• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
This will be interesting.

Is it true Armstrong has since this all came crashing down on his head fallen out with Weisel and Stapleton, 2 people who definitely know the truth?

I think Weisel has been out of the picture for a while. Stapleton is more recent.....and Lance should be very concerned by him

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
wirral said:
Hopefully, a further search of their properties may reveal some Livestrong paraphernalia or even a salary slip.

I have some unopened yellow wrist bands to go along with my OJ Simpson football. Always knew that they would be collector's items.

Might be more paraphernalia than they have.

Dave.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
to me, on a deep down personal level, the armstrong story (as a doping subject) has long been resolved and is dead - as is the texan himself, media-wise speaking - my half life long struggle against the texas king fraud vindicated...

but, ever since tygart won his battle against the mcquiad obfuscation directed at covering armstrong, i had these stray questions, 'how are armstrong compatriots taking the 'unhappy' ending.

i am still curious. this new film may advance my perceptions but i do not hold my breath....

May 26, 2010
Visit site
python said:
to me, on a deep down personal level, the armstrong story (as a doping subject) has long been resolved and is dead - as is the texan himself, media-wise speaking - my half life long struggle against the texas king fraud vindicated...

but, ever since tygart won his battle against the mcquiad obfuscation directed at covering armstrong, i had these stray questions, 'how are armstrong compatriots taking the 'unhappy' ending.

i am still curious. this new film may advance my perceptions but i do not hold my breath....

Stapleton, Weisel and cohorts?

Race Radio said:
Vanessa O'Connell and Reed Albergotti new book "Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, The Tour de France and The Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever.”

Reed has been one of the best reporters on this subject. Should be a good book

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304171804579121642118958198.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet#

Looks like an interesting book, although I hope it avoids the fiction section with statements like this:

The maneuver came at the direction of team director Johan Bruyneel, a handsome, dark- haired Belgian who trailed the riders in a team car.

I am still waiting for the book that uncovers Armstrong's scamming the cancer charity market for millions. The doping story is pretty much old news, only some of the details are new information.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The book is out over here next week as well.

It should be well worth a read. SDS was a very good book but Walsh wrote it quickly to get it out for the Christmas period. I say this book should have a more in depth look into the aftermath of the Reasoned Decision.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I wasn't criticising Walsh for it. Nice try.

Why not? Why dont you criticise him for rushing it out instead of taking time in dealing with the whole Armstrong Lie and the reasoned decision instead of the rush to cash in?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Why not? Why dont you criticise him for rushing it out instead of taking time in dealing with the whole Armstrong Lie and the reasoned decision instead of the rush to cash in?

To say he hasn't dealt with the whole Armstrong Lie, is laughable.

Armstrong's downfall was complete. His Tour wins gone which was of most concern to Walsh. That was enough for Walsh to write the book. Nothing wrong with an author and publisher trying to maximise their sales. The story regarding his tour wins stripped was complete for him to pen this. That is enough for the vast majority of people in the world.

There was more to come, but there's more to come now after Vanessa O'Connell and Reed Albergotti's book. The story probably won't be complete either by the time Juliet Macur's book comes out early next year as well. I'm not going to criticise them either.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Vanessa O'Connell and Reed Albergotti new book "Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, The Tour de France and The Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever.”

Reed has been one of the best reporters on this subject. Should be a good book

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304171804579121642118958198.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet#

Just one thing from the extract.

Bock and Tygart wanted Herman to know they were concerned about Armstrong's well-being. They had actually been shocked by the magnitude and velocity of Armstrong's downfall and had worried about how he was dealing with it emotionally.

Lodged in the back of their minds was the memory of Antonio Pettigrew, a track athlete who committed suicide on an overdose of sleeping pills in 2010, at age 42, two years after losing his gold medal following a USADA doping ban.

While I was delighted with him getting exposed along with getting rid of the other bad apples in the sport for good, I have to say I was extremely worried about this also. He done s****y things and deserved much of what he got but I couldn't help thinking about this side of things as well. Still to this day, I think his mental well being and the effects of all this on his mind could be of concern. I don't know if you know Jurgen Klopp in football, the Borussia Dortmund manager but I remember he touched on this and it stirred up a lot of discussion in Germany. I thought he spoke a lot of sense. Not a lot of people reacted with this perspective to it all.

"I have sympathy for Lance Armstrong, even if that is not the order of the day. I don't believe you are born a cheat. Many have cheated in sport - some more, some less.

"He has to be punished - but with fair measures. If he commits suicide later, we must all ask ourselves: 'What have we done?' There are worse crimes than what Armstrong has done."

