• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 453 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Archibald said:
We're talking the Feds, not a rival business/company - what do they care on other business dealings?
They'll purely hunt emails between LA n TW, no? And likely be bound by confidentiality laws/protocols too

Cases leak all the time. Who says that someone at the Fed, at the USPS, at the IT Firm that helps with the records, might decide to pass on some of TW's business secrets to a friend? 'We're the Feds, trust us,' might not persude a Judge.

A Hospital is being sued because a Hospital Employee found out a woman had syphillis, told her ex-bf, who posted the info on Facebook. Against the law, against Hospital rules and against Facebook terms of service. Plus a totally bonehead move. But it happened, and once the information is out there, it can't go away.

I'm not saying Armstrong is the poster boy for needing his privacy upheld. And I'm not saying he'll win this issue. Just, generically, there are two sides to the coin and the court may get asked to rule on all this stuff.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
T
There "are" emails, or there "could be"?

OOps, I meant "If there were" I don't think there are. I expect there were communications between lance and many folks, including Weisel, but I do not know if they are still around

"If Clinton, after the affair at the White House, was told he could never speak in public again, never go around the world helping people, do all the things he does now, then he'd go down as the guy who did, you know, blah blah blah, with the intern. He'd still be considered an a**hole. Tiger, too.

"They're forgiven because they got a chance to come back and tell a different strory. But I can't change that narrative. I'm forever the a**hole."

He does have a point.... maybe a little one dressed down with a heavy dose of cynicism.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
He does have a point.... maybe a little one dressed down with a heavy dose of cynicism.

He does?

No one has ever suggested that Lance can't speak in public again, or "go around the world helping people."

He just can't race. Anywhere. In any real event.

Sucks to be him, I guess.

Race Radio said:
It is interesting to seem Lance's lawyers fighting so intensely, almost irrationally, over the Weisel emails. Gotta wonder what he has. I hope it is something good as no way Weisel should escape responsibility for this.....and he will not. .

Judging by the way he runs USAC, there's litigation gold in the emails.

##############
It's time to turn the demands for proof argument back onto the deniers.

USPS could never prove Thom was doping his guys. No sanctions by the cycling federation....
Suspecting there was malfeasance is not proof of anything.:rolleyes:

May 27, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

Oh, he has a point...a deranged, narcissistic, false-victim, whiny one, but it's a point...I mean we all have points, it's just that some are completely without merit, and some aren't...:rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Oh, he has a point...a deranged, narcissistic, false-victim, whiny one, but it's a point...I mean we all have points, it's just that some are completely without merit, and some aren't...:rolleyes:

His point is indeed a bit off. I would not expect Lance to know this but Clinton was stripped of his Law License because of the Monica mess.

What Lance did really isn't Billy and Monica. Massive voter fraud might be a better analogy.

What still really boggles my mind is that neither Marc Gorski or Jim Ochowicz haven't been more scrutinized or been in trouble. Wasn't Gorski CEO of Tailwind at one time?

And Ochowicz is a huge POG himself, promoting doping as far back as those early 7 Eleven teams(same with Gorski with doping).

I feel sorry for TJ

Bluenote said:
Cases leak all the time. Who says that someone at the Fed, at the USPS, at the IT Firm that helps with the records, might decide to pass on some of TW's business secrets to a friend? 'We're the Feds, trust us,' might not persude a Judge.

A Hospital is being sued because a Hospital Employee found out a woman had syphillis, told her ex-bf, who posted the info on Facebook. Against the law, against Hospital rules and against Facebook terms of service. Plus a totally bonehead move. But it happened, and once the information is out there, it can't go away.

I'm not saying Armstrong is the poster boy for needing his privacy upheld. And I'm not saying he'll win this issue. Just, generically, there are two sides to the coin and the court may get asked to rule on all this stuff.

fair call

Race Radio said:
OOps, I meant "If there were" I don't think there are. I expect there were communications between lance and many folks, including Weisel, but I do not know if they are still around

I'm sure, that if they haven't already done it, LA, TW n co are madly hitting 'delete' keys

Archibald said:
fair call

I'm sure, that if they haven't already done it, LA, TW n co are madly hitting 'delete' keys

All blackberry emails pass through servers (and stored) in Canada. AOL is seven years although everyone knows it's longer. The service provider will have them.

