• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyone here following the World Junior/U23 Championships from Romania? Very warm, barely enough snow to hold the races, but the organizers have seemingly done a great job of having the courses as ready as they could be in 10 Celsius (and more) weather. Results wise, it's the usual Scandinavia/Russia/Germany dominance of the younger categories, but also some great performances by the French boys, Magnus Kim (half Norwegian, half Korean), a medal for Slovenia...

The Weng twins (cousins of Heidi Weng) are really good and have been at or near the top of their age groups for the past few years. It'll be interesting to see how good they'll be at the WC level.

Magnus Kim just came back from Lillehammer where he won a couple gold medals for juniors under 18. He lives and trains in Norway, but chose to represent Korea as his mother is Korean. He seems like he is physically quite mature. I think he'll be too young to be a factor in the 2018 Olympics, but he's a real talent, can be good at sprint and distance.

Alexey Chervotkin is a name that has been talked about for the last few seasons as well. He dominated World Juniors in Kazakhstan last year, winning 3 gold medals and getting a 22nd place in Lahti last season. This year he finished 6th at the Nove Mesto 15km skate just a month ago AND was part of the Russian team that finished 2nd in the relay a day after that. The kid can fly. That said, his form isn't quite as good as it was a month ago. He 'only' got a silver at the 15km classic and 6th in the 15km skate race today. Krueger, Burman, some of the French guys, and a few others have already raced WC's at some point or another this season and last, so they are all very good.

Great to see the Slovenian girls skiing well again. Lea Einfalt finished 2nd. She's had some top 30's on the WC already and the Slovenian women could use some more distance skiers and all rounders. Also watch out for Anamarija Lampic and Nika Razinger. Lampic just missed out on making the final in the Drammen world cup (finished 7th there) and Razinger has some top 30's as well. They could do some damage once they get some more experience and fully develop.

The Swedes have had pretty good success a couple gold medals and they too, have had skiers on the WC. This isn't unusual, in fact, it happens often, that U23 skiers are regulars on the WC tour and still compete at the U23 level. Like I mentioned, Krueger, Burman, Chervotkin, Einfalt, Lampic, the French, have all had forays on the senior circuit. De Fabbiani and Nilsson, for example, are miles ahead in the U23 competition on the regular WC tour, but are getting ready for Canada, so probably a good thing they skipped these races.

Germany has been up and down in Romania, but I think their women could be good in the future. Victoria Karl is a name to watch out for. The Germans could use one or two skiers that can potentially challenge the Norwegians.

Anastasia Sedova, sister of Petr Sedov, won the 10km classic and finished 3rd today. Peaked well for these races and hasn't actually skied a WC in her career. The Russian women desperately need women that can actually ski fast. Time will tell if she can translate junior and U23 medals into WC medals.

Anything else that should be worth mentioning?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:

Anything else that should be worth mentioning?
you covered a good deal. i am following the races, but only with one eye...

unfortunately, b/c there's no live (as far as i know) tv coverage, it's difficult to inject more sense (or any intelligence for that matter) in the eventual blind results. what's left, as usual, is looking at the gaps sensibility. which takes me to a sedova surprise (not only her non appearance at the wc), but also her 1.5 min gap on the rest of her teammates that were, unlike sedova, entered several times in the wc races.

this type of outlying performance should be a flag. what else ? french skaters continue to assert themselves. particularly in sprints.

Victoria Carl has made noises about going to biathlon in the last year or two, but luckily for the German XC team, at the moment the biathlon team is strong which means she's better served staying where she is. They've lost Sarah Schaber, junior skiathlon champion a year or two ago, to the rifle-sport even though she has really struggled to adapt to the shooting: a Vanessa Hinz or Célia Aymonier-like quick transition doesn't seem likely in her case.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
it seems like the tour de ski was only yesterday, and now another tour is about to close the season - the tour of canada starts tomorrow...8 races in 12 days.

as far as i could find, all major national teams (except, strangely, the russians) have already been officially announced. that is, we know all this season's leaders will be there (including i suppose, but have no way to verify, the russians).