We shouldn't lose sense of this aspect no matter what our stance on doping is. And even though he is a *** of the highest order, it has to be applied to Armstrong as well. Sometimes perspective in our criticism is needed.

gooner said:
While I was delighted with him getting exposed along with getting rid of the other bad apples in the sport for good, I have to say I was extremely worried about this also. He done s****y things and deserved much of what he got but I couldn't help thinking about this side of things as well.

While I agree with what you are saying, nothing suggests he's been personally affected. Currently, the story from Armstrong is it's the world with the problem because they don't understand how he's been made the victim. Which, in the teeniest tiniest way has a little truth. Wiesel/Verbruggen/McQuaid/CSE were all pumping up the sports fraud.

I never ever wish bad things like attempted suicide on anyone. Unfortunately a personality like Armstrong's will calculate, then take advantage of your goodwill as he has shown with the angle that he's somehow a victim in this.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Just one thing from the extract.

While I was delighted with him getting exposed along with getting rid of the other bad apples in the sport for good, I have to say I was extremely worried about this also. He done s****y things and deserved much of what he got but I couldn't help thinking about this side of things as well. Still to this day, I think his mental well being and the effects of all this on his mind could be of concern. I don't know if you know Jurgen Klopp in football, the Borussia Dortmund manager but I remember he touched on this and it stirred up a lot of discussion in Germany. I thought he spoke a lot of sense. Not a lot of people reacted with this perspective to it all.

We shouldn't lose sense of this aspect no matter what our stance on doping is. And even though he is a *** of the highest order, it has to be applied to Armstrong as well. Sometimes perspective in our criticism is needed.

I don't disagree necessarily with this but I do wonder if Lance ever gave any thought to this when trying to, literally destroy, Mike Anderson, Emma, Betsy, Frankie, Greg and the others over the years.

If the world is being harsh to Lance.... he has no one to blame and he's just going to have to expect it. If his constitution won't tolerate that, then he's in for a rough time.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
To say he hasn't dealt with the whole Armstrong Lie, is laughable.

Armstrong's downfall was complete. His Tour wins gone which was of most concern to Walsh. That was enough for Walsh to write the book. Nothing wrong with an author and publisher trying to maximise their sales. The story regarding his tour wins stripped was complete for him to pen this. That is enough for the vast majority of people in the world.

There was more to come, but there's more to come now after Vanessa O'Connell and Reed Albergotti's book. The story probably won't be complete either by the time Juliet Macur's book comes out early next year as well. I'm not going to criticise them either.

So he has dealth with it or he hasn't because the story is not complete?

gooner said:

Yes, and if you put his actions, statements and reactions in perspective then:

DirtyWorks said:
While I agree with what you are saying, nothing suggests he's been personally affected. ...

This.

Lance is a case study.

Having been the person that originally pointed out how Lance may be the perfect Case Study, please allow me to re-post these four sequential elements of the Sociopathic Style:

4. PATHOLOGICAL LYING — Can be moderate or high; in moderate form, they will be shrewd, crafty, cunning, sly, and clever; in extreme form, they will be deceptive, deceitful, underhanded, unscrupulous, manipulative, and dishonest.

--> "Was it one big lie..."

5. CONNING AND MANIPULATIVENESS — The use of deceit and deception to cheat, con, or defraud others for personal gain; distinguished from Item #4 in the degree to which exploitation and callous ruthlessness is present, as reflected in a lack of concern for the feelings and suffering of one’s victims.

--> "But I never called her fat. Ha Ha."; Emma; Payoff other teames for Thrift Drugs; SCA; etc.

6. LACK OF REMORSE OR GUILT — A lack of feelings or concern for the losses, pain, and suffering of victims; a tendency to be unconcerned, dispassionate, cold-hearted, and non-empathic. This item is usually demonstrated by a disdain for one’s victims.

--> "Choads"

7. SHALLOW AFFECT — Emotional poverty or a limited range or depth of feelings; interpersonal coldness in spite of signs of open gregariousness.

--> how about the entire Oprah interview?

Of these, #6 and #7 (lack of remorse or guilt, and his shallow effect) in particular underscore how you don't need to worry about any suicidal thoughts that he might have.

He doesn't have them.

Dave.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know who commissioned the Documentary on Armstrong?

Is Alex Gibney doing this off his own bat or was it part of the myth building that went loco with the reasoned decision?

Benotti69 said:
Does anyone know who commissioned the Documentary on Armstrong?

Is Alex Gibney doing this off his own bat or was it part of the myth building that went loco with the reasoned decision?

Funny enough the documentary in its original form was a celebration of Comeback 2.0.

It was meant to chronicle the comeback to winning Tour.

It was meant to be a love in for Armstrong.

Enter stage right Floyd Landis.

So they had to change the premise which Armstrong agreed to make sure everyone knows what a nice guy he is.