Official "be nice" Lance Armstrong thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
406
0
0
Carboncrank said:
Astana got over 1/3 or all the prize money in the race.

It goes into a pot for riders and staff.

See why he wanted the sweep?

I don't know how they split it up. Anybody know what's "normal"?

The prize money would seem more important for staff and domestiques than the top riders who make much more in salary? Wonder what Levi gets?
Someone else actually understands...
 
Jul 26, 2009
1,594
0
0
53 x 11 said:
Hey, this threads not sticky anymore! Now it can die for the second time. Dam it, this post will just bump it up again.

Now I have to go and post In all the other threads to cover it up. :D
Ok, so now I locked one and un-stickied another....?
 
Apr 11, 2009
2,250
0
0
Armstrong Celebration in Doubt as Debate Heats Up in Aspen

Perhaps they're inviting Alberto? :D

Is this karma?

(No flames, please; humour is always better for all concerned)

New York Times

July 31, 2009
Armstrong Celebration in Doubt as Debate Heats Up in Aspen
By NATE PETERSON

ASPEN, Colo. — Dumpster-diving black bears have been back in the local headlines this week, but they have had some notable competition on the front pages and in the opinion sections of the two local daily newspapers.

The other big news? The debate among residents and elected officials about whether the city should host a day commemorating Lance Armstrong, who bought a $9 million second home here last year.

At a City Council meeting Monday night, Mayor Mick Ireland, an avid cyclist, proposed drafting a proclamation and hosting an official celebration for Armstrong, the seven-time Tour de France champion, who finished third this year after a three-and-a-half-year retirement.

“I thought it was a natural thing to do,” said Ireland, who had no details for a celebration. “It seems perfectly appropriate to acknowledge someone who is a part-time resident.”

But two of the other four council members did not see it that way.

One, Steve Skadron, said that honoring someone who “has lived here all of five minutes” was a cheap way of capitalizing on Armstrong’s celebrity and that the city should respect his privacy. Another councilman, Dwayne Romero, said Aspen should focus on supporting local athletes, including those riding in a coming charity ride to raise money for breast cancer research.

The next day, after a front-page article in The Aspen Times, readers offered their own sentiments with a stream of comments on the paper’s Web site and in letters that appeared in print.

Armstrong, whose primary home is in Austin, Tex., and who owns a ranch elsewhere in Texas, did not weigh in himself; he is vacationing in the Bahamas.

His only contact with the news media, via his Twitter account, dealt with another controversy: a war of words with the Tour winner, Alberto Contador of Spain, his chief rival and teammate this year.

After Contador revealed his dislike and lack of admiration for Armstrong in a news conference Monday and Armstrong fired back on Twitter, more reports detailing a testy relationship between them have emerged.

El País, a Spanish newspaper, reported that on the Mont Ventoux stage of the Tour, Ivan Gutierrez, another Spanish rider, said that he offered Contador his water bottle but that Armstrong picked it off and drank it himself, then turned back to say something to Contador. El País also reported that Armstrong took the last Astana team car after one Tour stage and left Contador stranded, forcing him to get a ride with his brother.

In Aspen, though, the Contador-Armstrong drama took a back seat to the back-and-forth about the proposed Armstrong celebration — especially after an article in The Aspen Times on Wednesday about the local Chamber Resort Association announcing support of it.

One comment posted on the paper’s Web site said in part about Armstrong, “His only notable achievement in our community is moving here.”

Another said, “Mayor Mick is acting like a 12-year-old who is star struck.”

But a rebuttal comment said, “Lance should be honored, and our community and children can learn from his story — which goes way beyond winning bike races.”

For some of Armstrong’s friends in Aspen, the controversy was humorous, if nothing else.

“This town specializes in silliness,” said Charlie Tarver, a longtime resident and a friend of Armstrong.

Tarver, who has numerous jerseys signed by Armstrong displayed in his bike shop, the Hub of Aspen, said he thought Armstrong would be open to a local celebration if it was done the right way.

