• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 328 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nyenget and Toenseth showing yet again how dumb was the Norwegian coach in picking Iversen for the Olympics. Huge victory for Nyenget the best place possible for him to get his first.

Niskanen and Poromaa really seemed to have worse skis but at least Niskanen did once again too much work, too early and wasted his biggest career chance of winning in Holmenkollen
Yeah, one of those 2 and Amundsen instead of Iversen and Taugboel and things would have looked different in the relay.
The big surprise today was Roethe, who had been bad at classic skiing all season long despite getting good skating results.

The big surprise today was Roethe, who had been bad at classic skiing all season long despite getting good skating results.

He was actually a bit disappointed after the race. Mostly for not winning, but also for finding his classical form later than planned. Sounds a bit silly, but there is a lot of discussions on the failure of planning into the olympics within the team.

In today's pursuit Norway got 5 athletes until the 15th place without the Boe brothers at the start. 4 of these are 25 or younger and there is also Dale that has been almost absent of the World Cup this year but was 5th last year. It seems that after a few years in which France was able to give them a proper fight, Norway will become the dominant force again.

In today's pursuit Norway got 5 athletes until the 15th place without the Boe brothers at the start. 4 of these are 25 or younger and there is also Dale that has been almost absent of the World Cup this year but was 5th last year. It seems that after a few years in which France was able to give them a proper fight, Norway will become the dominant force again.
So 4 out of 6 golds and 8 out of 16 medals in the just finished Olympics isn't dominant enough for you?

So 4 out of 6 golds and 8 out of 16 medals in the just finished Olympics isn't dominant enough for you?

I was not referring to the Beijing Olympics but taking a long run perspective and during the second half of Martin Fourcade's career, with Fillion Maillet, Desthieux, Jacquelin, Guigonnat and Simon Fourcade, France had a team as good as Norway something that doesn't seem to be happening in the next 5 years or so.

If you want to compare Olympic results then just look at how poor Norway was in the Pyongchang Olympics to see how they were not dominant back then.

Last edited:
I was not referring to the Beijing Olympics but taking a long run perspective and during the second half of Martin Fourcade's career, with Fillion Maillet, Desthieux, Jacquelin and Simon Fourcade, France had a team as good as Norway something that doesn't seem to be happening in the next 5 years or so.

If you want to compare Olympic results then just look at how poor Norway was in the Pyongchang Olympics to see how they were not dominant back then.
Just more words to say that Norway isn't dominant enough in Biathlon.

Just more words to say that Norway isn't dominant enough in Biathlon.

No these are words to reinforce my point of view and also to give the appreciation that a great generation of French biathletes deserve. I don't know what is so shocking in my comment you just need to look at French biathletes result between 2017-2020 to see that they were very close to Norway.

Personally, I hope that Norway doesn't become dominant in biathlon as they were in cross-country until very recently, the sport doesn't need that.

No these are words to reinforce my point of view and also to give the appreciation that a great generation of French biathletes deserve. I don't know what is so shocking in my comment you just need to look at French biathletes result between 2017-2020 to see that they were very close to Norway.

Personally, I hope that Norway doesn't become dominant in biathlon as they were in cross-country until very recently, the sport doesn't need that.
You are wasteing your time. Discgear has an insane hardon for Norwegians.

Last edited:
What’s the longest distance they ever race in biathlon?
At the IBU level, 20/15 in the Individual is the longest race. In the Russian domestic calendar they have the "Marafon" (i.e. marathon) which is 40/30 with 8 visits to the range, but it's very rarely used and somebody like Khalili who has only just come out of juniors a couple of years ago and been in the international team ever since probably won't have done those. I believe men usually do 10x 4km with no shooting after the first lap, and the women 9x the 3,3km lap.

At the IBU level, 20/15 in the Individual is the longest race. In the Russian domestic calendar they have the "Marafon" (i.e. marathon) which is 40/30 with 8 visits to the range, but it's very rarely used and somebody like Khalili who has only just come out of juniors a couple of years ago and been in the international team ever since probably won't have done those. I believe men usually do 10x 4km with no shooting after the first lap, and the women 9x the 3,3km lap.
Thanks. So it seems a biathlete who has superb long-distance endurance capacity wouldn’t be able to use that to their advantage.

TRENDING THREADS