• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Now Alberto is out, who will win the 2012 Tour de France?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Now Alberto is out, who will win the 2012 Tour de France?

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kvinto said:
No, with Contador he would have a guaranteed 2nd with no chance of winning while now he has nothing guaranteed, but with some chance of victory.

Hm... I didn't think about it that way. You''re right. What I basically meant was that if Contador is there, he would have broken Evans and the other TTers, and Andy might be able to follow him somehow. Or at least ride away from the other contestants.

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hope its Menchov, got a bet on him at 80-1 a while ago! I think if Andy does well, then he'll drag Samu with him and away from the other GC people. It all depends on how well Andy climbs.

If Andy is on top form:
1. Andy
2. Menchov
3. Samu

if he isn't:

1. Cadel
2. Menchov
3. Wiggo

May 27, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
He would have a bigger chance to win with Contador.

That's what he would have to do with Contador there as well.

I wouldn't say that. You don't want to jinx him do you?

Yeah maybe Andy could follow Contador on the attack on the mountains.
Yup Evans has a much better chance now. Contador could have dropped him on the mountains and evans might not be able to get enough time on the TT.
Of course not, I will go mad if something goes wrong. Its his race to lose.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Dancing On The Pedals said:
I'm not so sure. The chances of Alberto's attack staying away to the finish was always quite slim I think, given that having been caught out by Andy on the Galibier stage, BMC would have been determined not to let it happen again. There was also quite a lot of flat between the bottom of the Galibier and the start of the climb up to Alpe d'Huez, in which BMC could drive the peloton to ensure they caught the break. On the Alpe itself, he was very strong I thought, both physically and tactically - although admittedly all he had to do was follow the Schleck's. He was very strong up the Galibier the day before as well.

I agree. Its true evans had brilliant form. It was the strongest I have ever seen him. He was great on the climbs and spartacus like in the TT.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Good to see Pisti in the Samu camp.

The sad thing is that we will not see that Contador Evans tt showdown as in 2013 Cadels fans will say hes too old, not on peak etc.

I believe evans could have beaten contador in the TT this year anyway:p

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I just hope that Evans doesn't crash out in the first week, and Menchov doesn't lose 3 minutes in the crosswinds somewhere on stage 2. Add to that an in-form Nibali, Samu and Schleck trying to climb away from the competition - and we got ourselves a race

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I think it will probably come down to a battle of the oldies ... Menchov took a bit of a "year off" last year so it'll be interesting to see if he can get back on top. My dark horse is Klöden ... between Horner and the Schlecks he could get a free ride to the final ITT. The podium will be between Menchov, Evans and Klöden or Andy. I wonder what the oldest TdF podium has been (combined)?