• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official "be nice" Lance Armstrong thread

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
haz_general_warning1234289448.gif

Keep all discussions about Lance Armstrong in this thread, but please, keep it civil. That means no insulting fellow forumites, no curse words even if you know how to defeat the built-in filters and all keep doping discussions to The Clinic.

The last thread was shut down because certain members could not behave. This time, let's try to be reasonable. OK folks?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, Laura!

Can I just say - let's all please realize that LA is not the center of the universe and that he does not have to be talked about in one way or another all the time.

There's a whole world of cycling to talk about without having to drag LA into the discussion.

So, let's all try real hard to make (as) nice (as possible).;)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
amsterhammer said:
thank you, laura!

Can i just say - let's all please realize that la is not the center of the universe and that he does not have to be talked about in one way or another all the time.

there's a whole world of cycling to talk about without having to drag la into the discussion.

so, let's all try real hard to make (as) nice (as possible).;)

+1.............. :d

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Gjesp.

How is the old man, at 39 next summer, going to beat a Contador or Shrek in their prime?
He is a strong believer in himself, gotta give him that.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Lance is a loser.

He announced his return to cycling and behaved the worst possible way. From the very beginning he knew he wanted to ride the tour with J. Bruyneel and Astana. Since he knew this was going to create problems and upset the team make and balance, he started by saying he was going to race the Giro.

Then after people got used to that idea, he said he might race the tour. When people in Astana, namely Alberto Contador, got uneasy about that and tried to leave, both JB and Lance made up this stories about how Alberto would be the team leader etc etc.

Then when the Tour started, they changed their tune once again, saying that the "road would decide who the strongest rider was". From the beginning, Lance took effective control of Astana, even though he was not even a payed employee. While leveraging his personal friendship with Bruyneel to the professional detriment of Contador, and also leveraging the economic opportunities he is able to offer as the boss in a new team, he isolated Contador in the team. He made public comments against him. He practice phsycological warfare against his own teammate. He pulled every dirty trick in the book to distract Alberto. He made all sorts of announcement regarding his new team once he knew Alberto was making the headlines thanks to his talking on the road. Lance together with Bruyneel, set a "team strategy" that was counterproductive to Alberto's strengths and capabilities.

When all of the above failed, Lance truly showed his colors by his behavior at the podium, post race party etc. It's time for the world to know the real Armstrong.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:
Lance is a loser.

He announced his return to cycling and behaved the worst possible way. From the very beginning he new he wanted to ride the tour with J. Bruyneel and Astana. Since he knew this was going to create problems and upset the team make and balance, he started by saying he was going to race the Giro.

Then after people got used to that idea, he said he might race the tour. When people in Astana, namely Alberto Contador, got uneasy about that and try to leave, both JB and Lance made up this stories about how Alberto would be the team leader etc etc.

Then when the Tour started, they changed their tune once again, saying that the "road would decide who the strongest rider was". From the beginning, Lance took effective control of Astana, even though he was not even a payed employee. While leveraging his personal friendship with Bruyneel to the professional detriment of Contador, and also leveraging the economic opportunities he is able to offer as the boss in a new team, he isolated Contador in the team. He made public comments against him. He practice phsycological warfare against his own teammate. He pulled every dirty trick in the book to distract Alberto. He made all sorts of announcement regarding his new team once he new Alberto was making the headlines thanks to his talking on the road. Lance together with Bruyneel, set a "team strategy" that was counterproductive to Alberto's strengths and capabilities.

When all of the above failed, Lance truly showed his colors by his behavior at the podium, post race party etc. It's time for the world to know the real Armstrong.

Very nice statements of the facts chronology. Only a blind would see different than that.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:
Lance is a loser.

He announced his return to cycling and behaved the worst possible way. From the very beginning he new he wanted to ride the tour with J. Bruyneel and Astana. Since he knew this was going to create problems and upset the team make and balance, he started by saying he was going to race the Giro.

Then after people got used to that idea, he said he might race the tour. When people in Astana, namely Alberto Contador, got uneasy about that and try to leave, both JB and Lance made up this stories about how Alberto would be the team leader etc etc.

Then when the Tour started, they changed their tune once again, saying that the "road would decide who the strongest rider was". From the beginning, Lance took effective control of Astana, even though he was not even a payed employee. While leveraging his personal friendship with Bruyneel to the professional detriment of Contador, and also leveraging the economic opportunities he is able to offer as the boss in a new team, he isolated Contador in the team. He made public comments against him. He practice phsycological warfare against his own teammate. He pulled every dirty trick in the book to distract Alberto. He made all sorts of announcement regarding his new team once he new Alberto was making the headlines thanks to his talking on the road. Lance together with Bruyneel, set a "team strategy" that was counterproductive to Alberto's strengths and capabilities.