the tour is quite different from the tds in that there will be no final monster climb like alp cermis and that 3 of the 8 races are 100% sprints. clearly, such a format favours sprint-prone all-rounders like northug, krogh and perhaps their nemesis ustiugov...the intrigue will be in how many bonus points 'pure' sprinters will be able to snatch away from the gc favourites. my guess, the iterations over a number of pure sprinters inclusion could be the reason why the russians haven't finalized the team so late. i'd love to see ustiugov crash the red machine. i do think he intends to as he was rumored (along with his reto/knaute teammates) to fly to canada a week earlier than the rest of their team.

sundby wants to and said he's ready to dominate again. the canadians with harvey intend to shine in a home tour. i hope, but got tired to wait, that the swedish turn will finally come. kalla and hellner have to deliver. and of course the french and the finns will resist the red domination..

i am waiting in excitement...

Re:

python said:
it seems like the tour de ski was only yesterday, and now another tour is about to close the season - the tour of canada starts tomorrow...8 races in 12 days.

as far as i could find, all major national teams (except, strangely, the russians) have already been officially announced. that is, we know all this season's leaders will be there (including i suppose, but have no way to verify, the russians).

the tour is quite different from the tds in that there will be no final monster climb like alp cermis and that 3 of the 8 races are 100% sprints. clearly, such a format favours sprint-prone all-rounders like northug, krogh and perhaps their nemesis ustiugov...the intrigue will be in how many bonus points 'pure' sprinters will be able to snatch away from the gc favourites. my guess, the iterations over a number of pure sprinters inclusion could be the reason why the russians haven't finalized the team so late. i'd love to see ustiugov crash the red machine. i do think he intends to as he was rumored (along with his reto/knaute teammates) to fly to canada a week earlier than the rest of their team.

sundby wants to and said he's ready to dominate again. the canadians with harvey intend to shine in a home tour. i hope, but got tired to wait, that the swedish turn will finally come. kalla and hellner have to deliver. and of course the french and the finns will resist the red domination..

i am waiting in excitement...

I had decent size reply, but wasn't able to submit the first time, so I'll just say this. It's gonna be an exciting tour for many reasons. First, it's great that it ends in N. America, Canada, to be precise. This is something different for the tour and it's nice to see them going to new venues like Gatineau and Montreal. Quebec City hosted two sprint races in december 2012 and obviously Canmore has hosted the WC on numerous occasions since the 1988 Olympics. Hopefully the home team does better than they have this season, but realistically, only Harvey has a chance to make something happen, particularly in the overall standings. The women have really not had anyone since Crawford retired two years ago, and they'll be happy if one of them breaks into the top 30. The American women will be tough, again, and with the quota they have racing in N. America, some more chances of new skiers coming to the fore. The men will be ok, but certainly nothing like the women.

Yes, I have high hopes for Ustiugov. He'll be a threat to the Norwegians, and I think if he's in good form, he has a real good shot at winning the overall tour and breaking up the Norwegian dominance at the overall wc ranking (he is 5th right now, but Dyrhaug is only 16 pts ahead and third is also mathematically possible, but he'll need to win the overall and one or two individual stages, but he's capable). The other Russians I think will be looking for individual glory, but I like the usual suspects, Legkov and Vylegzhanin for a chance at the tour podium. No hill climb means less chances for Legkov, but he's gotten a number of overall mini tour podiums without the need of Alpe Cermis, so too Vylegzhanin, who is really peaking at the right time. Bessmertnykh will be there for the classic stages and other guys like Belov, Larkov, Turyshev....not sure what they'll be able to do, but if the conditions are as they are predicted to be, cold(er), then they'll figure as well.

Hopefully no Norwegian 1-2-3-4-5, etc like we've had too many times this season. That's I will say on them.

