• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As I've stated (too) many times, I much prefer a racer who races hard even if that means a few victories lost for doing work. So I also I prefer Mathieu's style of racing. Although, the history books could reflect better for Wout...only time will tell.

For what its worth, I don't refer to seasons past too often nor do I have a great memory so history isn't that relevant to my fandom! :)
Mathieu in fact does less actual work throughout the race.

Reactions: Luthor
It's true though, WvA worked his ass off more than MVDP in all their groups they were part of. But I don't see it as a plus for WvA, more like he spent too much time at the front instead of being more calculated.

I read logic's post as a criticism of Van der Poel but now realise that it was probably as you say here. Because it would be too daft to criticise Van der Poel for not taking his share of the work.

It's very obvious that Wout van Aert/Mathieu van der Poel is a better rider than Mathieu van der Poel/Wout van Aert cause I like him more.
Everybody's entitled to his/her opinion, but when stating that "Mathieu makes the race harder" i think it's only fair to point out what is obviously not so obvious to some, that Wout makes the race hard as well, but in another way. It should also be noted that Mathieu gets a lot better support in the races he picks out, than Wout. Today and during GW being exceptions... which incidentally, he both won. I've stated many times in the past that they are vastly different riders, even if they come from the same background and seem to excel in similar races. Wout has put time and effort into becoming a worldclass TT'er and has honed his climbing skills. Mathieu has started doing MTB and further honed the skills he already mastered as a puncheur. Pidcock said only wednesday, that he believed Wout dug too deep during the race and that it cost him in the end, that his (Pidcock's) power metered surged every time van Aert started pulling. They have different strengths and a different style, but i don't agree with the claim that Wout is a follower and doesn't make the race hard.

Everybody's entitled to his/her opinion, but when stating that "Mathieu makes the race harder" i think it's only fair to point out what is obviously not so obvious to some, that Wout makes the race hard as well, but in another way. It should also be noted that Mathieu gets a lot better support in the races he picks out, than Wout. Today and during GW being exceptions... which incidentally, he both won. I've stated many times in the past that they are vastly different riders, even if they come from the same background and seem to excel in similar races. Wout has put time and effort into becoming a worldclass TT'er and has honed his climbing skills. Mathieu has started doing MTB and further honed the skills he already mastered as a puncheur. Pidcock said only wednesday, that he believed Wout dug too deep during the race and that it cost him in the end, that his (Pidcock's) power metered surged every time van Aert started pulling. They have different strengths and a different style, but i don't agree with the claim that Wout is a follower and doesn't make the race hard.

I take it the reason for the latter was not that Pidcock's computer had accidentally connected to Wout's power meter :p

Everybody's entitled to his/her opinion, but when stating that "Mathieu makes the race harder" i think it's only fair to point out what is obviously not so obvious to some, that Wout makes the race hard as well, but in another way. It should also be noted that Mathieu gets a lot better support in the races he picks out, than Wout. Today and during GW being exceptions... which incidentally, he both won. I've stated many times in the past that they are vastly different riders, even if they come from the same background and seem to excel in similar races. Wout has put time and effort into becoming a worldclass TT'er and has honed his climbing skills. Mathieu has started doing MTB and further honed the skills he already mastered as a puncheur. Pidcock said only wednesday, that he believed Wout dug too deep during the race and that it cost him in the end, that his (Pidcock's) power metered surged every time van Aert started pulling.
I'm just satirizing the back and forth arguments that we'll likely see for years to come. Seems a bit like the GOAT wars in tennis.

Currently I think Van Aert is the better road racer, especially because of the TT and high mountain pedigree, which is a level of versatility I've frankly not seen since cycling dinosaurs rode the earth.

I'm just satirizing the back and forth arguments that we'll likely see for years to come. Seems a bit like the GOAT wars in tennis.

Currently I think Van Aert is the better road racer, especially because of the TT and high mountain pedigree, which is a level of versatility I've frankly not seen since cycling dinosaurs rode the earth.
I understand you were poking fun at the discussion as a whole, i wasn't criticizing your post, to be clear. I simply took it as a starting point to explain my earlier post. I think Wout is the more allround road cyclist, but not necessarily better.

I take it the reason for the latter was not that Pidcock's computer had accidentally connected to Wout's power meter :p
Is this a reference to his worldrecord park run two months ago?

Van der Poel has more extreme skills as a classics rider than Van Aert. A sprint that is probably a little better (but not much) and more punch in his hilly attacks. That could potentially give him more wins in certain type of races. Especially Strade, MSR and RVV. Perhaps also AGR. Van Aert is a better time trialist and has bigger engine. And is better in longer hills. Van Aert is probably more suited to win PR and Il Lombardia than Van der Poel. And of course one-week races.

If both riders choose to prioritize road cycling and reduce their prioirty in cyclocross and MTB, and Van Aert doesn't go all in for GC in Grand Tours, I think perhaps Van der Poel will end up as the most winning classics rider, but Van Aert will win a bigger selection of one-day races and of course also some one-week races.

I'm not saying that because Wout is a monster. I'm pretty sure that no one else in the platoon is excited when they see those guys hit the front, even the guys who have gotten the better of them this year probably clinch a little when they go.

I really don't like all these comparisons (who is the best rider? who is the best rider this spring?).

What I do know is WvA is a watt monster. He has by far the biggest engine of all race favourites. The races he didn't win and people immediately said he was 'tired' were the races where his adversaries forced him to do an awful lot of work, and even in those races, he either podiumed or was always top 5 / top 10.

I fear the only reason he still likes his team, is because he just isn't used to better support, and he has the capabilities to finish off a race without a team. He just doesn't seem to realize that almost every single race he entered this season, he could have won with a better team (except those he already won, ofcourse :D )

I fear the only reason he still likes his team, is because he just isn't used to better support, and he has the capabilities to finish off a race without a team. He just doesn't seem to realize that almost every single race he entered this season, he could have won with a better team (except those he already won, ofcourse :D )

That, and the paycheck, of course.

Is he definitely done now for the classics or is he going to be added in for FW or LBL now it’s clear he still has the gas in the tank to contend.

He's done. No FW or LBL for him.

TRENDING THREADS