• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Bavarianrider said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Northug losing on the Alpe again, as sure as night follows day...

I'd feel bad for him, except that really, Northug failing is far too entertaining to bother with sympathy.

Northug had years where he had the second best time on Alpe Cermis.
This NEVER happened. i and many others had analyzed northugs climbs here and elsewhere.

check your stats withthe easily available fis archaves, pls

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Alpe Cermis times:

Women

1. Therese Johaug 18:46.6
2. Elizabeth Stephen 19:18.3
3. Heidi Weng 19:37.3
4. Ragnhild Haga 19:52.2
5. Charlotte Kalla 20:05.4
6. Nathalie von Siebenthal 20:09.1
7. Kerttu Niskanen 20:13.1
8. Teresa Stadlober 20:18.1
9. Maria Rydqvist 20:18.9
10. Anne Kyllönen 20:23.4
11. Stefanie Böhler 20:32.8
12. Laura Mononen 20:49.7
13. Krista Parmakoski 20:52.2
14. Nathalie Schwarz 21:05.8
15. Polina Kalsina 21:17.4
16. Jessica Diggins 21:17.7
17. Kari Øyre Slind 21:20.2
18. Ingvild Flugstad Østberg 21:21.6
19. Monique Siegel 21:23.9
20. Lea Einfalt 21:26.9

Men

1. Matti Heikkinen 16:47.2
2. Robin Duvillard 16:54.8
3. Finn Hågen Krogh 17:04.2
4. Martin Johnsrud Sundby 17:10.4
5. Evgeniy Belov 17:11.5
6. Sjur Røthe 17:19.2
7. Alexander Legkov 17:19.8
8. Paul Constantin Pepene 17:21.1
9. Toni Livers 17:22.1
10. Ivan Babikov 17:24.6
11. Noah Hoffman 17:28.8
12. Sergey Ustiugov 17:29.5
13. Maurice Manificat 17:30.1
14. Stanislav Volzhentsev 17:33.8
15. Niklas Dyrhaug 17:43.9
16. Alex Harvey 17:51.7
17. Lucas Bögl 17:55.9
18. Devon Kershaw 17:59.5
19. Adrien Backscheider 18:08.7
20. Curdin Perl 18:09.8

22. Francesco De Fabiani 18:17.7
25. Petter Northug 18:22.2
26. Maxim Vylegzhanin 18:23.4
28. Alexey Poltoranin 18:25.8
37. Hans Christer Holund 18:49.8 (slower than Johaug)
41. Didrik Tønseth 18:57.9

Fourcade isn't going to lose a 20k in Ruhpolding. It's a discipline he pretty much dominates in any venue other than Östersund, and Ruhpolding's are his favourite trails. Races are typically skier-biased there because of an easy range approach and tough skiing trails, so with his advantage from the skiing and confidence that he will hit at least as many targets as his rivals, it's clear he's the obvious favourite by some way. Even giving up over a minute to Eder in absolute range time.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Looks like the unpredictable snow conditions is going to decide the 20k in Ruhpolding. As long as MF doesn't win . . .

Edit: And JBoe with a trademark breakdown when about to win. Simon Eder, it is up to you to prevent disaster!
Unpredictable snow conditions (much faster skiing for later starters) and for Moravec fall. He tripped over Johannes Boe after Johannes fell when tripped over some Belarusian. If not for that, he would be on the podium. Quite a lot of bad luck for Czech biathlets this year, but at least some would be happy.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Strong world cup organizers/nations including Anders Besseberg don't want Czech republic amongst other regular world cup venues (Oestersund, Hochfilzen, Oberhof, Ruhpolding, Anterselva, Oslo, Khanty). That could be rather surprising after succesful world championship in 2013 (most did't believe that Czech handle the world champs back then) and still more succesful last season world cup, which had biggest attendace, best atmosphere of all and viewer rating too. Biathlonworld.com wrote that Nové Město is new Mekka of biathlon one year ago... It's about money, of course, Biathlon is more and more about money. So Czech IBU delegates iniciated proposal for world cup restructuralization - there would be more world cup venues, but maximum length would be three days. I'm curious how "chosen ones" solve this situation.

