• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TheEnoculator said:
I got a ticket to see the world premiere of "The Armstrong Lie" at the Toronto International Film Festival. Depends on how the filmmakers portray Cancer Boy, I'll be asking them questions at the Q&A afterwards. If you have any question you want me to relay to the filmmakers, let me know.

Will report back after the screening.

Look forward to seeing a few Clinic regulars!

Dave.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
caryopsis said:
Do you know which showing has the Q&A, or is it both? I haven't gotten tickets yet, but was considering it - especially if the director's there to speak...

You have the best chance of getting Q&A in the first screening. That's where I'm going.

caryopsis said:
Do you know which showing has the Q&A, or is it both? I haven't gotten tickets yet, but was considering it - especially if the director's there to speak...

The press conference is supposed to follow the Monday showing. It is my understanding that there will be at least one or two guests worth hearing from.

Dave.

TheEnoculator said:
I got a ticket to see the world premiere of "The Armstrong Lie" at the Toronto International Film Festival. Depends on how the filmmakers portray Cancer Boy, I'll be asking them questions at the Q&A afterwards. If you have any question you want me to relay to the filmmakers, let me know.

Will report back after the screening.

If they don't cover Thom Wiesel/USA cycling building the myth, you should ask why they didn't.

Benotti69 said:
How Long before Monkeymouth declares bankruptcy?

Wonder how much he managed to get offshore.

I wonder what happens if it reaches deposition. He hasn't changed, so you have to wonder if there will be charges stemming from the deposition alone. It would have to be unprecedented preparation and very narrow questioning. Looking forward to all of it.

Anecdote for you: I'm walking down the street and the people in front of me are discussing their sports and they mention Armstrong events in relation to the sports they are discussing. Armstrong's downfall was the event that alerted them to how crooked professional athletics can be. They covered it all including the positives in Jamaica. It all goes in one mental bucket with Armstrong's name on the side.

Race Radio said:
http://youtu.be/Lc6UGt3W8KE

clip from the film.....wow, just wow

He still thinks he can spin his way out of this.

Dang, even Lance is dizzy from his spin. He talks in circles. I guess "one big lie" sounds nicer to him than "lots & lots of lies & lies."

He says the only person who can let people understand the "true narrative" is him (cough.. cough). This guy is a deluded control freak. How do you know Lance is lying? His lips are moving.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
If they don't cover Thom Wiesel/USA cycling building the myth, you should ask why they didn't.

Probably not a general public interest type of question although it potentially is a bigger story than Armstrong himself. It helps to keep raising the issue until it's addressed.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bosco10 said:
Dang, even Lance is dizzy from his spin. He talks in circles. I guess "one big lie" sounds nicer to him than "lots & lots of lies & lies."

He says the only person who can let people understand the "true narrative" is him (cough.. cough). This guy is a deluded control freak. How do you know Lance is lying? His lips are moving.

He holds up his hands and describes "these two narratives" like there was a colossal clash of unavoidable realities with him (the victim) in between them. The only narrative most of us can recall was that he was real and everyone else were jealous liars.
That clip...we should all have it on a portable device in case we run into him for the next 50 years.

Oldman said:
He holds up his hands and describes "these two narratives" like there was a colossal clash of unavoidable realities with him (the victim) in between them. The only narrative most of us can recall was that he was real and everyone else were jealous liars.
That clip...we should all have it on a portable device in case we run into him for the next 50 years.

The only thing the clip lacked was another 'monkey face' display.

Dave.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Actually the movie gets panned.

Venice was the world premiere. The reviews from the Italian media have been overwhelmingly positive

Tg1 - Vincenzo Mollica
"A wonderful movie on Lance Armstrong's story."

Il Messaggero - Gloria Satta
"Enthusiastic reactions at Venice Film Festival for The Armstrong Lie."

La Stampa - Michela Tamburrino
"Lance Armstrong's story is told by Alex Gibney, one of the greatest living documentary-directors."

L'Unità - Alberto Crespi
"The Armstrong Lie is the most ruthless portrait of the fraudulent sport-system, that cinema has ever given to us. The film is extraordinary and Alex Gibney is one of the greatest documentary-director in USA."

La Gazzetta dello Sport - Francesco Rizzo
"The Armstrong Lie is the Venice Film Festival's revelation, 122 minutes as tense as a thriller."

XL Repubblica - Ilaria Rebecchi
"Gibney is able to bring out the lie of the most famous sport-myth of our century"

RadioCinema - Emanuele Rauco
"Gibney made a movie with a reportage-rythm, driving the audience to think about the real essence of truth"

Movieplayer.it - Francesca Fiorentino
"The Armstrong Lie is an essential and dry examination of sporting ethics, a tense and focused face-to-face between one of the filmmakers most careful to the truth and a man who lied to the whole world."