“For him, the reason he returned to cycling wasn’t for him and it wasn’t for the fame,” Tarver said. “It was for Livestrong and spreading his message of fighting cancer. I’m sure it would be well received if it was about that.”

Max Taam, a training partner who raced on Armstrong’s team in a local 12-hour mountain biking race last summer, agreed. He said Armstrong was accustomed to appearing at events all over the globe in support of his Livestrong foundation.

“I doubt he wants a parade,” Taam said.

Ireland said the proposed celebration was in limbo after another local friend of Armstrong relayed the message to the mayor that Armstrong would weigh in on a possible public event when he returned from vacation.

Armstrong previously agreed to appear at a speaking engagement at the Aspen Institute this summer, but no date has been set.


http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/sports/cycling/31aspen.html?ref=sports
 
Jul 29, 2009
85
0
0
pedaling squares said:
Ok, let's get this thread back on the cycling part of Lance's existence.

It's obvious that you don't like or respect him. That's cool, there's lots of reasons why one would not. But please elaborate on how Lance "weasled" his way onto the podium. By following wheels? By making the right breaks? By outperforming F. Schleck in the ITT? By keeping up on the Ventoux? Look, I can't stand the way Lance has dragged cycling into the same gutter as many other pro sports (the me-first, my way or the ditch attitude) but any reasonable person has to be impressed with this performance (cycling, not behaviour) after such a long period of inactivity. Otherwise, we're admitting that the TDF ain't that difficult.
Listen my good BC bud-dy boy, I don't like this guy because I have lost all respect for him, yes, that's cool, thanks for accepting that.
Asking F. Schleck to match LA in the ITT is a very tall order, GIVE ME A BREAK!! Frank is no time trialist....
LA snatched 40 seconds over Frank during the TTT, in the end, it was a 40 second difference that separated the 2....If you exclude the weasel manouvers throughout the race where LA gained time on Alberto & Frank, you will clearly see that this lying egomaniac should NOT have been on that podium period. He made it on the podium because LA believes that there is an " I" in the word team.
Alberto's backside should be kissed by LA for NOT orchestrating a move which would've deservedly left this greedy texan off the podium.

I'll actually take back the word weasel in describing LA's crawl up the podium, as it is offensive to all weasels living in the wild.
Instead, I'll replace "weasel" with slimey, ill-gotten, and evil.

Good luck in Van2010!!:)
 
Jul 29, 2009
85
0
0
When the shoe fits...

Thoughtforfood said:
No, just until Dr Ferrari came along.

I have never said he wasn't talented before cancer. Quite the contrary, I thought he was really talented as a rider. The seeds of my dislike were sown then, even though I was a fan right up until he chased down Simeoni. I still remember the awkwardness I felt as he rode in to win the stage after Casartelli's death. I could see even then that he was a person who presented emotions he didn't actually feel. Then after reading "It's All About Lance" it was clear that he was a ball busting narcissist. Then he chased down Simeoni and I just couldn't take anymore. He is a sick, sick puppy. A walking encyclopedia of psychological abnormalities. He will never see it though, his malignant self love is cemented at this point. I don't say this to be mean, but it will be interesting to see how his kids turn out.
Yes, very well said, but I'll go a bit further along and add festering putrid evil to the pile.
And what's this massive hate he has for Lemond?? Clearly Lemond scares him and knows something about LA's pharma-schedule.....
 
Jul 29, 2009
85
0
0
3RD place TDF, earned or STOLEN ???

Can't help but ask myself this question, did LA steal 3rd place in Le Tour? or was it all, above board hard work from a team player?
But more importantly, did this LA guy, who often speaks as the patron saint of cancer fighters all over the world, even DESERVE to be on that podium?
 
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
0
0
Mont Ventoux said:
Yes, very well said, but I'll go a bit further along and add festering putrid evil to the pile.
And what's this massive hate he has for Lemond?? Clearly Lemond scares him and knows something about LA's pharma-schedule.....
While I agree with much of your argument - there is no need for the 'flaming' tone. All the issues you have brought up have been heavily discussed.
Calling LA vile names does little to further your view - it only causes a backlash - and we have been down that road to many times, it gets nauseating.
 