Re:

Kokoso said:
Strong world cup organizers/nations including Anders Besseberg don't want Czech republic amongst other regular world cup venues (Oestersund, Hochfilzen, Oberhof, Ruhpolding, Anterselva, Oslo, Khanty). That could be rather surprising after succesful world championship in 2013 (most did't believe that Czech handle the world champs back then) and still more succesful last season world cup, which had biggest attendace, best atmosphere of all and viewer rating too. Biathlonworld.com wrote that Nové Město is new Mekka of biathlon one year ago... It's about money, of course, Biathlon is more and more about money. So Czech IBU delegates iniciated proposal for world cup restructuralization - there would be more world cup venues, but maximum length would be three days. I'm curious how "chosen ones" solve this situation.
If what you're saying is true, then that is really a sad development. Nove Mesto has provided some great racing. Even though the tracks itself are not that interesting, the attendance and atmosphere surpasses that of many classic WC destinations. If IBU wants to globalize the sport (or just expand it to new territories), then surely it would be a good idea to include Nove Mesto regularly.

For different reasons I also think Le Grand Bornand in France should be used more often. While I don't know about the actual snow conditions there, it seems only fair that a classic biathlon-nation like France gets a home venue.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of expanding the world cup to North America though. With a very packed program, it will not be fair to the athletes to make them take the trip over the Athlantic Sea.

Khanty is being replaced by Tyumen from next year though, there's a bit of rivalry in the Russian scene between the two bases. Pokljuka has also renewed, which is a bit odd; though a lot of athletes really like it and, being high altitude, it's probably in a better position early season than a lot of venues if there's a lack of snow like we've had this year, but it's also the smallest World Cup venue, and Slovenia's position in the sport is pretty marginal at the moment - even Jakov Fak, their one bankable star, has been nowhere this year. Then again, I'm not sure Kontiolahti will have much sway once Kaisa's retired either. Pokljuka has the benefit of being an easy drive from Hochfilzen that ties the calendar together, though. Nové Mesto had the benefit of big crowds and can surely pull in more money than Pokljuka, but I do agree with C>tR in that the tracks are really dull and it doesn't provide for the best racing. The atmosphere is the big draw to it. That said, I'm surprised they're not striking while the iron is hot in the Czech Republic, you'd have thought it was the ideal time.

The North American trips are only once in a while (seem to be every 5 years or so) and those countries do have plenty of connection to the sport, so I'm not that fussed by them, Canmore and Presque Isle will be off the calendar again next season. If they were going to North America every year it would be more of an issue because more traditional venues would miss out. As it's already an existing biathlon venue I don't know if they'll have to do a Pyeongchang test event next season either - they've done a one-year-before test event at Soldier Hollow, Cesana, Whistler and Sochi. Lenzerheide will likely be looking to join in the fun at the World Cup level before long too. Still, Nové Mesto is seemingly alternating World Cups and IBU Cups, so at least it's not going the way of most Olympic venues since Lillehammer, or gathering dust like the likes of Ak Bulak or Torsby.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Khanty is being replaced by Tyumen from next year though, there's a bit of rivalry in the Russian scene between the two bases. Pokljuka has also renewed, which is a bit odd; though a lot of athletes really like it and, being high altitude, it's probably in a better position early season than a lot of venues if there's a lack of snow like we've had this year, but it's also the smallest World Cup venue, and Slovenia's position in the sport is pretty marginal at the moment - even Jakov Fak, their one bankable star, has been nowhere this year. Then again, I'm not sure Kontiolahti will have much sway once Kaisa's retired either. Pokljuka has the benefit of being an easy drive from Hochfilzen that ties the calendar together, though. Nové Mesto had the benefit of big crowds and can surely pull in more money than Pokljuka, but I do agree with C>tR in that the tracks are really dull and it doesn't provide for the best racing. The atmosphere is the big draw to it. That said, I'm surprised they're not striking while the iron is hot in the Czech Republic, you'd have thought it was the ideal time.

The North American trips are only once in a while (seem to be every 5 years or so) and those countries do have plenty of connection to the sport, so I'm not that fussed by them, Canmore and Presque Isle will be off the calendar again next season. If they were going to North America every year it would be more of an issue because more traditional venues would miss out. As it's already an existing biathlon venue I don't know if they'll have to do a Pyeongchang test event next season either - they've done a one-year-before test event at Soldier Hollow, Cesana, Whistler and Sochi. Lenzerheide will likely be looking to join in the fun at the World Cup level before long too. Still, Nové Mesto is seemingly alternating World Cups and IBU Cups, so at least it's not going the way of most Olympic venues since Lillehammer, or gathering dust like the likes of Ak Bulak or Torsby.
They are not striking, while the iron is hot? How do you know?

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Because they're not putting regular World Cups in Nové Město ;)
Smart ass, eh? You know actually nothing if they are trying or not. They are trying, it's even obvious from what I've written. Sometimes you try hard but you fail. Go and run hundred metres under ten seconds. Did you manage? No? You aren't trying enough. More money pulls the one with rich sponsor, that's it. I think you are little bit biased. Really dull tracks, every other are just fine.

Kokoso said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Smart ass, eh? You know actually nothing if they are trying or not. They are trying, it's even obvious from what I've written. Sometimes you try hard but you fail. Go and run hundred metres under ten seconds. Did you manage? No? You aren't trying enough. More money pulls the one with rich sponsor, that's it. I think you are little bit biased. Really dull tracks, every other are just fine.
I mean the IBU aren't striking while the iron is hot, not the Nové Mesto organizers, who seem to be doing all they can to keep things going, hosting IBU Cups in years they don't have the World Cup, the Open European Championships in 2014, bringing in the XC World Cup and hosting a Summer Biathlon World Championships one year (though I think that was before they held the World Championships), so I have no problem with what the organizers at Nové Mesto are doing. The IBU should be working with the Nové Mesto organizers to capitalise on the success of the 2013 Worlds. Surely the attraction to sponsors must be more there than Pokljuka, which has great trails but is a much smaller venue in a much smaller country with far less marketable biathlon talent than the Czech Republic at the moment. And if not, the IBU should be working to try to help them with that, because the audience size would likely make Nové Mesto a more profitable venue for them to use than some of the smaller ones they use, certainly including Presque Isle and Kontiolahti.

And yes, Nové Mesto has some of the least interesting trails in World Cup level biathlon. Cance>theRest pointed that out as well, it's not me having some bias against the Czech Republic or anything, it's widely acknowledged that it has a great atmosphere but especially the short loops are very flat and therefore it's difficult to open up big gaps on the skis. Antholz is another famous biathlon venue with some pretty dull trails. Ruhpolding is the other way round; the trails are great, but the range approach is easy and the range is sheltered, so the shooting doesn't tend to have the same impact there.

Libertine Seguros said:
Kokoso said:
Libertine Seguros said:
I mean the IBU aren't striking while the iron is hot, not the Nové Mesto organizers, who seem to be doing all they can to keep things going, hosting IBU Cups in years they don't have the World Cup, the Open European Championships in 2014, bringing in the XC World Cup and hosting a Summer Biathlon World Championships one year (though I think that was before they held the World Championships), so I have no problem with what the organizers at Nové Mesto are doing. The IBU should be working with the Nové Mesto organizers to capitalise on the success of the 2013 Worlds. Surely the attraction to sponsors must be more there than Pokljuka, which has great trails but is a much smaller venue in a much smaller country with far less marketable biathlon talent than the Czech Republic at the moment. And if not, the IBU should be working to try to help them with that, because the audience size would likely make Nové Mesto a more profitable venue for them to use than some of the smaller ones they use, certainly including Presque Isle and Kontiolahti.

And yes, Nové Mesto has some of the least interesting trails in World Cup level biathlon. Cance>theRest pointed that out as well, it's not me having some bias against the Czech Republic or anything, it's widely acknowledged that it has a great atmosphere but especially the short loops are very flat and therefore it's difficult to open up big gaps on the skis. Antholz is another famous biathlon venue with some pretty dull trails. Ruhpolding is the other way round; the trails are great, but the range approach is easy and the range is sheltered, so the shooting doesn't tend to have the same impact there.
Antholz is terrible, totally. Just some small 10m ramps here and there.
Kontiolahti, on the other hand, is one of the best with the monster "wall".