The Swedes are getting better, it seems, finally. Looking forward to see what Hellner can do, what Kalla can do and whether or not Nilsson can snatch the overall sprint title from Falla and Oestberg who are in front of her. It's gonna be tough for her. The Drammen and Stockholm races where the jury ruled in favor of the Norwegians in both races, seems to have hurt her chances, but I think she's mentally tough enough to let that go and I think she'll win at least one of the three sprints in Canada.

Pellegrino is in a better position to win the sprint title, as he is ahead by a decent margin, but he'll need to still compete and be competitive and hopefully someone like Northug won't get on a roll and won't steal the overall away from him. Again, the less Norwegian victories, the better for the rest of the world.

Not sure about the rest of the field. The french men will be good, I assume, in the skate races and the two sprints (also skate), so I'll be surprised if they don't get at least one podium.

The German team hasn't had a breakthrough race this year. I think they've only had one podium, which was the Planic team sprint for the women, but other than that, it's been rather empty for them. I'll have to check the results, but I am pretty sure no individual podiums for either men or women. It's been a while since that has happened for them.

The Finnish women will be there to challenge, and they'll be factors in all the races. Their men are too up and down. I am not even gonna predict what they'll do or won't.

Poltoranin will also be there. He hasn't raced since he dropped out of the Oslo 50k. On one hand he'll be fresh, but on the other, too many weeks off of racing might make him a little lethargic to begin the tour. He's always good at the mini tours though, and there are enough classic races for him to leave a mark. The last stage is a 15km classic, handicap start pursuit (based on the overall tour standings up to that point), but I am not certain that he'll be fighting for a win or a podium.

I am excited for the start tomorrow!!!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
python said:
snapped my own rant for brevity...

The Swedes are getting better, it seems, finally. Looking forward to see what Hellner can do, what Kalla can do and whether or not Nilsson can snatch the overall sprint title from Falla and Oestberg who are in front of her. It's gonna be tough for her. The Drammen and Stockholm races where the jury ruled in favor of the Norwegians in both races, seems to have hurt her chances, but I think she's mentally tough enough to let that go and I think she'll win at least one of the three sprints in Canada.
i agree. stina is young and a 'fatty' (according to the norwegian media). but...but, as far as i could investigate the quebec sprints elevation profiles, they aren't outrageously challenging, that is, stina being a physically bigger girl compared to falla and oestberg, and therefor more powerful, should be less disadvantaged as a 'fatty'. i am too biased ( her fan) and therefore didn't even mention her. hellner is a dark horse, but a racing thoroughbred for sure. he sure can skate sprint, and actually has beaten petter 2-3 years back, but he has to be healthy...

re the other points you made, i think belov will be the 2nd best russian overall, though legkov and vyleg will certainly be very competitive, particularly in the skiathlon.

and to close, i read earlier that loefshus whined to his home media that having no their waxing truck around could be a problem, particularly in quebec. he also complained that unlike in europe, they will not be able to supply the exclusively norwegian food to the team.

i am just wondering, what's wrong with eating local and what' s in that norwegian food that it has to be the choice for them :confused:

sounds understandable to prefer the national cuisine, but a little weird nonetheless :rolleyes:

python said:
BullsFan22 said:
python said:

i agree. stina is young and a 'fatty' (according to the norwegian media). but...but, as far as i could investigate the quebec sprints elevation profiles, they aren't outrageously challenging, that is, stina being a physically bigger girl compared to falla and oestberg, and therefor more powerful, should be less disadvantaged as a 'fatty'. i am too biased ( her fan) and therefore didn't even mention her. hellner is a dark horse, but a racing thoroughbred for sure. he sure can skate sprint, and actually has beaten petter 2-3 years back, but he has to be healthy...

re the other points you made, i think belov will be the 2nd best russian overall, though legkov and vyleg will certainly be very competitive, particularly in the skiathlon.

and to close, i read earlier that loefshus whined to his home media that having no their waxing truck around could be a problem, particularly in quebec. he also complained that unlike in europe, they will not be able to supply the exclusively norwegian food to the team.

