• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012)

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
wirral said:
Armstrong tends to "destroy people" by focusing on hurting people's wallet through interrupting their income or suing them.

Landis - no job offer
Lemond - bike business
Hamilton - tipping off the UCI
Walsh - suing & job prospects
O' Reilly - job loss
Steffen - job loss

The list goes on.

I think you will find that Armstrong actually destroyed no one. He hurt people financially yes and caused them lots of undue stress but he did not destroy anyone afaik. He was not that lucky.

Franklin said:
So Lance lost his TdF wins and did not appeal to CAS. Ok, I owe this one to the Hog due to a bet:

You are right, I was wrong!

:cool:

:)

I'm not here to point score but good memory! :)

Lets see if he settles with SCA within 2-3months at 12m.

Your posts on the Sky threads are excellent. Make very good reading.

Fortyninefourteen said:
Get a room!!

Is this better?

Lance you are the reason I began watching professional cycling and the reason I still support it to this day. I watched you drag yourself over every mountain they threw in front of you, both on the bike and off, and you never gave less than your all. You're an inspiration to millions of people who dream of being more and no one can ever take that away. Thank you Lance- You are my hero!

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Is this better?

Lance you are the reason I began watching professional cycling and the reason I still support it to this day. I watched you drag yourself over every mountain they threw in front of you, both on the bike and off, and you never gave less than your all. You're an inspiration to millions of people who dream of being more and no one can ever take that away. Thank you Lance- You are my hero!

"Jest" a little holiday mirth.....

It's not like Lance to fade away and not stir up trouble.
No reason to fear his antics anymore for most, but he will not be content to be out of the limelight.

I predict he will be up to no good and getting press in the future.
He'll be busy for awhile ,though ,juggling the litigation...:rolleyes:

thehog said:
Is this better?

No, thats worse:D;)

86TDFWinner said:
No, thats worse:D;)

I'm going to miss Lance. No one to make fun of anymore!

sBFA_5307.JPG

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
flame my post all you like , LA will always be a legend in my eyes , he has done no more wrong than any other rider of his era , if you think all this **** does still not go on now then you need to wake up .

i fully except the sport is drug fuelled but i will not let that fact change my love of the sport , it is what it is .

the authorities had been chasing him for years before they actually got him so that shows it can be hidden very easily . obviously once they finally found something they have made him the biggest villain in sport , which is understandable because they had to clean the sport up before they started losing all the sponsorships and endorsements etc which kept the sport with a lifeline , and what better way to do it than string up the most decorated rider of all time .

sadly this will go on and on as it has been for years , this sport is too physically enduring for everyone to be clean .

its a shame and i do not agree with it , but i do accept it .

for me LA is the best rider thats ever lived !!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
shades1 said:
flame my post all you like , LA will always be a legend in my eyes , he has done no more wrong than any other rider of his era , if you think all this **** does still not go on now then you need to wake up .

i fully except the sport is drug fuelled but i will not let that fact change my love of the sport , it is what it is .

the authorities had been chasing him for years before they actually got him so that shows it can be hidden very easily . obviously once they finally found something they have made him the biggest villain in sport , which is understandable because they had to clean the sport up before they started losing all the sponsorships and endorsements etc which kept the sport with a lifeline , and what better way to do it than string up the most decorated rider of all time .

sadly this will go on and on as it has been for years , this sport is too physically enduring for everyone to be clean .

So Lance has done no more harm tham Moncoutie or Bassons?Wake up yourself.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
shades1 said:

You are awesome!!

shades1 said:

Give me the name of another rider who spread rumors that a female employee was a team prostitute.

Give me the name of another rider who sued people for telling the truth about his doping.

Give me the name of another rider who ratted on rivals because they were performing better than him.

Give me the name of another rider who bribed the UCI to the tune of at least $125K.

Give me the name of another rider who fired teammates because they would not dope or even when they would not dope to the degree that he thought they should.

Give me the name of another rider who committed perjury in order to commit insurance fraud.