Jul 29, 2009
85
0
0
Dr. Maserati said:
While I agree with much of your argument - there is no need for the 'flaming' tone. All the issues you have brought up have been heavily discussed.
Calling LA vile names does little to further your view - it only causes a backlash - and we have been down that road to many times, it gets nauseating.
I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by "flaming".
Who am I "flaming"?
 
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
0
0
Mont Ventoux said:
I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by "flaming".
Who am I "flaming"?
Haha.... when they wake up in the USA, believe you me you will find out!
Some of his supporters and detractors are quite passionate - have a look at how the thread on a 'simple' twitter from Eki turned out!
 
Jun 24, 2009
464
0
0
Parrot23 said:
Perhaps they're inviting Alberto? :D

Is this karma?

(No flames, please; humour is always better for all concerned)

New York Times

July 31, 2009
Armstrong Celebration in Doubt as Debate Heats Up in Aspen
By NATE PETERSON

ASPEN, Colo. — Dumpster-diving black bears have been back in the local headlines this week, but they have had some notable competition on the front pages and in the opinion sections of the two local daily newspapers.

The other big news? The debate among residents and elected officials about whether the city should host a day commemorating Lance Armstrong, who bought a $9 million second home here last year.

At a City Council meeting Monday night, Mayor Mick Ireland, an avid cyclist, proposed drafting a proclamation and hosting an official celebration for Armstrong, the seven-time Tour de France champion, who finished third this year after a three-and-a-half-year retirement.

“I thought it was a natural thing to do,” said Ireland, who had no details for a celebration. “It seems perfectly appropriate to acknowledge someone who is a part-time resident.”

But two of the other four council members did not see it that way.

One, Steve Skadron, said that honoring someone who “has lived here all of five minutes” was a cheap way of capitalizing on Armstrong’s celebrity and that the city should respect his privacy. Another councilman, Dwayne Romero, said Aspen should focus on supporting local athletes, including those riding in a coming charity ride to raise money for breast cancer research.

The next day, after a front-page article in The Aspen Times, readers offered their own sentiments with a stream of comments on the paper’s Web site and in letters that appeared in print.

Armstrong, whose primary home is in Austin, Tex., and who owns a ranch elsewhere in Texas, did not weigh in himself; he is vacationing in the Bahamas.

His only contact with the news media, via his Twitter account, dealt with another controversy: a war of words with the Tour winner, Alberto Contador of Spain, his chief rival and teammate this year.

After Contador revealed his dislike and lack of admiration for Armstrong in a news conference Monday and Armstrong fired back on Twitter, more reports detailing a testy relationship between them have emerged.

El País, a Spanish newspaper, reported that on the Mont Ventoux stage of the Tour, Ivan Gutierrez, another Spanish rider, said that he offered Contador his water bottle but that Armstrong picked it off and drank it himself, then turned back to say something to Contador. El País also reported that Armstrong took the last Astana team car after one Tour stage and left Contador stranded, forcing him to get a ride with his brother.

In Aspen, though, the Contador-Armstrong drama took a back seat to the back-and-forth about the proposed Armstrong celebration — especially after an article in The Aspen Times on Wednesday about the local Chamber Resort Association announcing support of it.

One comment posted on the paper’s Web site said in part about Armstrong, “His only notable achievement in our community is moving here.”

Another said, “Mayor Mick is acting like a 12-year-old who is star struck.”

But a rebuttal comment said, “Lance should be honored, and our community and children can learn from his story — which goes way beyond winning bike races.”

For some of Armstrong’s friends in Aspen, the controversy was humorous, if nothing else.

“This town specializes in silliness,” said Charlie Tarver, a longtime resident and a friend of Armstrong.

Tarver, who has numerous jerseys signed by Armstrong displayed in his bike shop, the Hub of Aspen, said he thought Armstrong would be open to a local celebration if it was done the right way.