i am just wondering, what's wrong with eating local and what' s in that norwegian food that it has to be the choice for them :confused:

sounds understandable to prefer the national cuisine, but a little weird nonetheless :rolleyes:

This. I think the Norwegians, more so than any other nation on the tour, feel like everything should be served to them on a platter (pun intended). Remember, they complained in Sochi, when apparently their waxers were not let on the courses at certain times so they whined about not getting enough experience with the snow and the type of skis and wax they might have been able to use. It's understandable to feel as comfortable as you can, but if they wanted everything the wanted from home to be in Canada, they should have just stayed home. Of course we all want to sleep in our beds every night, but it's not always gonna happen. It's not like they are traveling to North Korea. You are not going to be isolated from everything else. What they get, everyone else is going to get. They are also not the best of 'losers.' There is always an excuse when they don't win races. It's either bad skis, bad form, not enough time to wax or test skis, the foreigners were doping, Hellner put glue on Northug's skate skis before the race...There is always something!

i can't believe i miss almost the full XC WC on holiday. only going to get to see the mixed relay, which men do the Norwegians pick? surely the Boe brothers have that wrapped up, regardless of Svendson/OEB being the bigger stars.

Looks as if the course in Gatineau is in decent shape, maybe on the fast side as well, but these are some big gaps in the women's qualifying. Yes, it is the women's field, where the differences can be significant, but these are strange results. Hanna Falk is no stranger to sprint success, it's just taken her a bit to regain some of the spark she had in her first couple years as a senior, where she won a couple sprint races. Plus she hasn't raced that much and is probably more fresh than most of the skiers, but still, big time gaps for a sprint, even if it's two laps and 1.7km total.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Looks as if the course in Gatineau is in decent shape, maybe on the fast side as well, but these are some big gaps in the women's qualifying. Yes, it is the women's field, where the differences can be significant, but these are strange results. Hanna Falk is no stranger to sprint success, it's just taken her a bit to regain some of the spark she had in her first couple years as a senior, where she won a couple sprint races. Plus she hasn't raced that much and is probably more fresh than most of the skiers, but still, big time gaps for a sprint, even if it's two laps and 1.7km total.
a couple slight surprises in the lady's field, but overall the course flatness seems to favour raw power...

the men's qual is in progress.. the gaps are smaller but seems to follow the similar flow...northug is leading, hamilton just posted an excellent 2nd fast with ustiugov currently in 3d...pelle is 2.08 behind currently in 7th.

belov is the only other russian hanging on to top 30 but i see him pushed down as there is still 1/2 to start...

Re:

Singer01 said:
i can't believe i miss almost the full XC WC on holiday. only going to get to see the mixed relay, which men do the Norwegians pick? surely the Boe brothers have that wrapped up, regardless of Svendson/OEB being the bigger stars.
It will be the Boe brothers - with Eckhoff and Olsbu. Quite a strong team, but I think the Czechs and Germany are bigger favourites. France is an outsider aswell, if the weaker links in the chain perform well. I think the russians need more depth on the women's side, while Italy lacks class athletes on the men's side - in order to win, atleast.

python said:
BullsFan22 said:
a couple slight surprises in the lady's field, but overall the course flatness seems to favour raw power...

the men's qual is in progress.. the gaps are smaller but seems to follow the similar flow...northug is leading, hamilton just posted an excellent 2nd fast with ustiugov currently in 3d...pelle is 2.08 behind currently in 7th.

belov is the only other russian hanging on to top 30 but i see him pushed down as there is still 1/2 to start...

Yep. The usual suspects are there in the men's field as well. This course suits the likes of Hamilton. It's a fast, flat course. Him being a pure sprinter clearly shows that. Plus it's skate. The Norwegians have massed again. It seems as if coming over across the pond will have no effect. Sundby came a few days later as well. His wife just gave birth again. The guy is unreal this season. He is now qualifying within the top 10, in a flat, fast sprint.

python said:
BullsFan22 said:
python said:

Contador does like his Spanish beef.