Film4life.it
"Gibney's work hits and excites"

Screenweek.it -
"Gibney's knows the narrative secret to deal with myths and mythologies, disassembling these elements without succumbing to cynicism"

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Venice was the world premiere. The reviews from the Italian media have been overwhelmingly positive

Tg1 - Vincenzo Mollica

"Lance Armstrong's story is told by Alex Gibney, one of the greatest living documentary-directors."

L'Unità - Alberto Crespi
"The Armstrong Lie is the most ruthless portrait of the fraudulent sport-system, that cinema has ever given to us. The film is extraordinary and Alex Gibney is one of the greatest documentary-director in USA."

"The Armstrong Lie is the Venice Film Festival's revelation, 122 minutes as tense as a thriller."

"Gibney is able to bring out the lie of the most famous sport-myth of our century"

"Gibney made a movie with a reportage-rythm, driving the audience to think about the real essence of truth"

"The Armstrong Lie is an essential and dry examination of sporting ethics, a tense and focused face-to-face between one of the filmmakers most careful to the truth and a man who lied to the whole world."

Film4life.it

Screenweek.it -
"Gibney's knows the narrative secret to deal with myths and mythologies, disassembling these elements without succumbing to cynicism"

"My sides hurt, best comedy of the year" - Floyd Landis.

"An expensive flop" - US Postal.

"Its bullish!t, but don't quote me on that" - Pat McQuaid

"I am disappointed at the lack of nudity" - BPC/Polish

"An inspirational story of a clean athlete" - Phil Liggett

"Um, ah, maybe...' - George Hincapie.

"I never, never, never saw it and even if I did there was nothing to see" - Hein Verbruggen

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

"I never, never, never saw it and even if I did there was nothing to see" - Hein Verbruggen

"Look, a Unicorn!" - Tim Herman

"yo no hablo ingles" Chris Horner

"Lance who?" Sheryl Crow

"bebbbelaebala*#" Thom Weisel

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Thanks, I haven't laughed that much at a clinic post in years! :D

Race Radio said:

Tg1 - Vincenzo Mollica

L'Unità - Alberto Crespi

Film4life.it

Screenweek.it -

Race Radio stop teasing me.

It hurts.

Leave me alone.

Stop it.

Please. I'll stop. I promise. Whatever you want. Just leave me in peace.

Just stop.

I'm sorry. For everything. It won't happen again.

I was wrong. About everything.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
A somewhat more somber review of the film found in "The Hollywood Reporter":

-"The filmmaker does hint at the possibility that Armstrong -- who continues to claim he was “clean” during the 2009 Tour (in which he placed third) and its disastrous 2010 follow-up (23rd place) -- is trying to influence his own narrative even in front of Oprah and Gibney’s cameras. It can't be a good sign if your subject seems to have the last word."

Also this snippet from The telegraph's Robbie Collin:

-"The film leaves you enlightened and disillusioned, but still furious at Armstrong, who seems to have drawn the conclusion that he is now a tragic hero. “I know what it took to win those tours,” he maintains. “It was just a little more detailed than you guys were told.” Exasperating stuff, but if Gibney couldn’t crack him, you wonder if anyone could."

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
A somewhat more somber review of the film found in "The Hollywood Reporter":

-"The filmmaker does hint at the possibility that Armstrong -- who continues to claim he was “clean” during the 2009 Tour (in which he placed third) and its disastrous 2010 follow-up (23rd place) -- is trying to influence his own narrative even in front of Oprah and Gibney’s cameras. It can't be a good sign if your subject seems to have the last word."

Also this snippet from The telegraph's Robbie Collin:

-"The film leaves you enlightened and disillusioned, but still furious at Armstrong, who seems to have drawn the conclusion that he is now a tragic hero. “I know what it took to win those tours,” he maintains. “It was just a little more detailed than you guys were told.” Exasperating stuff, but if Gibney couldn’t crack him, you wonder if anyone could."

Armstrong is never going to let go of seeing himself as a 'hero' whether tragic or not. It is all he will have left after the money is long gone.

Armstrong bought into Armstrong more than anyone else (except BPC, Polish and Flickie) and he is not going to admit to selling himself a bùm deal.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
"Look, a Unicorn!" - Tim Herman

"yo no hablo ingles" Chris Horner

"Lance who?" Sheryl Crow

"bebbbelaebala*#" Thom Weisel

You forgot, Horner is Japanese, or was born there or some ****, so

"私は英語が話せない" Chris Horner