7 years was mandatory but with the advent of the NSA it's now life :rolleyes:

And Google :cool:

thehog said:
All blackberry emails pass through servers (and stored) in Canada. AOL is seven years although everyone knows it's longer. The service provider will have them.

7 years was mandatory but with the advent of the NSA it's now life :rolleyes:

And Google :cool:

The only way to get them from an ISP in the U.S. is being law enforcement. Sorry. :(

Now, maybe the government can act llike they are LEP. But a resistant ISP could blow them off. No authority at the NSA too.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
The only way to get them from an ISP in the U.S. is being law enforcement. Sorry. :(

Now, maybe the government can act llike they are LEP. But a resistant ISP could blow them off. No authority at the NSA too.

I believe USPS Team was disbanded in 2004.

Let's say hypothetically the Fed QT Team can somehow get them from the ISP. And let's go with the 7 year number (another hypothetical). 2004 + 7 = 2011. So unless the ISP got a 'retain all these emails until further notice,' prior to 2011 - they'd nuke them.

A lot of hurdles there, in going the get from ISP Route.

DirtyWorks said:

Yes, the NSA has no authority despite most of the world not knowing it existed prior to Snowden.

Lol! :cool:

Sorry, got sidetracked. Carry on.

Now, these emails, requires like more than one person to form a transaction that could be at alternate ISP etc.

Ahh, just hand them over Lance... I'll show your mine if you show me yours.

Bluenote said:
I believe USPS Team was disbanded in 2004.

Let's say hypothetically the Fed QT Team can somehow get them from the ISP. And let's go with the 7 year number (another hypothetical). 2004 + 7 = 2011. So unless the ISP got a 'retain all these emails until further notice,' prior to 2011 - they'd nuke them.

A lot of hurdles there, in going the get from ISP Route.

this is the thing...

a) ISP unlikely to still have them,

b) I seriously doubt that LA or TW would still have them either. Be stupid as all hell if they did.

So what exactly is left for the Feds to collect?

Then again, the only reason I could see them keeping them might be to blackmail each other later??
But... if they're playing funny-buggars at the moment to the Feds request, it would suggest someone's still got something. Otherwise, wouldn't they say, "we did the search requested and here's a bunch of old meaningless emails"...

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Archibald said:
this is the thing...

b) I seriously doubt that LA or TW would still have them either. Be stupid as all hell if they did.

Then again, the only reason I could see them keeping them might be to blackmail each other later??
But... if they're playing funny-buggars at the moment to the Feds request, it would suggest someone's still got something. Otherwise, wouldn't they say, "we did the search requested and here's a bunch of old meaningless emails"...

Or they're using it as a delay tactic. 'We won't even look to see if we have any old emails, until the court orders us to.' Which conveniently may take months.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
this is the thing...

I would guess they're looking for financial transactions linking Weezil to the operational management. Someone knows how money converted to drugs.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
this is the thing...

Perhaps lance saved emails and is using them as leverage to bring Weisel into the case?

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Perhaps lance saved emails and is using them as leverage to bring Weisel into the case?

If he had emails spelling out how $$ got turned into drugs, wouldn't he have dumped them during the criminal investigation?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bluenote said:
If he had emails spelling out how $$ got turned into drugs, wouldn't he have dumped them during the criminal investigation?

Popo's laptop got pinched by the Feds two years ago. Assuming they followed any of the suppliers used during the USPS system it's likely the trail goes beyond USPS to more current day. It doesn't have to start with Lance or Weezil.

Bluenote said:

Think about the personalities involved. It's definitely possible Wonderboy's game includes resurrecting Thom Wiesel content.

IMO, Thom is a very, very smart guy. Let's hope he has the usual blind spots many very smart people have who do not work in IT.:D

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Think about the personalities involved. It's definitely possible Wonderboy's game includes resurrecting Thom Wiesel content.

IMO, Thom is a very, very smart guy. Let's hope he has the usual blind spots many very smart people have who do not work in IT.:D

He launched many, sketchy tech IPOs making him unpopular with some investors that bought them. My guess is he could teach IT guys how to hide insider information better than anyone.
They'd hope to net information he'd claim did not exist, maybe encourage some perjury...who knows?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
He launched many, sketchy tech IPOs making him unpopular with some investors that bought them. My guess is he could teach IT guys how to hide insider information better than anyone.
They'd hope to net information he'd claim did not exist, maybe encourage some perjury...who knows?

Would be great if Lance had some info on Weisel's business dealings. That would be a much larger bomb then the doping stuff.