Three Norges in the final taking up three last places, with Northug worst of them. Lovely! :p

Disappointed a bit about Pellegrino, at least Northug didn't gain too much on him in the end. Ustjugov was a class above everyone though. Lead from the front in a quarterfinal, came back from broken pole in a semi, and did a perfect tactical race in the final itself. No-one could touch him today.

Absolutely brilliant thinking by Stina Nilsson in the quarters, letting Ringwald pass her before the line, so as herself could drop into the far weaker second semifinal. Unfortunately in the end, Falla was just too strong.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

Blaaswix said:
..sounds understandable to prefer the national cuisine...

I do think that in a clean run-off between Norwegian and Quebecoise, essentially French, cuisine, Norway would not be in a strong position. :p
that was one of my amazements...every january (at least for the last 12 years) i travel with my family to the laurentians...one of the common attractions for all of us is the quebec food..we do different things - i xc ski with my younger daughter, while the wife downhills with the older girl, but we absolutely looove the food. mind you, i grew up om the causine similar to theirs...

but let me get to the race that just ended. there was very little i did not like, except i'd love to see stina winning ! the best sign of the norwegian FAILURE was that the nrk, unlike their typical smacking their wins, had immediately stopped broadcasting after the ustiugov finish :D

let me 1st give his due to the winner. ustiugov was clearly running a tactical race and was both the strongest and the smartest. i saw the following signs of his levelheadedness: 1) deliberate taking the last position out of the blocks to then confidently accelerate in the last 1.5 minutes of his heats; 2) despite breaking a pole in one of the heats he chased and practically won (says much about his confidence) 3) frequent looking back, less aggressive than his usual. in one word, serhey is beginning to feel his class and use it where it mattered.

the 2nd impression was why in the green forking world did northug choose one of the last quarterfinal heats given he was the qual winner and knew that he is undercutting his own recovery for the finals :confused: the only reasonable answer in my head is he wanted to avoid the direct early confrontation with serhey.

the other random thoughts relate to a relative unsatisfactory performance by pelle.i think he was overpowered by the bigger guys on a relatively flat course. the case in point could be the therese huge gaps to the bigger girls (iirc, 12+ sec in the quals). harvey i did think could podium but reaching a final is a very good result too. hamilton is the man ! oh, and the french did everything we knew they are capable of in a skate sprint.

what else ? the rest of the russians who did not qualify should still be taken very seriously b/c i think belov and legkov aren't really good at sprinting but did respectably. vyleg ? he did waaay below my expectations. many more thoughts, including the hellner performance i thought ok etc etc

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Cance > TheRest said:
Singer01 said:
It will be the Boe brothers - with Eckhoff and Olsbu. Quite a strong team, but I think the Czechs and Germany are bigger favourites. France is an outsider aswell, if the weaker links in the chain perform well. I think the russians need more depth on the women's side, while Italy lacks class athletes on the men's side - in order to win, atleast.
Czechs are not this time, I can see only one man doing decently.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
today are classic mass start races, 13 km and 20 km, not the standard distances we are used to.

much will depend on the norwegian tactics, whether sundby will try his usual stretching and breaking the peloton from the front. in that regard, the course profile may prove important. here it is:
http://medias4.fis-ski.com/pdf/2016/CC/2125/2016CC2125PROG.pdf

for men, i dont find it particularly challenging. the 4km loop, while twisty, isn't all that bumpy. plenty of straightaways and gentle turns. the finishing 10 m high bump is preceded by a long, .7 km downhill. so the action for the best finishing postion will start about mid-loop...obviously, the course favours a glide wax over gripping. will anyone dare to show up on his skating skis ? i would not be surprised. plus, the weather is predicted to be frosty and windy, which promises hard tracks. the type of conditions that suit such power and strength skiers like northug, ustiugov, sundby, belov, iversen... perhaps legkov but less so vyleg and krogh. but this is all in theory.

i do think that the pace will be very high from getgo as there arent many hills on which to split the field.

we'll see soon :)