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
...it almost seems like the norwegians, or was it just svendsen have a sh-shsh...shipulin complex :D an over a minute advantage magnificently earned by a team was almost squandered to a single last-starter shipulin. thankfully they survived this time...

Re:

python said:
...it almost seems like the norwegians, or was it just svendsen have a sh-shsh...shipulin complex :D an over a minute advantage magnificently earned by a team was almost squandered to a single last-starter shipulin. thankfully they survived this time...
Shipulin is a beast on the last loop with his furious clean shooting. I can understand Emil :D
That being said, Norway should really try out Tarjei on the last loop with the outstanding form he showed today (arguably the best individual performance of anyone today). Emil says so himself

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
today is a good day for watching winter sports...much earlier starts and well sequenced. :)

anyways, the just finished sprint qualifications in planica are interesting in terms its representation. the fastest was of course, pellegrino, but the most represented nation (if i still know how to count) is...france, total 5 in the top 30 with 4 in the top 10. the norges also count 5 but with slower times. actually, i was surprised by the hattestad being so low, the 25th.

among other mild surprises were petukhov not making it and kriukov not being entered at all...also, calle halfvarsson seems in good enough health to qualify the 16th. i don't see anyone being able to stop pelle.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
jeezess ferk ! who remembers a world cup sprint final without a single norgwegian :confused: &#63 i certainly don't and doubt most xc fans minded the cosmic occurrence :)

other than taking my hat to pellegrino, i want say again and again that i love stina...love for being faster, smarter and most certainly more gorgeous than the automatons clad in red. no disrespect to the norge girls intended.

Re:

python said:
today is a good day for watching winter sports...much earlier starts and well sequenced. :)

anyways, the just finished sprint qualifications in planica are interesting in terms its representation. the fastest was of course, pellegrino, but the most represented nation (if i still know how to count) is...france, total 5 in the top 30 with 4 in the top 10. the norges also count 5 but with slower times. actually, i was surprised by the hattestad being so low, the 25th.

among other mild surprises were petukhov not making it and kriukov not being entered at all...also, calle halfvarsson seems in good enough health to qualify the 16th. i don't see anyone being able to stop pelle.

Kriukov is back in Russia. Trying to get his form back, he is training and doing something similar that he did before winning in Vancouver 2010. Petukhov is definitely off form. He can't even qualify on course that's well suited for him, fast, flat...He's 32 though, and his best days are behind him. If he doesn't do something leading up to Lahti next year, where the sprint is skate, I think he'll call it quits. Hattestad as well. Both of them have kids now, so I am sure their heads aren't 100% into skiing. Can't blame them for that. The French doing so well isn't a shocker. Perhaps 3 in the final is a surprise, but it's skating, it's at altitude, dry, compact snow, some lethargic bodies and a slightly weakened field by the TDS ending last week, and you have success. Similar situation to Davos. Skating, altitude, compact hard snow. A perfect mix for the Alpine nations (France, Italy, Switzerland, Slovenia, Austria). Even the Germans had a good day with a skier in both the women's and men's finals! Nice to see that as well.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Nice result and racing in the women's relay from Ruhpolding. Very deserved victory for Ukraine
One heck of the race. Dahlmeier beaten by Pidhrusna fair and square, German public very unsportmanlike, spectacular blew by Pisareva.

Have to say, Dahlmeier glory gets in her head and she's quieta annoying recently. To say after victory that she doesn't even train much a doesn't even know, what could she do better at the same time, some boasting there.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i was watching biathlon only sporadically...indeed, the ukrainian girls should be congratulated.

but the real action for me was in the skating team sprints and i must say i was not disappointed by stina. she is a young, beautiful girl but her physical power makes her skating style akin to guys skating. where most, including the norwegian gals would v1, she would comfortably stay in v2 uphills. its like climbing on a 53 tooth ring...

pellegrino is just too superior at the moment...the finishing order curiously was exactly the same as in the individual sprint.

TRENDING THREADS