• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Off season. We need some Giro 2011 discussion.

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2011 Giro d Giro d'Italia

• Other ( Surprise winner)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah but santaromita is vulnerable in flat so I think he'd be better as a pure climber like tschopp is. thing is in italy there are almost only classics so there's little else to show. bit like pozzovivo who has basically won every mountainsatge in italy last year but there were only 4 I think. Santaromita won settimana lombarda right?? that is some good climbing but like I said as long as the race isn't too long.
No, Scarponi won Settimana Lombarda.

Santaromita won Settimana Coppi e Bartali. The main reason for the win was his two-man break with Niemiec on stage 3, where he gave the Pole the win as Liquigas' TTT was so much stronger than Miche that he was easily clear.

There was a mountain prologue in Lombarda, two climbing stages (neither with MTFs) in Coppi e Bartali, two Trentino mountain stages (to San Martino di Castrozza and to Pampeago), two Brixia mountain stages (to Poffe and Passo Maniva), the Giro dell'Apennino, and a Monte Ortobene finish in Sardegna.

Out of interest, does anyone know the number of catagorized climbs there are in this year's Giro?
Steephill has a table comparing the various years, but 2011 gets a ????
They haven't officially announced the number, but the GPMs do appear on each profile.
Come to think of it, doesn't the Giro not use HC, but just 1-3?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
IlCobraFan said:
Is Carlos Betancourt going to ride the Giro? He is not on the Giro del Trentino startlist...

he should be riding trentino. if all is ok he will be doing giro but the team will wait for trentino to see how he does. he's in colombia now, training and racing.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he should be riding trentino. if all is ok he will be doing giro but the team will wait for trentino to see how he does. he's in colombia now, training and racing.

ACQUA & SAPONE - Giro del Trentino 2011

131. CODOL Massimo
132. GARZELLI Stefano
133. MASCIARELLI Andrea
134. MIHOLJEVIC Vladimir
135. NAPOLITANO Danilo
136. PRONI Alessandro
137. SARMIENTO TUNAR Cayetano José
138. TABORRE Fabio

Hmm, I really hope we will see him in the Giro anyway.

Mellow Velo said:
Out of interest, does anyone know the number of catagorized climbs there are in this year's Giro?
Steephill has a table comparing the various years, but 2011 gets a ????
They haven't officially announced the number, but the GPMs do appear on each profile.
Come to think of it, doesn't the Giro not use HC, but just 1-3?

Giro offers:

cat.3 (3, 2 and 1)
cat.2 (5, 3 and 1)
cat.1 (10, 6, 4, 2 and 1)
MTFs (any category)(15, 10, 6, 4 and 2)
Cima Coppi (20, 15, 10, 6, 4 and 2).

The Vuelta has the same.

Libertine Seguros said:
Giro offers:

cat.3 (3, 2 and 1)
cat.2 (5, 3 and 1)
cat.1 (10, 6, 4, 2 and 1)
MTFs (any category)(15, 10, 6, 4 and 2)
Cima Coppi (20, 15, 10, 6, 4 and 2).

The Vuelta has the same.
Thanks for that. Very useful for when the time comes.
I'm guessing there are about 25 cat 2s, 1s and MTFs.
Slightly more than recent editions.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Does anyone know the giro line up for leopard.

It is not yet released, but here is what I know so far, and what I guess:

For certain: Daniele Bennati
Most likely: Davide Vigano
Likely: Linus Gerdemann, Oliver Zaugg
Other possible candidates: Fabian Wegmann, Tom Stamsnijder, Thomas Rohregger

Cerainly not: Joost Posthuma, Anders Lund, Brice Feillu, Wouter Weylandt (to name the most well-known), who will be riding 4 Jours de Dunkerque