• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official "another interesting piece I found on Floyd Landis" Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

86TDFWinner said:
Can we maybe assume or toss out the possibility that maybe Wonderboy might've had something to do with Floyd being busted? Maybe a punishment or a way to screw him over?
That's the problem with being seen a villain, innit? It always will leave the masses pondering what great evil he might have committed had he not been stopped, or what great evils he did perpetrate but that were never found out.

Prosecution of criminal offenses often is said to be contingent on the presence of two factors: motive and opportunity. Was/Is Pharmastrong vindictive enough to pursue such a course? And did he have the power to pull it off?

I don't think there's anyone apart his hirelings, the sycophants still wearing those yellow rubber bands, and his mum who would argue he is not vindictive to a fault (and I'm not so sure about his mum). But the question of power is much more complex.

Did Pharmstrong himself have that sort of pull with UCI/WADA/ASO? Over the period of several years, someone (probably several someones) in a position of power obviously aided him by covering up his multiple PEDs positives. With their scruples obviously thus compromised, and in light of the fact that their earlier acts never were found out (not to mention Pharmstrong's "generosity"), could they then deny his request to fiddle with the results of others? And to cast the anoraki net even wider, considering the level of fanaticism Pharmstrong inspired in the many, one could speculate whether his minions might have acted independently, on what they saw as their master's (unspoken) best interests. IOW, What Would Lance Do? Or more to the point, what would Lance have me to do, if he were here, and if we could speak in secret. It's not like it wasn't common knowledge who his nemeses were.

Would he? Could he? Did he? Almost a question that answers itself. I think it is far more likely that Pharmstrong somehow influenced (directly or otherwise) what happened to FLandis (and Contador) than it is that Lemond fired the third shot from the grassy knoll.

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
doubt Armstrong was behind either. Although its well known he didn't like Contador, LA refused a deal to keep 5 of his TDF victories and serve a shortened suspension by ratting out other dopers.

Plus, there wouldn't have been any benefit to Armstrong outting Landis. Initially, Landis refused to testify after he was busted. He didn't admit doping until 2010 when his cycling career was clearly coming to a disappointing end. Near as I can tell, Landis wanted to be like Lance but couldn't. He didn't dope as well and couldn't deny his way out of it after he got busted. Armstrong's comeback just fueled the fire. That's when Landis got bitter and turned on LA. If Armstrong hadn't made the comeback, Landis might have stayed in the shadows. Although he's entertaining, Landis is far from a choirboy. He's now just a bitter opportunist trying to get whistleblower money

As for UCI, they buried everything until the risk outweighed the reward. Typical organizational behavior that will happen again and again (and probably is). USADA didn't start operating until late October 2000. Armstrong was Tygart's golden goose that justified USADA's existence and funding

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

MacBAir said:
86TDFWinner said:
kwikki said:
This Charming Man said:
kwikki said:
I doubt it. He admitted to heavy doping. Just not testosterone.

Never phased Bjarne Riis, nor Marco Pantani.

Different era, different situation. Floyd, like Armstrong, is condemned to eternal damnation.

Yet, Contadoper, Froome, Evans, Nibali are still worshipped here for reasons unknown.
Yup, and Lemond too.

Missed a few eras with this kneejerk response.

Re:

justifieddoubter said:
doubt Armstrong was behind either. Although its well known he didn't like Contador, LA refused a deal to keep 5 of his TDF victories and serve a shortened suspension by ratting out other dopers.

Plus, there wouldn't have been any benefit to Armstrong outting Landis. Initially, Landis refused to testify after he was busted. He didn't admit doping until 2010 when his cycling career was clearly coming to a disappointing end. Near as I can tell, Landis wanted to be like Lance but couldn't. He didn't dope as well and couldn't deny his way out of it after he got busted. Armstrong's comeback just fueled the fire. That's when Landis got bitter and turned on LA. If Armstrong hadn't made the comeback, Landis might have stayed in the shadows. Although he's entertaining, Landis is far from a choirboy. He's now just a bitter opportunist trying to get whistleblower money

As for UCI, they buried everything until the risk outweighed the reward. Typical organizational behavior that will happen again and again (and probably is). USADA didn't start operating until late October 2000. Armstrong was Tygart's golden goose that justified USADA's existence and funding
this is so laughably false - opportunist? so he came clean despite being advised not to legally as he could end up in prison...and despite the fact he knew and knows that this whistleblower money will probably never come his way. You believe what you read about 30million. Firstly there is a huge if as to whether that judgement will ever be made, Secondly Floyd knows there is a large chance, even if a judgement is passed, he wont get a penny, due to his conviction over the fund....
you said above he wanted to be like lance? well considering himself and dave Zabriskie told steve Johnson what was going on, long before Floyd was caught, that doesn't make sense.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

This Charming Man said:
86TDFWinner said:
This Charming Man said:
kwikki said:

Yet, Contadoper, Froome, Evans, Nibali are still worshipped here for reasons unknown.
Yup, and Lemond too.

