• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 126 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Or the big 3 in tennis. When Federer, Djokovic or Nadal were on their game and healthy they were clearly superior, and their dominance has lasted more than a decade, too. Even more remarkable given how many tennis players there are.
But the difference is that in tennis every contest is 1vs1 which makes absolute dominance much easier to achieve than a mass field sport like cycling.

As good as Wout and Mathieu are on the road I can’t recall any race day, whether a 1 day classic or a stage, in which the pair ripped clear of the field by a huge margin to contest a 2up finish whereas this scenario plays out 95% of the time both enter the same cyclocross race.

But the difference is that in tennis every contest is 1vs1 which makes absolute dominance much easier to achieve than a mass field sport like cycling.

As good as Wout and Mathieu are on the road I can’t recall any race day, whether a 1 day classic or a stage, in which the pair ripped clear of the field by a huge margin to contest a 2up finish whereas this scenario plays out 95% of the time both enter the same cyclocross race.

De Ronde 2020?

But I think that's their only two-man sprint on the road.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's because drafting plays a bigger role in road races...guys can just draft wheels and spend less watts for the same speed.

Maybe, but cyclocross has. a very small number of elite riders and team tactics barely enter into it, and it seems like the sport has shrunk inward to Belgium/Netherlands in recent years rather than expand, despite the existence of two glamorous, exciting riders. Now that I find a bit odd...

On the road you have fields that are 4-5 times as large, with 18-20 teams. I was referring specifically to CX.

Anyway, if you think about it, the phenomenon of absolutely dominant athletes in a single sport is quite interesting. On the men's side, at least, even the third best guy, Pidcock, is still only halfway between the field and those two, assuming all motivated and healthy etc.

I wonder how much longer Wout will continue -- he seemed less that wildly enthusiastic about CX this year despite it being his best season in a while...

Wout knows very well that there's no point in showing up in a race together with in-form MvdP, being even slightly underprepared. That could be a second blow for him after losing CX worlds, which would give a significant psychological advantage to Mathieu ahead of the classics. Considering this, a wise decision from him and Jumbo but also a huge dissappointment for all of us who's been waiting for a big showdown on Saturday.

Reactions: ij74
I get why they choose to first properly finish the training, but it's pretty disappointing for the race itself. It won't be easy, but if MVDP is in proper shape I can't see anyone match him. A bit like Pogacar last year.
Alaphilippe won this race and showed, that he is back in form, so I wouldn´t anticipate a one-man show now. And do we know for sure that van der Poel is at 100%?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pidcock says "hi!'.
He wasn't that impressive in De Omloop to match the performance of Mathieu/Alaphilippe in 2021.

Alaphilippe won this race and showed, that he is back in form, so I wouldn´t anticipate a one-man show now. And do we know for sure that van der Poel is at 100%?
Why was Alaphilippe dropped yesterday? Due to the effort he put in on Saturday? Because an Alaphilippe in form would definitely be able to follow MVDP.

Reactions: stonerider