• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 394 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On these 10k classic individual starts only a top shape Niskanen or Bolshunov can beat Klæbo.

16th win of the season, ties Sundby for the record of World Cup wins in the same season and with a couple of races yet to be raced. Whether the Russians return or not let's hope that FIS reduced the number of sprints during the season and increases the number (and length of distance races) otherwise next seasons will be as boring as these one.

Reactions: jsem94
If Russia were allowed back in would they be competitive? Is their national scene strong enough and would the athletes have been motivated enough without the exposure of Olympics, World Cup, World Champs etc

They have at least 6 distance skiiers (Bolshunov, Spitsov, Yakimushkin, Chervotkin, Maltsev and Ustiugov) that could all beat Klaebo in freestyle distance races on a good day plus Semikov who is having a season of his life in both freestyle and classic They have great young skier in Saveliy Korostelev and an incredible sprinter in Terentyev. So, yes, they're scene is really strong.

If Russia were allowed back in would they be competitive? Is their national scene strong enough and would the athletes have been motivated enough without the exposure of Olympics, World Cup, World Champs etc

The Russians won 3 more medals than the Norwegians in Beijing last year, including winning both relays, plus a number of other top 5 results. Also, their juniors dominated the world juniors. Yes, they would be competitive. The only men’s team able to consistently rival the Norwegians is the Russian team.

The Russians won 3 more medals than the Norwegians in Beijing last year, including winning both relays, plus a number of other top 5 results. Also, their juniors dominated the world juniors. Yes, they would be competitive. The only men’s team able to consistently rival the Norwegians is the Russian team.
That's in the past though. If Real Madrid got relegated to 3rd division for a few years they would lose their edge.
I'm not saying they wouldn't come back to where they were eventually, but surely it would take a while to get up to speed?

I just love seeing Hennig's diagonal stride technique. Kerttu is all over the place, too much hip movement and the upper body is all over the place. Sure, she's got the bigger engine, but the efficiency isn't the same.

Of course we had a Norwegian show on the men's side. As much as I hate to admit it, (sport IS politics, and ostracizing Russia is imho important so for now the status quo being kept is quite important) the sport needs the Russian athletes competing.

The Russians being suspended while the US gets to compete while doing a lot worse for a lot longer is a big joke and full of hypocrisy and double standards.

That's in the past though. If Real Madrid got relegated to 3rd division for a few years they would lose their edge.
I'm not saying they wouldn't come back to where they were eventually, but surely it would take a while to get up to speed?

Well it was only a year ago. Missing one season isn’t devastating. It gave them some rest and recuperation. There are no major championships next season, if they come back next season, it’ll give them enough time to get back into the swing of things. There are a plethora of young skiers who are motivated by racing the national team skiers and the competitive races bear that out. There are plenty of skiers on that men’s team that could take the places of the Norwegians. The women’s team isn’t bad either, with defending Olympic, TDS and overall World Cup champion Nepryaeva.

I mean, the rivalry between the various Russian training groups was often more heated than the one with the Norwegians, so I doubt that competing against eachother has taken off the edge.

Sure, if it was for longer than 1 season that might happen, but at this stage PSG, Bayern München or Real/Barca not being allowed to play the CL for one league and only playing their league is probably a better analogy.

I just love seeing Hennig's diagonal stride technique. Kerttu is all over the place, too much hip movement and the upper body is all over the place. Sure, she's got the bigger engine, but the efficiency isn't the same.

Of course we had a Norwegian show on the men's side. As much as I hate to admit it, (sport IS politics, and ostracizing Russia is imho important so for now the status quo being kept is quite important) the sport needs the Russian athletes competing.
Frankly nobody on the women's side has a diagonal stride as stylish as Hennig's.

I'm kind of agree, but struggling to conclude if this says more about the russians or the norwegians...

They have at least 6 distance skiiers (Bolshunov, Spitsov, Yakimushkin, Chervotkin, Maltsev and Ustiugov) that could all beat Klaebo in freestyle distance races on a good day plus Semikov who is having a season of his life in both freestyle and classic They have great young skier in Saveliy Korostelev and an incredible sprinter in Terentyev. So, yes, they're scene is really strong.
I haven't seen any results from Russia this winter. Where do you find them?

I haven't seen any results from Russia this winter. Where do you find them?

The first races of their national championships just concluded. Nepryaeva and Ustiugov won the classic sprints. Comfortably.

Reactions: Eddy Evenepoel
Ok, I didn't expect Skistad to close that gap (after Sundling almost broke her on that climb) and outsprint Sundling like that. Granted, she had great skis, but her cornering and descending also seems to be top tier. I assumed that she was a lot better in classic sprints, but it looks like she's up there also in skating.

Ok, I didn't expect Skistad to close that gap (after Sundling almost broke her on that climb) and outsprint Sundling like that. Granted, she had great skis, but her cornering and descending also seems to be top tier. I assumed that she was a lot better in classic sprints, but it looks like she's up there also in skating.

I remember 4 years ago in Seefeld, she was looking great in the skating sprint before crashing in the semi-final, if I recall correctly.

Her top speed is like nothing I've seen in the women's side, I can totally see the Norwegians creating an easy course for her in Trondheim 2025 that would also benefit Klæbo in the distance races.

Wow, for all my criticisms of the ES International/British Eurosport team, at least they've never done anything like that.
I usually don't watch XC skiing on Italian TV, but the few times I do and it's a sprint the guy just keeps bringing it up for no reason.
Like, mentioning the fact where he's from Val-des-Prés and his mother is Djiboutian once during the Olympics when you have a larger audience as an interesting fact is one thing, but doing it all the time and making him some sort of exotic curiousity is just wtf!?

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site
Frankly nobody on the women's side has a diagonal stride as stylish as Hennig's.
I know but when is it going to start translating into victories? I feel it's been a nothing season for Henning.

Skistad is brilliant but Sundling has to learn to not keep choosing the inside lane as SKistad will keep blocking/slowing her down. Sundlings' only chance of victory is full speed from the gun so outside lane...oh and stop picking heat 3.

TRENDING THREADS