• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

O Gran Camiño 2022 (February 24-27)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not sure anybody could follow him on a wall like this, maybe only Pog and Rog. Rusty Woods is a heir of Joaqium "Purito" Rodriguez.
I don't get Purito vibes from Woods tbh. At least not yet. Purito was much more explosive on muritos. Nobody could follow his accelerations, only prime Valverde and prime Dani Moreno could at times. Purito was also a better pure climber, a top 5 climber in the world in his days. We'll see. Maybe Woods makes another step forward this year, but for last season I think I'd easily find 10, maybe 15 better climbers than him.

I don't get Purito vibes from Woods tbh. At least not yet. Purito was much more explosive on muritos. Nobody could follow his accelerations, only prime Valverde and prime Dani Moreno could at times. Purito was also a better pure climber, a top 5 climber in the world in his days. We'll see. Maybe Woods makes another step forward this year, but for last season I think I'd easily find 10, maybe 15 better climbers than him.
Yeah, there are 10-15 climbers better than him certainly, but on a wall like this, I'm not sure anybody could drop him. Remember Innsbruck, that was a wall similar to Ezaro, he was the strongest also, forcing the pace all the time, but just couldn't drop Valverde. Mur de Huy is too short for him, his ideal distance is 2-4 km, like Purito's (that's where I found similarity), although Purito was indeed more explosive, and generally much better climber.

Yeah Contador basically did almost 0 muritos at the height of his powers, but 7 minutes is long enough for him.
There are a fair few across the editions of País Vasco he did in that era.

Lazkaomendi (2009 stage 1):
lazkaomendi.png

Aia (2008 stage 5, 2010 stage 5, 2016 stage 4):
encadenado-aia.png

Olaberria (2013 stage 5):
olaberria.png

Gaintza (2014 stage 1 - he won this one):
gaintza21.gif

Garrastatxu (2016 stage 2):
garrastatxu.gif

Aight, Roglic and Contador are good shoutouts. I guess the problem is, if its too short and 'easy', Valverde probably has his number (Mur de Huy), while a bit too long, Roglic and Contador might win. The perfect effort is probably around 5 minutes, ultra steep, then I doubt theres anyone better.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Peak Igor Antón could have been a contender, he liked it at any distance the steeper it got. He mistimed the Mur de Huy in 2010 but was as strong as Purito and Evans (similar issue to Evans in 2008 when he was probably the strongest but got the timing wrong and hit the wall before the line), won in Valdepeñas de Jaén in the Vuelta, won the Romandie stage over the brutal Ovronnaz climb, the Subida a Urkiola, on Monte Zoncolan, on Flumserberg in 2008, and even in his late career doldrums his best moments were on double digit gradients - 8th in Flèche Wallonne 2013, to Hazallanas in the 2013 Vuelta, winning the Vuelta a Asturias in 2015 by winning the stage over 2x Cobertoria, 3rd to Lubián in 2015 in Castilla y León, 7th to Mirador de Ézaro (ahead of self-same Contador) in 2016, and top 5 of both Vuelta a Burgos MTFs in 2018.

His problem would be that he would probably fall off and break every bone in his body before he got to the base of the climb, and even if he was fit to continue his team would have 0 rouleurs to help him back to the bunch.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS