• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
SundayRider said:
Something I have been thinking about lately - it's pretty obvious he was a on a heavy program pre cancer. Why then was his results so average and why were they so good post cancer? Even more dope? More protection = greater freedom? Dr F? better training in combination with better dope?

The key players to building the myth are Wiesel and Hein/Pat. Armstrong was a super responder to Ferrari's program. Thom would have tried another Yankee if Armstrong didn't work out. Wiesel was the one culivating the myth.

IMHO, the UCI begins coordinating the doping with Wiesel to "grow cycling" in the U.S. Somewhere else in there the team gets a legit doping doctor, Ferrari.

What is the exact timeline and the exact individuals involved? No idea. But, in broad strokes, the athlete is just the personality fronting the fraud. "I'm sorry you don't believe" "What am I on?" "You are the cancer" "Done so much good" He was great at it. Certainly better than either Wiggo or Froome.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
can't see a insurance company paying out on this, would you if you where a underwriter .if the policy was taken out before he came out, he told lies to get it so they would just keep his money he paid. notice walsh got something out of it, so recon it cost Armstrong over 1 million

May 26, 2010
Visit site
drawkrb said:
can't see a insurance company paying out on this, would you if you where a underwriter .if the policy was taken out before he came out, he told lies to get it so they would just keep his money he paid. notice walsh got something out of it, so recon it cost Armstrong over 1 million

Inurance companies will pretty much insure anything.

What did Walsh get?

Walsh never paid out to Armstrong, it was the Sunday Times.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
here is what article said.

It said Walsh and English had "reached a mutually acceptable final resolution to all claims against Lance Armstrong related to the 2012 high court proceedings and are entirely happy with the agreed settlement, the terms of the which remain confidential".

yes they will insure for a price but if you lie forget it you get nothing

May 26, 2010
Visit site
drawkrb said:
here is what article said.

It said Walsh and English had "reached a mutually acceptable final resolution to all claims against Lance Armstrong related to the 2012 high court proceedings and are entirely happy with the agreed settlement, the terms of the which remain confidential".

yes they will insure for a price but if you lie forget it you get nothing

Here is what English tweeted.

Alan English ‏@AlanEnglish9 25 Ago

Nine years after Lance Armstrong sued @thesundaytimes, @DavidWalshST and me for libel, the paper gets its money back

You can lie to your hearts content to the world as long as you dont lie on your insurance policy ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Inurance companies will pretty much insure anything.

What did Walsh get?

Walsh never paid out to Armstrong, it was the Sunday Times.
why NewsCorp and Wall St were going after Lance. Cos he took them for coin. Rupert does not forget

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
jackwolf said:
So I'm off to my insurer to get myself covered for armed robbery. Just in case I get caught, you know. Doesn't get much sense to me.

I think he forgot to add 'within reason'. That is, insurance companies will insure anything within reason - you know: acceptable to community standards, within the law etc

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
If you can get an insurance policy against getting caught doping, can you also get one against getting arrested for robbing a bank?

I might be in the wrong line of work.

Also, it leaves insurance companies susceptible to being targeted as co-conspirators to breaches of federal crime.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
jackwolf said:
So I'm off to my insurer to get myself covered for armed robbery. Just in case I get caught, you know. Doesn't get much sense to me.

Depends how you word it. As far as i know doping in sport is not a criminal offence so why not insure against getting caught. It depends how you word the policy.

May 25, 2011
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
If you can get an insurance policy against getting caught doping, can you also get one against getting arrested for robbing a bank?

I might be in the wrong line of work.

Both doping (in France) and robbing a bank are both illegal, so if the first can be insured against, I don't see why the second couldn't be. (Or is one of them "more illegal" than the other?) This is what makes me think you cannot insure yourself against getting caught doping and somebody is talking pooh-pooh. Besides, why would you take a policy against getting caught doping if you're not doping? Wouldn't the insurance company automatically become a co-conspirator?

Armstrong: Hello, I would like to take a policy against getting caught doing something illegal

Insurance broker: Right, very good, but first there are a few things I need to know. How illegal are we talking? Would you say it's more like stealing a pack of biscuits from the corner shop or more like murder?

Armstrong: Probably something in between

Insurance broker: And what do you reckon your chances of getting caught are? What measures are you taking to avoid getting caught?

Armstrong: Well, there's the bribes to UCI officials, and then witness intimidation...

Insurance broker: Great, that sounds very good, but you could do better than that for a reduction in your premium. Can I suggest...