Only difference being LeMond is clean.....unless you know something we all don't? Please share your evidence that he did?
Absurd to call out Greg as a PED user. The other ones, stated, yes, Greg, different category, as a person, and an athlete, 100% authentic.
not this crap again.

Could either of you guys tell me what the evidence is that Froome, Evans and/or Nibali doped? Or Wiggins, or Indurain?

*crickets*

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

sniper said:
This Charming Man said:
86TDFWinner said:
This Charming Man said:
kwikki said:

Yup, and Lemond too.

Only difference being LeMond is clean.....unless you know something we all don't? Please share your evidence that he did?
Absurd to call out Greg as a PED user. The other ones, stated, yes, Greg, different category, as a person, and an athlete, 100% authentic.
not this crap again.

Could either of you guys tell me what the evidence is that Froome, Evans and/or Nibali doped? Or Wiggins, or Indurain?

*crickets*

All you need to know about LeMond's drug use is to ask yourself why a guy spends so much time attacking riders for doping long after he retired while refusing to say a word about those from his era who doped to take wins from him. Keep in mind this is a man who has spent thirty years--thirty freaking years!--complaining about how he was robbed of the 1985 Tour because his team lied to him about his position on the road relative to Hinault.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

StyrbjornSterki said:
This Charming Man said:
Floyd is insistent that his positive for testosterone is false. Once he pays back the FFF, he will probably sue USADA, ASO, WADA, for destroying his career, and taking his 06 TdF tittle. Fair is fair. False positive..
Was. Was insistent. I haven't heard or read of him speaking to it since he confessed.

I have discussed this with Floyd many times. He still insists that he was not using testosterone during that Tour. There has been a lot of things he has told me to keep to myself. I feel pretty confident that he would feel comfortable enough to say, "Of course I was using testosterone! Don't tell anybody."

Floyd is as confused as anyone about why he tested positive. His beliefs about what might have happened seem to vary from day to day. I remember a while back Floyd got all excited about the FBI admitting that its hair analysis was junk science. Innocent people went to prison because of it. Some were probably executed. Floyd was pretty adamant that the same thing would eventually happen with the CIR test for testosterone.

From pulling in a lot of info from discussions about various aspects of his case, I have theory about what happened but I don't think I will take the time to write it for this place. Really! What's the point about putting any effort here?

DamianoMachiavelli said:
I have discussed this with Floyd many times. He still insists that he was not using testosterone during that Tour. There has been a lot of things he has told me to keep to myself. I feel pretty confident that he would feel comfortable enough to say, "Of course I was using testosterone! Don't tell anybody."

But what all DID he use??? He is very quick to say he didnt use test, I have yet to see a full accounting of what PEDs he was on.

Re: Official "another interesting piece I found on Floyd Lan

Here is an interesting anecdote relating to Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton.

It was well established already in 2004 when Tyler Hamilton was busted for blood doping, that Hamilton was called to have a meeting in the UCI headquarters on his blood values shortly after he performed well in the 2004 Dauphiné Liberé, that is on June 2004.

When confessing his PED use in 2012, Hamilton made a twist to the story by revealing that Floyd Landis had told him that it was actually Lance Armstrong who had behind the mystery call from UCI, as Hamilton tells that Floyd told the following during the 2004 Tour, just a few weeks after the mystery meeting with the UCI:
You need to know something.... Lande called the UCI on you. He called Hein, after Ventoux. Said you guys and Mayo were on some new ***, told Hein to get you. He knew they'd called you in. He's been telking *** nonstop. And I think it's right that you know."
The Secret Race, p. 265

Almost every author seems to have taken the juicy story with face value even when Hein Verbruggen denied the connection and even in the CIRC-report there is no confirmation to the story, quite to the contrary. The story cames in a strange light because Floyd Landis related to the episode in an interview some half years ago:

But the more outrageous comment comes from Armstrong, who is now the self-appointed hypocrisy police. The formerly most powerful person in cycling, who allegedly used his connections to have the UCI target Tyler Hamilton and others, while doping himself, has become a satirical version of himself. For him to use the word hypocrisy in any context other than when facing a mirror is simply laughable.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-lance-armstrong-has-become-the-self-appointed-hypocrisy-police/

"Allegedly"? Maybe I put too much emphasis on just one word, but the choise of word "allegedly" in this context is very curious as Landis is the only source on the alleged ratting out of Tyler Hamilton. Floyd is the only one who knows and he seems to be very ambivalent, if not washing his hands out of the whole episode.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Aragon said:

It was well established already in 2004 when Tyler Hamilton was busted for blood doping, that Hamilton was called to have a meeting in the UCI headquarters on his blood values shortly after he performed well in the 2004 Dauphiné Liberé, that is on June 2004.

When confessing his PED use in 2012, Hamilton made a twist to the story by revealing that Floyd Landis had told him that it was actually Lance Armstrong who had behind the mystery call from UCI, as Hamilton tells that Floyd told the following during the 2004 Tour, just a few weeks after the mystery meeting with the UCI:
You need to know something.... Lande called the UCI on you. He called Hein, after Ventoux. Said you guys and Mayo were on some new ****, told Hein to get you. He knew they'd called you in. He's been telking **** nonstop. And I think it's right that you know."
The Secret Race, p. 265

Almost every author seems to have taken the juicy story with face value even when Hein Verbruggen denied the connection and even in the CIRC-report there is no confirmation to the story, quite to the contrary. The story cames in a strange light because Floyd Landis related to the episode in an interview some half years ago:

But the more outrageous comment comes from Armstrong, who is now the self-appointed hypocrisy police. The formerly most powerful person in cycling, who allegedly used his connections to have the UCI target Tyler Hamilton and others, while doping himself, has become a satirical version of himself. For him to use the word hypocrisy in any context other than when facing a mirror is simply laughable.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-lance-armstrong-has-become-the-self-appointed-hypocrisy-police/

"Allegedly"? Maybe I put too much emphasis on just one word, but the choise of word "allegedly" in this context is very curious as Landis is the only source on the alleged ratting out of Tyler Hamilton. Floyd is the only one who knows and he seems to be very ambivalent, if not washing his hands out of the whole episode.

I'd take whatever Verbruggen said with a piece of piss.

Landis got some smarts and uses the word 'allegedly' as without it he is in trouble with no proof. And a conversation bewtween 2 people where 1 denies what he said would not stand up in court if it got there. Allegedly is used all the time for this reason. Dont make it untrue. But there a lot of riders who left USPS, who were seen as possible threats to Armstrong tested positive. Why or how has yet to be properly explained. We know Armstrong was vicious, we have proof of that, so based on that, his connections with UCI, it is probable that he got people popped, 'allegedly'.

Benotti69 said:

Landis got some smarts and uses the word 'allegedly' as without it he is in trouble with no proof. And a conversation bewtween 2 people where 1 denies what he said would not stand up in court if it got there. Allegedly is used all the time for this reason. Dont make it untrue. But there a lot of riders who left USPS, who were seen as possible threats to Armstrong tested positive. Why or how has yet to be properly explained. We know Armstrong was vicious, we have proof of that, so based on that, his connections with UCI, it is probable that he got people popped, 'allegedly'.
As I mentioned in my original post, I agree that one shouldn't draw too much conclusions about one choice of word. On the other hand, the affidavit of Landis is full of instances about one-to-one dialogues with different people and he doesn't seem at all reluctant to provide these instances to the USADA even when the evidence is quite damning on various people:
"Ferrari and I discussed how the blood transfusion process would work..."
"Armstrong and I had lengthy discussion about the [blood] extraction... Armstrong also explained to me the evolution of EPO testing..."
"Armstrong further stated that the subsequently tested positive for EPO while winning the Tour de Suisse..."
"In the [2002] meeting, Mr. [Bill] Stapleton specifically referenced the fact that he was aware of the extent to which I had been doping..."
Armstrong's connections to the UCI are another topic where the matter is far from settled. The CIRC-staff apparently didn't find anything unusual about the Hamilton's 2004 mystery call incident:
UCI also provided intelligence obtained through the analyses of the samples to riders. Instead of using this information to perform target testing on suspicious athletes, the athlete would be warned, and sometimes in case of important riderseven invited to the UCI headquarters to discuss the abnormal values. This practice was ongoing for a very long time.
CIRC-report, pp. 124-125

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Aragon said:
Benotti69 said:

As I mentioned in my original post, I agree that one shouldn't draw too much conclusions about one choice of word. On the other hand, the affidavit of Landis is full of instances about one-to-one dialogues with different people and he doesn't seem at all reluctant to provide these instances to the USADA even when the evidence is quite damning on various people:
"Armstrong and I had lengthy discussion about the [blood] extraction... Armstrong also explained to me the evolution of EPO testing..."
"Armstrong further stated that the subsequently tested positive for EPO while winning the Tour de Suisse..."
"In the [2002] meeting, Mr. [Bill] Stapleton specifically referenced the fact that he was aware of the extent to which I had been doping..."
Armstrong's connections to the UCI are another topic where the matter is far from settled. The CIRC-staff apparently didn't find anything unusual about the Hamilton's 2004 mystery call incident:
UCI also provided intelligence obtained through the analyses of the samples to riders. Instead of using this information to perform target testing on suspicious athletes, the athlete would be warned, and sometimes in case of important riderseven invited to the UCI headquarters to discuss the abnormal values. This practice was ongoing for a very long time.
CIRC-report, pp. 124-125

CIRC report is incomplete, considering how few riders talked to them.

I think the important aspect of Hamilton's story is more about whether Armstrong had that 'influence' over another rider testing positive.

So while Hamilton/Landis told the story, it is more about Armstrong than Landis thread material.

Benotti69 said:
Aragon said:
Benotti69 said:

CIRC-report, pp. 124-125

I think the important aspect of Hamilton's story is more about whether Armstrong had that 'influence' over another rider testing positive.

So while Hamilton/Landis told the story, it is more about Armstrong than Landis thread material.
I'm more curious about the bolded, than the word 'allegedly'... like, who else was ratted on...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
i'm curious about both.
I think it's a good spot from aragon, although indeed it could merely be floyd's way of speaking in that cyclingnews piece. He's not under oath there like he is in the affidavit and i guess this being a cyclingnews piece it is more sensitive to libel issues (?), which could've prompted Floyd to add in the 'allegedly'. But still, curious, it can certainly be taken to suggest that Floyd isn't the primary source for that rumor after all.

More generally, and I'm not saying this is one such instance, but it seems pretty clear to me that people have made stuff up about Lance as they went along, and too many readers, imo, have eagerly and uncritically bought any negative story that came out about Lance in the aftermath of the Floyd emails.
Lemond's "Lance offered 300k to rat me out" story is a nice case in point. It has been presented as fact by many, whereas the only source of the story seems to be Lemond himself.

Disclaimer: whether Lance *deserves* that lies or halftruths are circulating about him is another question all together, one that doesn't really interest me personally.

@archibald: good spot, too. Would be nice to have both the 'allegedly' and the 'and others' clarified.

Benotti69 said:
Aragon said:
Benotti69 said:

CIRC-report, pp. 124-125

Ben I think you are asking too much. We know that the UCI were not into popping their stars. Calling him in and leaning on a guy like Tyler would be right up their street and that is not to talk it down what it does show is corruption of a totally unacceptable nature. One "favoured" rider can gossip about another and the governance of the sport does his dirty work. Now that is something that Cookson could hang out Verbruggen to dry with. At the moment we have the boot on entirely the other foot with Hein seeking and being granted compensation from Cookson via the pockets of the UCI. This is something Cookson needs to dig up and get into the open. A chance for retribution, particularly if the judge rules against Lance and a case goes ahead, this would be a great move to make simultaneously.

At the moment the only person we have claiming they were popped when not using the stuff is Floyd '06 and the explanation for that is wrongful execution of the lab test of the sample - repeated spinning until the threshold for content was breached. Ten years on and we have nobody coming forward and saying the result was entirely falsified because x, y or z told us to make it so - it is possible, but the former explanation is more likely.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

Aragon said:

You need to know something.... Lande called the UCI on you. He called Hein, after Ventoux. Said you guys and Mayo were on some new ****, told Hein to get you. He knew they'd called you in. He's been telking **** nonstop. And I think it's right that you know."
The Secret Race, p. 265

Some riders were using homologous blood doping. Notably members of a certain Basque team. Armstrong (and others) did not want to go down that route. It introduces all sorts of risks. That is the reason LA paid for the UCI's Sysmex machine. That is the truth, but go ahead and believe in the Sauron-like conspiracy nonsense promoted by RR and B!tichy.

Hamilton was caught in the cross fire. His blood values were way out of whack. He was given every opportunity by the UCI to dial back his program but he didn't listen. If he had been smarter, toned it down, and picked and chosen his races instead of being super jacked for everything from the Ardennes to the Dauphine to the Tour to the Olympics to the Vuelta then ya'll would now be talking about how Hamilton was protected by the UCI.

I've hesitated to say this, I've said it once or twice before in public and I got kind of crucified for it but at the end of the day, it's all fine and good to believe that, you know, these, that sports should be fair and that, first of all sports aren't fair, somebody's born inherently better than the other guy, that's the whole point of the game, right, so ... people are going to try find ways to either close that spread or beat the other guys or whatever, and there's, there's simply no way to stop it, and they need, they need to just allow it, they need to, if they're really concerned about health they can monitor it, but the fact of the matter is nobody, nobody's dying from this stuff in, in sports events and they can't stop it and right now it's, it's worse, it's doing more harm to kids, kids who are looking at, at trying to become an athlete ... than, than if you just were honest with them, said look, this, if that's what you aspire to be this is what you're going to face, instead they're just lying, we have the anti-doping associations, they're just a façade and they're a PR side of the Olympic committee and they want to sell the Olympics, that's a huge money machine, it's a huge ... corrupt machine, and it's a huge fraud, it's a lot like FIFA, it's, it's run by old, corrupt, white men, and they like the idea that they can make it look as though this is fair and this is clean and we have all these people competing and it's like everything is wonderful and everyone gets a hug at the end but that's all a lie, it's all about the billions of dollars in television revenue, and they know that they're not stopping it they know their tests don't work, they know, this is the saddest part for me, I watch the Tour, from time to time, and I know exactly what's going on, and it's exactly the same as when I was racing, and so, but what bothers me about those agencies is they won't, they just won't be honest, they won't face the truth, that taking me down and taking Lance Armstrong down did absolutely nothing, it was an utter failure.

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
The interviewer was horrible beyond belief. Except for departing on the occasional social justice tangent, FLandis wasn't that bad. He did make a couple points I found relevant. He admitted he had used HGH, which I don't recall hearing/reading him admitting before. And he also stated that peptides were the PED du jour in the peloton because they are infinitely manipulate-able to evade detection. I'd been wondering what new PEDs they were up to ever since Contador's positive, because whatever it was gave him the ability to attack like he had a rocket up his bum (and which didn't return after his suspension), it wasn't clenbuterol in parts per billion.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
I've hesitated to say this, I've said it once or twice before in public and I got kind of crucified for it but at the end of the day, it's all fine and good to believe that, you know, these, that sports should be fair and that, first of all sports aren't fair, somebody's born inherently better than the other guy, that's the whole point of the game, right, so ... people are going to try find ways to either close that spread or beat the other guys or whatever, and there's, there's simply no way to stop it, and they need, they need to just allow it, they need to, if they're really concerned about health they can monitor it, but the fact of the matter is nobody, nobody's dying from this stuff in, in sports events and they can't stop it and right now it's, it's worse, it's doing more harm to kids, kids who are looking at, at trying to become an athlete ... than, than if you just were honest with them, said look, this, if that's what you aspire to be this is what you're going to face, instead they're just lying, we have the anti-doping associations, they're just a façade and they're a PR side of the Olympic committee and they want to sell the Olympics, that's a huge money machine, it's a huge ... corrupt machine, and it's a huge fraud, it's a lot like FIFA, it's, it's run by old, corrupt, white men, and they like the idea that they can make it look as though this is fair and this is clean and we have all these people competing and it's like everything is wonderful and everyone gets a hug at the end but that's all a lie, it's all about the billions of dollars in television revenue, and they know that they're not stopping it they know their tests don't work, they know, this is the saddest part for me, I watch the Tour, from time to time, and I know exactly what's going on, and it's exactly the same as when I was racing, and so, but what bothers me about those agencies is they won't, they just won't be honest, they won't face the truth, that taking me down and taking Lance Armstrong down did absolutely nothing, it was an utter failure.

NFL is killing plenty, not on the field but lots die prematurely.

Some footballers(soccer) died on the field and one was saved due to a specialist heart doctor being at the match and getting involved.

I would guess others have died from doping or have had their lives changed due to PED use.

Did Wouter Weylandts die because something like Tramadol affected his descending ability and he misjudged a corner?

The idea that they would monitor doping well or even fairly is laughable. They cant prevent it, how would they monitor it?

TRENDING THREADS