• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nice History of Doping Wiki Page 1860-2009

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

Follow the link.

There are quite a bit of names on there since it goes from 1860-2009 but it is interesting to see how it started, how it has changed, and what is has become. It is a wiki - although it does have sources. Someone in these forums probably keeps it up to date.

I know everyone is probably sick of talking about it but it really is an eye opener as to how it became an accepted culture.

A

Anonymous

link doesnt work, but if its the list of doping cases, its been seen many many times

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, names and brief interesting narrative.

Maybe you have seen it maybe not, I just came across it the other day and figured I would share with those who haven't seen it yet. It's the best comprehensive list I have seen.

If anyone has any other lists post the link so I can go look at those too.

Wikipedia keeps getting better in terms of allowing only material that is based on verifiable and reliable sources. The enforcement is voluntary, like everything else on Wikipedia, but it does seem to be quite effective.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling
As you read over this list, remember that these are only the cases where someone was actually caught, and in almost every case, they almost certainly doped for significantly long periods of time, years if not decades, prior to being caught. So, despite the length and breadth of this list - it's only a drop in the bucket of all cyclists who have engaged (and continue to engage) in doping.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
There are some interesting foretellings of the future here:

Alec Taylor, Tom Simpson's manager in the 1967 Tour, said officials treated controls in fear, knowing what was there, afraid of what they might find.

"Race officials, federations, even the law on the Continent have been lax. Before Tom's death I saw on the Continent the overcautious way riders were tested for dope, as if the authorities feared to lift the veil, scared of how to handle the results; knowing all the while what they would be. They called on the law to act, enabling them to shelter under its wing and feel secure from interminable court actions and claims. They let the show carry on while the law acted light-heartedly, without vigour and purpose - and its deterrent had no effect."[36]

A

Anonymous

link works today.. didnt work last night.. maybe the page got overrun.. :D

is it me or is 2009 looking a bit on the sparse side.. ;)

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Too bad it's incomplete.
Doping began much earlier. I have it from a good source that Pheidippides was blood doping during his run to Marathon in 490 BC.

TRENDING THREADS