• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NYTimes article on Georgie as witness..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
As if Floyd and Tyler didn't know. :rolleyes:

That's what aggravates me about these reports, only if George says so then it must be true. I wonder when will the American dailies get their heads out of their a$$es.

Ditto, I see it as only placing him lower than Tyler and Floyd.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
soverylarry said:
Susan,

wasn't sure which thread to put this in. please move as you see fit. Just posted on NYtimes site 50 minutes ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/s...s-reluctant-but-reliable-witness.html?_r=1&hp
soverylarry said:
Susan,

wasn't sure which thread to put this in. please move as you see fit. Just posted on NYtimes site 50 minutes ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/s...s-reluctant-but-reliable-witness.html?_r=1&hp

it seems to me usada is fighting back with this leak. i'm very glad.

armmstrong is playing very hardball with his pr smear campaign against usada. this is the just retaliation.

you fight fire with fire.

Iker_Baqueiro said:
it seems to me usada is fighting back with this leak. i'm very glad.

armmstrong is playing very hardball with his pr smear campaign against usada. this is the just retaliation.

you fight fire with fire.

This isn't a leak. It's a story that Juliet Macur has been working on for weeks and weeks. USADA has nothing to do with this story and it's inappropriate for anyone to characterize it or misrepresent it as such.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
joe_papp said:
This isn't a leak. It's a story that Juliet Macur has been working on for weeks and weeks. USADA has nothing to do with this story and it's inappropriate for anyone to characterize it or misrepresent it as such.

Yea, thus far, the USADA hasn't missed a step, and they aren't playing petty games like Lance. They know their case is as solid as they get, and they have no reason to engage in children's games. It would only hurt their cause to leak something in retaliation.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
montagna lunga said:
Perhaps, except there is no revelation of what GH said, or did not say.

What is most telling is that there seem to be a dozen or more new intrigue-junkies in the Clinic, all posting USADA/Papp-style innuendo and meeting questions with over-the-top phony outrage, while the more wizened "sage" Clinicians chuckle

The clinic is at least as helpful and reliable a source as wikipedia. Or The National Enquirer. Or the Guardian. Enjoy the world you are creating, boys. I suspect it won't be ANYthing like your self-righteous net-arazzi have duped you into thinking it'll turn out to be.

Yawn...I'm sorry you believe in unicorns.

joe_papp said:

Saw that you're quoted in the piece. Rock star! ;) :p Did Macur contact you, or was that taken from somewhere else?

EDIT:
Joe Papp, a former pro cyclist and convicted steroid trafficker-turned-antidoping advocate, said Hincapie’s word will be “unimpeachable” and “will finally lead people to the point where they don’t believe Lance is innocent anymore.”

Armstrong's strategy so far has been to avoid discussing specific details in the allegations against him and instead focus on assassinating the character of those testifying against him. This was easier for him to do when it involved riders like Landis and Hamilton who took years to come clean about their drug use, it will be much more difficult for Armstrong to continue this tactic when it involves someone like Hincapie. If this story turns out to be true I am glad Hincapie made the difficult decision to come forward but still a bit disappointed in him for waiting so long and letting his former teammates take the brunt of the heat.

montagna lunga said:

What is most telling is that there seem to be a dozen or more new intrigue-junkies in the Clinic, all posting USADA/Papp-style innuendo and meeting questions with over-the-top phony outrage, while the more wizened "sage" Clinicians chuckle

The clinic is at least as helpful and reliable a source as wikipedia. Or The National Enquirer. Or the Guardian. Enjoy the world you are creating, boys. I suspect it won't be ANYthing like your self-righteous net-arazzi have duped you into thinking it'll turn out to be.

We love you too. Welcome to the clinic.

mr. tibbs said:
Saw that you're quoted in the piece. Rock star! ;) :p Did Macur contact you, or was that taken from somewhere else?

EDIT:

We spoke directly, probably over a month ago? I won't say I'd almost forgotten that we talked, but I was wondering what was taking so long and I see it was that she was chasing down some other big name sources. lol Bravo.

BTW: JM has a good grasp of these issues...

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:

Maybe both are true - she's been working on it for a while AND USADA just leaked some stuff. How you can you possibly claim to know what USADA has said in confidence to a reporter?

Topangarider said:
Maybe both are true - she's been working on it for a while AND USADA just leaked some stuff. How you can you possibly claim to know what USADA has said in confidence to a reporter?

I would bet my reputation on the fact that USADA does not leak confidential material to the media for unattributed publication.

Never mind the fact that would be in direct violation of their protocol and athletes' rights.

EDIT: oh I also know b/c I talked to her. d'oh.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
montagna lunga said:

No, we are much better than Wiki, and even the heralded New York Times.

In the article it says "Davis Phinney, the first American to win a Tour stage," - when of course the first American to win a stage was LeMond in 1985.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
joe_papp said:
I would bet my reputation on the fact that USADA does not leak confidential material to the media for unattributed publication.

Never mind the fact that would be in direct violation of their protocol and athletes' rights.

EDIT: oh I also know b/c I talked to her. d'oh.

Come on, when did the USADA care about an athlete's rights? In spite of the seemingly damming sins of Lance Armstrong it doesn't make the USADA beyond reproach, they're as dirty as everybody else rolling around in the mud right now.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Apollonius said:
Come on, when did the USADA care about an athlete's rights? In spite of the seemingly damming sins of Lance Armstrong it doesn't make the USADA beyond reproach, they're as dirty as everybody else rolling around in the mud right now.

Can you point out where USADA have been 'dirty'? Thanks.
I seem to remember another person claiming the same but when asked went silent.

The theme throughout the Hincapie piece is that we should all feel sorry for him, a good guy who fell into a bad situation.

Yet years later, he still makes public statements about Armstrong and how he's done so much for the sport instead of just being quiet.

Strip Hincapie of his fake halo, and you'll see what he truly was-an opportunist who reveled in the vapors of Armstrong's ridiculous Tour run and did what he could to take advantage of the reputation he's garnered as the peloton's "Captain America".

With his constant "no comments" to the media he's just trying to insulate himself as much as possible once the truth ever comes out. Because then we'll see the true Hincapie, an unrepentant serial doper who did nothing but hide behind his good-guy demeanor.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Can you point out where USADA have been 'dirty'? Thanks.
I seem to remember another person claiming the same but when asked went silent.

I second Dr. Maserti's comment. The more I read about the USADA's practices and procedures, the more I am convinced that they are fair and consistent with due process.

Read any Arbitration finding and you will the same.

TRENDING THREADS