Until you can show that most riders were doing those things then Armstrong did significantly more wrong than the others.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
shades1 said:
It´s been a while since we´ve seen a post like yours in the clinic so thanks for the reminder. It´s like a breath of fr... (strike that) stale fetid swamp gas. There is no doubt that LA excelled, however, being excellent at bad stuff only endears you to amoral and unethical people. Which is why people like LA can be quite useful. Now that it is all out in the open it is quite a useful barometer of character.

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Give me the name of another rider who spread rumors that a female employee was a team prostitute.

Give me the name of another rider who sued people for telling the truth about his doping.

Give me the name of another rider who ratted on rivals because they were performing better than him.

Give me the name of another rider who bribed the UCI to the tune of at least $125K.

Give me the name of another rider who fired teammates because they would not dope or even when they would not dope to the degree that he thought they should.

Give me the name of another rider who committed perjury in order to commit insurance fraud.

Until you can show that most riders were do those things then Armstrong did significantly more wrong than the others.

Good talking points, but those are reasons why you don't like his character. Not that he wasn't doping in the same fashion as most of the greats and his peers of the era. However most of those incidents are subjective and have greater context. People talk **** about former teammates and people who leave their organisation all the time, especially those that break omerta. Breschel accused Hamilton of turning up to races drunk and on sleeping pills, yet we don't talk about him. That kind of trash talk is common. Armstrong was in kinda an unusual situation in that he had extra scrutiny placed on him because of his success. Situations arose that wouldn't arise in other teams - in other teams it wouldn't be worth someone like Oreilly selling her story to a book, for instance. What Armstrong implied at a press conference was fairly mild.

As for the allegation that he "ratted" on other riders, there is no real evidence for this. He certainly did not tip off any authorities about specific details of drug use, go to the feds or anything like that. At worst he seemed paranoid that Hamiliton might have discovered some new **** and wanted him warned. There was no surprise tests, nothing, and he was eventually caught for a mistake nothing to do with Armstrong. To suggest LA's actions were anything like the betrayal of Armstrong - the greatest betrayal in the history of pro sports - is pure fiction. You may hate Armstrong, but he has more honor than that.

Having said that, it is acceptable to dislike his character, and in this superficial reality TV age that regrettably counts for something. But we can't deny he is one of the greats. Even pros that dislike him greatly grudgingly accept that.

TheTruthAboutCycling said:
Good talking points, but those are reasons why you don't like his character. Not that he wasn't doping in the same fashion as most of the greats and his peers of the era. However most of those incidents are subjective and have greater context. People talk **** about former teammates and people who leave their organisation all the time, especially those that break omerta. Breschel accused Hamilton of turning up to races drunk and on sleeping pills, yet we don't talk about him. That kind of trash talk is common. Armstrong was in kinda an unusual situation in that he had extra scrutiny placed on him because of his success. Situations arose that wouldn't arise in other teams - in other teams it wouldn't be worth someone like Oreilly selling her story to a book, for instance. What Armstrong implied at a press conference was fairly mild.

As for the allegation that he "ratted" on other riders, there is no real evidence for this. He certainly did not tip off any authorities about specific details of drug use, go to the feds or anything like that. At worst he seemed paranoid that Hamiliton might have discovered some new **** and wanted him warned. There was no surprise tests, nothing, and he was eventually caught for a mistake nothing to do with Armstrong. To suggest LA's actions were anything like the betrayal of Armstrong - the greatest betrayal in the history of pro sports - is pure fiction. You may hate Armstrong, but he has more honor than that.

Having said that, it is acceptable to dislike his character, and in this superficial reality TV age that regrettably counts for something. But we can't deny he is one of the greats. Even pros that dislike him greatly grudgingly accept that.

If he was such a great then he'd man up and admit..... weak.

Also holding a cancer patients hand and looking into their eyes, telling them he never doped to give them (false) hope will not have him remembered a great...

In 5 years time he'll be remembered as sad, lonely and broke. Nothing more.