+1... and lets not forget the BS he pulled before the Annecy ITT. I always thought Lance was a self-centered D-bag, but his behavior during this past TdF was far worse than I could have imagined before. The surprise for me was that I thought Bruyneel would have had a bit better control of the situation than he did.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
LOL, this thread already delivers.

Oh, and I forgot... for somebody that uses his Twitter to praise the benefits of teamwork, he sure did not put in a single mile of effort setting tempo uphill for AC and sacrificing his GC chances on behalf of his team leader.

That fact makes him a terrible teammate.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Totally agree with how he schemed his way into the tour.

I also believe that whatever riders he's signed or does sign for his new team are hosed. I don't care if he promises on a stack of bibles, you know it's going to be his way on the new team or no way. Everyone will be there to work for him! I don't even see a need for Johan to be there, cause he'll dictate how things are ran.

fulcrum said:
Oh, and I forgot... for somebody that uses his Twitter to praise the benefits of teamwork, he sure did not put in a single mile of effort setting tempo uphill for AC and sacrificing his GC chances on behalf of his team leader.

That fact makes him a terrible teammate.

Or thank Contador for the hardwork he did for him on Ventoux. Couldn't even be bothered to attend the celebratory TEAM dinner that night.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
+1... and lets not forget the BS he pulled before the Annecy ITT. I always thought Lance was a self-centered D-bag, but his behavior during this past TdF was far worse than I could have imagined before. The surprise for me was that I thought Bruyneel would have had a bit better control of the situation than he did.

What happened before the annecy time trial.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
4 real?

fail to see the point of a discussion on lance where there is no opinions.
we all have to like lance eh laura.

no opinions here folks!
'the members could not behave"!!!!!!!!!!!

What sort of pedantic muck is that. Lets have a thread , but get like minded people to agree.
Ok i will try...all positive......lance is ok
lance is NOT a self centered **** trying to take over cycling.
Lance has in no way ever used doping products

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:
fail to see the point of a discussion on lance where there is no opinions.
we all have to like lance eh laura.

no opinions here folks!
'the members could not behave"!!!!!!!!!!!

What sort of pedantic muck is that. Lets have a thread , but get like minded people to agree.
Ok i will try...all positive......lance is ok
lance is NOT a self centered **** trying to take over cycling.
Lance has in no way ever used doping products

Sorry we're being nice, Lance has a good looking woman!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:
fail to see the point of a discussion on lance where there is no opinions...

no opinions here folks...

So true. So far all the responses are anti-lance, posted by like minded people patting themselves and others for thier bold opinions.

franciep10 said:
What happened before the annecy time trial.

According to an article, Contador had to hitch a ride to the time trial either from the hotel or his brother because the Astana folks were off picking up Lance's girlfriend and kids at the airport (at Lance's instructions). Make of it what you will.

fulcrum said:
Lance is 7 time tour winner.

Then after people got used to that idea, he said he might race the tour. When people in Astana, namely Alberto Contador, got uneasy about that and tried to leave, both JB and Lance made up this stories about how Alberto would be the team leader etc etc.

I agree 100% (with the highlighted changes above). Do our heros really have to be perfect (or even really good people) for us to be able to acknowledge their accomplishments. Yes LA acted like an A$$ and it might have been better for all involved if he would have stayed home this year, but he's not the devil incarnate that many want to make him out to be.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I agree 100% (with the highlighted changes above). Do our heros really have to be perfect (or even really good people) for us to be able to acknowledge their accomplishments. Yes LA acted like an A$$ and it might have been better for all involved if he would have stayed home this year, but he's not the devil incarnate that many want to make him out to be.

Two things:

1- Your reply has been reported to the moderator for changing my original words. You can reply with any opinions you have, but DO NOT CHANGE MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE while quoting me.

2- To read the series of events I wrote and to ask "Do our heroes really have to be perfect..." is funny. Lance is not a hero, first of all. And "perfect" might be too high of a standard, how about we settle for "good", or "decent", or even "average". He is not close to that level.

Hugh Januss said:

I don't know how to break this to you, but even 7 Time Tour de France winners can be losers.

TRENDING THREADS