• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nicolas Vogondy dying of cardiac disease ...

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Problème cardiaque pour Vogondy:(

http://www.sport24.com/cyclisme/fil-info/probleme-cardiaque-pour-vogondy-345925/
images

"Nobody is immune from this kind of thing, morally we will do everything to help", said Didier Rous, sports director of Bbox on Ouest-France.

Nocolas Vogondy last image today in L'Equipe with his new team BBox
bbox-en-sursis.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
He's not dying. He has heart problems. And chances are, the same thing will happen to him that happens to 99.9% of riders with heart problems: he'll overcome them enough to have a normal life, but not enough to ride again.

Gross exaggeration

Vogondy's problem, according to cyclismag.com, is just "extrasystoles", which per se are not life threatening.
See here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premature_ventricular_contraction

He has just been asked to rest for one month and see if the problem goes away. In the past, just ignoring the problem has probably killed a few athletes (my guess).

Last time I had a stress test, the cardiologist detected a couple of those PVC and it certainly didn't disturb him, as for myself I did not feel the slightest hint of anything being wrong or just different from normal. The Dr had told me not to worry about it. Not enough of them to be a real problem maybe?

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
I don't think English is Daotec's first language.

Good job.. the article is in french.. :confused:And mourir or morte is not hard to read in that article..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
He's not dying. He has heart problems. And chances are, the same thing will happen to him that happens to 99.9% of riders with heart problems: he'll overcome them enough to have a normal life, but not enough to ride again.

Like Will Walker?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
He should not die he can get all sorts of things for heart desease they put stents in the arteries in a few minutes there is a guy who rides with me who had a pigs valve in his heart and boy watch him go on the hills.

WADA have not cought up with that yet next we wil be having performance enhanced heart replacement. cant do that on rest day in the Tour though it takes a little longer

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that - Vogondy has a lovely attacking style. My very rudimentary French suggests that the article says it is a problem, and that his longer term future is not certain. I would imagine that he had a full medical before joining, and that JRB is happy with his fitness. BBT has a larger squad that some much vaunted protour teams, and a much better approach to the sport, so I doubt we'll see him being forced to race or to make up numbers, if he is not able to.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

Disappointing, but kind of understandable. I wonder if this is tied in to the blood passport or not, and if it was even noted. I am glad to see that BBT are sticking by him regardless of the fact that he hasn't raced for them. Perhaps things may improve (dunno the details on arrythmia). Perhaps he might become a DS - with his experience, he would be right up the BBT alley for their approach to the sport.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:
Perhaps he might become a DS - with his experience, he would be right up the BBT alley for their approach to the sport.

Doubt it. Every team he goes to his DSs always criticise him for slacking off, not training hard enough, having no motivation, etc. They all say he's far more talented than what he shows in races.

I doubt they'll want someone like that as a DS.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
A real shame, I always liked Vogondy and he had a great tour in 08 as French Champion. Nearly stole Cavs first stage win as well, was caught with less than 100m to go having been off the front all day.

Im always amazed that some pros can slack off in their training and still ride to such a level. I train pretty damn hard, and I still suck. Genetics are an amazing thing I suppose.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
A real shame, I always liked Vogondy and he had a great tour in 08 as French Champion. Nearly stole Cavs first stage win as well, was caught with less than 100m to go having been off the front all day.

The way the break almost stayed away was brilliant, too. The peleton was only getting time checks every 5kms, so they slowed waaaaaay down so the peleton would slow down to not catch them.....then at 10kms to go they gave it everything....and the peleton didn't find out until 5kms to go so they opened up a big lead all of a sudden.

Too bad they got caught in the last 50m before the line :(

issoisso said:
Doubt it. Every team he goes to his DSs always criticise him for slacking off, not training hard enough, having no motivation, etc. They all say he's far more talented than what he shows in races.

I doubt they'll want someone like that as a DS.

I hear ya, but in his defence, a lot of DSs don't know jack about how individual training can be - being a DS does not mean you are an expert in sport phys and coaching. Some folks cannot put in the same miles or intensity without it breaking them down. Vogondy obviously knows how to train to get results, so perhaps he knows best what works for him.

Of course, perhaps he is just lazy....

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:
Disappointing, but kind of understandable. I wonder if this is tied in to the blood passport or not, and if it was even noted.

Not 100% sure about this but I think you need a doctor's certificate for a licence in most continental countries. That might be the issue.

ressuscitated

Some time ago DAOTEC announced:

Nicolas Vogondy dying of cardiac disease

Yesterday we learned from CN that the prediction of his imminent death must be posponed :
Vogondy cleared to race after cardiac scare

Good news anyway.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad for Vogondy, a real animateur and an exciting racer to watch. It does hit the point that Le Breton made though about sensationalist headlines.

Saturday night live

MacRoadie said:
In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead...

Hi MacRoadie, thanks for bringing back memories. Younger forumers might not know that following the long coma of that fascist leader, comedian Chevy Chase used to start or end (can't remember) his weekly news update on the Saturday night live show in the 70's with the news that Franco was still dead.

Now, considering the considerably longer coma of Ariel Sharon, I wonder if somebody will eventually ressuscitate that line if and when Sharon's number is called.

Le breton said:
Hi MacRoadie, thanks for bringing back memories. Younger forumers might not know that following the long coma of that fascist leader, comedian Chevy Chase used to start or end (can't remember) his weekly news update on the Saturday night live show in the 70's with the news that Franco was still dead.

Or the follow-up:

"Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still valiantly holding on in his fight to remain dead."

TRENDING THREADS