome until Froome cracked (and no, that was not master tactics, it was suicide). Monsterride from Wiggo, but the Spanish decided to help and just attack attack attck. With Vino as laughing third party...

Yes, how I laughed as one of the most unrepentant dopers in the history of the sport won an Olympic gold. :rolleyes:

Or maybe he just looked straight at Kangert

sptdw464_1_670.jpg

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Franklin said:

And people say we're over reacting believing that there's resentment towards the British riders

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Trond Vidar said:
Or maybe he just looked straight at Kangert

sptdw464_1_670.jpg
That's what Nibali said and I kind of believe him: it was not obvious to us watching that Froome had a mechanical, it's plausible it was not fro riders, too.

BTW,even if Nibali did it on purpose the reason why this happened is because Froome is not able to handle the peloton. Nobody would have ever attacked Hinault or Armstrong