“For him, the reason he returned to cycling wasn’t for him and it wasn’t for the fame,” Tarver said. “It was for Livestrong and spreading his message of fighting cancer. I’m sure it would be well received if it was about that.”

Max Taam, a training partner who raced on Armstrong’s team in a local 12-hour mountain biking race last summer, agreed. He said Armstrong was accustomed to appearing at events all over the globe in support of his Livestrong foundation.

“I doubt he wants a parade,” Taam said.

Ireland said the proposed celebration was in limbo after another local friend of Armstrong relayed the message to the mayor that Armstrong would weigh in on a possible public event when he returned from vacation.

Armstrong previously agreed to appear at a speaking engagement at the Aspen Institute this summer, but no date has been set.


http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/sports/cycling/31aspen.html?ref=sports
Based on that part of the article, I'd have to say, even though Dr. M has a point. I can't help thinking what a true Dirt Bag this former champion showed himself to be. He should be ashamed of himself, though we know this isn't possible, just as his fans have an impossible time seeing his actions for what they truly were.
 
Jul 29, 2009
85
0
0
Flame what? Flame who?

Dr. Maserati said:
Haha.... when they wake up in the USA, believe you me you will find out!
Some of his supporters and detractors are quite passionate - have a look at how the thread on a 'simple' twitter from Eki turned out!
Still confused...
What should I do, run and hide?
Cancel my Radio Shack Battery Club card?
Close my eyes?
Plug my ears?
Join LA fan club?

Supporter or Detractor....where do you think I stand?
 
Jul 25, 2009
263
0
0
So it was him!
I wonder where I left my 3rd place, was looking for it.

As someone said, if you did the race 10 times, it's possible the standings could have changed between place 3 to 7, as the riders were pretty even. But you only race once (and live twice Mr.Bond) and the road delivered its verdict.
He did it with some tactical flair, but that is also part of the race.

If everything goes to keikakku, LA will be there next year without the Astana's smoke and mirrors.
 
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
0
0
Mont Ventoux said:
Still confused...
What should I do, run and hide?
Cancel my Radio Shack Battery Club card?
Close my eyes?
Plug my ears?
Join LA fan club?

Supporter or Detractor....where do you think I stand?
None of the above;

I dont care where you stand or what issue you bring up - it isnt what you said it is how it comes across.
As I said check the 'Eki" thread to see how things can go very quickly.
 
Jul 29, 2009
85
0
0
Dr. Maserati said:
None of the above;

I dont care where you stand or what issue you bring up - it isnt what you said it is how it comes across.
As I said check the 'Eki" thread to see how things can go very quickly.
Yah, that Eki thread really took off....
In the end it's all about preception, we'll have to batten down the hatches!!
Thanks for the heads up, I'm new to this, and learning is key to surviving.
:)
 
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
0
0
Mont Ventoux said:
Yah, that Eki thread really took off....
In the end it's all about preception, we'll have to batten down the hatches!!
Thanks for the heads up, I'm new to this, and learning is key to surviving.
:)
Haha.. No problem - just remember, always wear a helmet.
Good post in the Ricco thread btw.
 
Jul 26, 2009
1,594
0
0
Dr. Maserati said:
Haha.... when they wake up in the USA, believe you me you will find out!
Some of his supporters and detractors are quite passionate - have a look at how the thread on a 'simple' twitter from Eki turned out!
I will grant you that his most ardent, and in my view 'sycophant-ish' admirers, live here, and this one just woke up, as you predicted, keeping my streak alive....

However, being here in the US, supporter or not, I think it gives us a better feel for how the US obsesses over fame, fortune, celebrity and iconism and how the subject of this thread has very successfully woven himself into the upper realms of our celebrity obsession. We got the lion's share of Lance-zombies here, but that makes it even worse for those of us that are here who see through him.

I guess what ticks me off is why so many smart people can't see through him OFF THE BIKE.

If he wanted to simply be a great TDF winner, my annoyance with Lance fans would be more or less moot. He is campaigning for some sort of messianic status and that's where I have to say, enough!

Time to go for a ride. Never know when my streak will end. :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS