• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012)

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2012
Visit site
Jack Aubrey said:
Regardless of Armstrong's character, any sport at the very top level is alot more than physical. Much more than plugging values in a calculator. Whatever anyone thinks of him, he is almost universally acknowledged as being one of the absolute toughest mentally. Is that worth + 10 VO2 max? Read up on psychological intensification. You can be rabidly anti-Armstrong but claiming his performance is only due to doping is ignorant.

Are you ever going to get tired of using a proxy server and anon email address to post here? Ever?...tiresome.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Jack Aubrey said:
OK If I got this right now: Armstrong was just an average joe triathlete/cyclist who only succeeded because he was a bully, was doped to his gills on everything under the sun, and had all the authorities covering for him. Without all that, he could only manage 50th place in the Tour de Gila.

A lot of is is because of his issues with his father, and being raised primarily by a mother who instilled in him the idea that he was better than anyone else in the world...No wonder he has been dating women who look like his mother for decades, right?

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I try to only talk about things I know about, which is why I've been a lurker for so long. I am a cycling novice, but I'd say I know a thing or two about sports psychology. The story of Lance Armstrong is fascinating from a psychological perspective even for cycling know-nothings like myself.

Armstrong strikes me as a decent tactician - when everything is going for him and he doesn't have to think too deeply about his next step - but his overall demeanour and the sum of his actions, both in the cycling world and outside of it, lead me to believe that he is in fact mentally very weak and I think that this is perhaps caused by his over-competitive nature. An obsession with victory can often lead to desperate and poor decision-making when faced with adversity, which he seems to have displayed a lot of in recent times. He seems terrified at the mere thought of losing, whether it be a bike race, a court case or his reputation. That kind of fear does not speak to mental toughness.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
LeLanternRouge said:
I try to only talk about things I know about, which is why I've been a lurker for so long. I am a cycling novice, but I'd say I know a thing or two about sports psychology. The story of Lance Armstrong is fascinating from a psychological perspective even for cycling know-nothings like myself.

Armstrong strikes me as a decent tactician - when everything is going for him and he doesn't have to think too deeply about his next step - but his overall demeanour and the sum of his actions, both in the cycling world and outside of it, lead me to believe that he is in fact mentally very weak and I think that this is perhaps caused by his over-competitive nature. An obsession with victory can often lead to desperate and poor decision-making when faced with adversity, which he seems to have displayed a lot of in recent times. He seems terrified at the mere thought of losing, whether it be a bike race, a court case or his reputation. That kind of fear does not speak to mental toughness.
" When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal " Nixon.
Kinda seems like the attitude Armstrong has to what he has done but as yet no admission. The mental toughness that some seem to suggest he has is nothing more than a defence mechanism where he has put a barrier between himself and reality, one that means he can hide away wrongs by telling himself he has done nothing wrong. That the ordinary joe would be wrong, but that he was not due to who he is and what he has achieved........mind you thats just my opinion :)

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Fatclimber said:
UCI getting impatient waiting for USADA's evidence:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-questions-usada-on-armstrong-file-delay

Maybe USADA are just being courteous and giving Pat & Hein a chance to clear their lawsuits of their plates? USADA was more than happy to grant extensions to Armstrong when needed, not the case with fatPat.

There is no time limit for this in the World Anti Doping Code. He should save his growling till the full heat comes on, he might need his voice for squealing when the bristle comes off. USADA haven't spent more time writing this lengthy file than UCI spent sitting on Contadors positive.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
neineinei said:
There is no time limit for this in the World Anti Doping Code. He should save his growling till the full heat comes on, he might need his voice for squealing when the bristle comes off. USADA haven't spent more time writing this lengthy file than UCI spent sitting on Contadors positive.

There's no time limit in UCI's ADR either.

Curious how UCI were able to point at rules galore when discussing the issue of alleged jurisdiction. But when it's not moving to their timeline, all they can do is bleat, with nary a valid reason to back them up.

"I want it so give it to me" is so typical of the spoilt brat mentality so prevalant within UCI's decisions and MO. They are not used to NOT being in charge of the situation and it shows in their immaturity.

One would imagine they want it before others so they can spin what is looking like a very bad PR situation to their best advantage. I guess there must be nothing more nerve-wracking than knowing you're guilty but not knowing quite how much others know and what irrefutable evidence they have of your misdeeds.

Fatclimber said:
UCI getting impatient waiting for USADA's evidence:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-questions-usada-on-armstrong-file-delay

Maybe USADA are just being courteous and giving Pat & Hein a chance to clear their lawsuits of their plates? USADA was more than happy to grant extensions to Armstrong when needed, not the case with fatPat.

Yet another clueless fanboy. How that guy could even sit there and say that he basically didn't believe Pharmstrong doped, is beyond me.

Also, Lance, you ARE banned from ALl sanctioned events, get over yourself a$$hole. Remember Wonderboy, YOU chose not to fight the charges. I'm seriously going to get a laugh when all the evidence is oit & people jump ship on Wonderboy. He's turning into a man w/o a country.

Like LeMond said so eloquently about Wonderboy " He's going to wind up w/o any friends in this sport". Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Zam_Olyas said:

Good to see Lance competing, especially when the world knows the charges against him by are a joke and there is no evidence.

USADA, think they have found the elusive smoking gun but like scared little girls, they refuse to release the evidence, maybe it will come out after the superbowl.

USADA, yes we have evidence, sorry no we dont, yes we do, no we dont, what a joke they are.

Haters hate, but hope rides again!!!

Hugh

hughmoore said:
Good to see Lance competing, especially when the world knows the charges against him by are a joke and there is no evidence.

USADA, think they have found the elusive smoking gun but like scared little girls, they refuse to release the evidence, maybe it will come out after the superbowl.

USADA, yes we have evidence, sorry no we dont, yes we do, no we dont, what a joke they are.

Hugh
Blind fanboys capacity for self humiliation has no limits

hughmoore said:

Hugh

It looks like USADA keeps getting more and more evidence.

hughmoore said:

Hugh

If it were indeed a "smoking gun" as you claim & "USADA has no evidence", then why didn't Wonderboy fight the charges? HE(your man crush Lance) had the right/opportunity to fight the charges & he(wait for it......) chose not to. If I were innocent, I'd fight the charges till the end. No "haters" here, just people laying out facts, something Wonderboy is afraid of(and folks like yourself can't seem to comprehend, he's GUILTY). Over a dozen people aren't going to run the risk & perjure themselves to save his ***. You're an uneducated fanboy, not surprising.

The Sunday Times:
Report makes tough reading for cycling’s rulers

THE REPORT from the United States Anti-Doping Agency explaining why it stripped Lance Armstrong of seven Tour de France titles and imposed a life ban is expected to be sent to the world governing body of cycling, the Union Cycliste International, this week.

UCI will find the report is uncomfortable reading — it details the doping conspiracy that underpinned the success of the world’s top cycling team, US Postal Service and its leader Armstrong, from 1999 to 2004.

Two riders are believed to have given affidavits that Armstrong told them he had a positive test swept under the carpet at the 2001 Tour of Switzerland and another has sworn that Armstrong told him he could use his influence with UCI to circumvent cycling’s anti-doping laws.

UCI is suing the former Sunday Times journalist Paul Kimmage for suggesting Armstrong was protected, an action that has outraged cycling fans and prompted them

bless David Walsh!

hopefully, somebody (RR?), will have this up so I don't have to wait until Monday when my news' agent is open.

thirteen said:
The Sunday Times:
Report makes tough reading for cycling’s rulers

bless David Walsh!

hopefully, somebody (RR?), will have this up so I don't have to wait until Monday when my news' agent is open.

bbwo8.jpg

Looks like Kristin gets a drubbing as she was handing out the drugs for Lance.