• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 499 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Beech Mtn said:
jens_attacks said:
can't wait to see him on le tour again, maybe eurosport will air again planet armstrong, would be pretty cool.

hope rides again! _O_

Yeah, I want to see the episode where the "Armstrongs" (sic) crash into a couple of parked cars and then the drunk driver forces his GF to hoof it through the snow on foot in an evening dress and heels to go pretend she was driving. That one's a classic :p

or the episode where he is in a bathroom looking for ladies to toss the salad and they say no thanks.......... :p

Heck so many great episodes of planet armstrong :D
Indeed, it would appear that his marketing value has been seriously compromised.

Re: Re:

frenchfry said:
Benotti69 said:
Beech Mtn said:
jens_attacks said:
can't wait to see him on le tour again, maybe eurosport will air again planet armstrong, would be pretty cool.

hope rides again! _O_

Yeah, I want to see the episode where the "Armstrongs" (sic) crash into a couple of parked cars and then the drunk driver forces his GF to hoof it through the snow on foot in an evening dress and heels to go pretend she was driving. That one's a classic :p

or the episode where he is in a bathroom looking for ladies to toss the salad and they say no thanks.......... :p

Heck so many great episodes of planet armstrong :D
Indeed, it would appear that his marketing value has been seriously compromised.

Either that or yet to be fully exploited.

Dave.

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession

DBotero said:
They can't stop him: "Lance Armstrong can ride his bike around France as often as he likes. It's got nothing to do with me or the UCI," Cookson said.

But for this BS,i hope he'll ride:“I'm sure that Geoff Thomas means well, but frankly, I think that's completely inappropriate and disrespectful to the Tour, disrespectful to the current riders, and disrespectful to the UCI and the anti-doping community,” Cookson said on Tuesday, according to AFP. “I think Lance would be well-advised not to take part in that.”

Interesting to see Cookson coming straight out. Obviously because it would compete with the UCI/ASO event. But, IMO, if this were Verbruggen he would have some kind of weird explanation to legitimize it.

This idea was actually a plot to an okay movie.
FOUND IT!! http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/8232

A screenwriter cannot make up all the stupid, crazy stuff that happens in this sport. And it's only March!

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

Tonton said:
Armstrong has no business being anywhere near the TdF, not this year, not next year, not ten years from now. Period.

Why not? It's a match made in heaven. Former rider and doper, rides charity event before current not yet banned doped riders. It's a circus. Lance being there or not there won't change that.

Bosco10 said:
NYT says Armstrong recently met with Tygart in a bid to reduce his ban, and that Scott Mercier arranged the meeting. Holy Moly eh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/s...-meet-with-usada-chief-in-bid-to-cut-ban.html
Significant error in the article:

"Until now, Tygart has been the biggest obstacle to any Armstrong comeback."

Should read: "Until now, ARMSTRONG HIMSELF has been the biggest obstacle to any comeback."

M Sport said:
Tonton said:
Armstrong has no business being anywhere near the TdF, not this year, not next year, not ten years from now. Period.

Why not? It's a match made in heaven. Former rider and doper, rides charity event before current not yet banned doped riders. It's a circus. Lance being there or not there won't change that.

Why not? Because he's going to take it from the public. His '05 podium rant (i.e. my signature) hasn't been forgotten/forgiven by the French public, and some knuckleheads (including me) will want a piece of him. LA would spend his time dodging hecklers and punches IMO. Not fun. He won't do it.

Your "current not yet banned doped riders" comment may be true. But it's in no one's best interest to allow LA to steal the show and be reminiscent of times that the sport wants to forget. Whether enough is done to clean up the sport is a different story. ASO and all involved would rather bury their head in the sand. Still, the public at large wants to believe in change: LA's presence anywhere near the TdF would bring doping to the forefront, and no one will let it happen.

Armstrong will have a film crew with him, capturing this step on his 'road to redemption.' The whole thing will be contrived and artificial.

Lance's popularity with the French public is probably quite low. I doubt that the French will show him any love at all, given that he has really trashed their premier sporting event (and quite often the French themselves).

Tonton said:
But it's in no one's best interest to allow LA to steal the show and be reminiscent of times that the sport wants to forget. Whether enough is done to clean up the sport is a different story. ASO and all involved would rather bury their head in the sand. Still, the public at large wants to believe in change: LA's presence anywhere near the TdF would bring doping to the forefront, and no one will let it happen.

While I agree with your intent, Wonderboy actually doing it cuts to the heart of the sport's minders managing the image of a sport rather than actually managing a sport. I would be all for it if one of the messages was this, but it's not.

And we know he'll likely encounter either indifference and/or some kind of imagined slight to his legendary status as a legend in his own mind and so he'll quit.

I too wish it were different. As long as the UCI permits doping as they do now, it's not a sport, it's an image of a sport.

MarkvW said:
Armstrong will have a film crew with him, capturing this step on his 'road to redemption.' The whole thing will be contrived and artificial.

Lance's popularity with the French public is probably quite low. I doubt that the French will show him any love at all, given that he has really trashed their premier sporting event (and quite often the French themselves).

LOL! No doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries releasing some sort of dvd about it, "redemption", while boasting to his shitbag friends about how he's duped more folks.

By the way, if anyone here needs a good laugh, or a WTF moment, here you are(I'm STILL in shock about this & really don;t know what to say). IF this did happen, and TT even fathoms reducing Wonderboys ban, he'll be no more ethical than McQuack, and I'll have lost all respect for him:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/ ... art_363833

Here's another(and you'll scratch your head at what I highlight):

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/sport ... -news&_r=1

Tygart, in an interview, would not confirm the meeting had taken place, and Armstrong’s lawyer, Elliot Peters, did not respond to a telephone message left at his San Francisco office. But Armstrong, 43, has confided to close friends that the meeting went well and that he was hopeful of further talks.

Yikes!!

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Regarding Armstrong doing the charity ride along the TdF route, wouldn't the French Plod have some questions for Lance regarding his admitted use and supply of contraband within French borders? Several nights in a grimy dank prison cell in NW France beckons (only marginally worse than their hotels).

Tonton said:
M Sport said:
Tonton said:

Why not? Because he's going to take it from the public. His '05 podium rant (i.e. my signature) hasn't been forgotten/forgiven by the French public, and some knuckleheads (including me) will want a piece of him. LA would spend his time dodging hecklers and punches IMO. Not fun. He won't do it.

Your "current not yet banned doped riders" comment may be true. But it's in no one's best interest to allow LA to steal the show and be reminiscent of times that the sport wants to forget. Whether enough is done to clean up the sport is a different story. ASO and all involved would rather bury their head in the sand. Still, the public at large wants to believe in change: LA's presence anywhere near the TdF would bring doping to the forefront, and no one will let it happen.

Please, please please!!!

And can you get the word out to Syringe-man, the EPO troupe and the blood doping trio?

syringe_man.jpg

xin_040704270906525312242.jpg

blood-doping-263x300.jpg

If it is a circus, make sure to fill all three rings with acts.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Please, please please!!!

And can you get the word out to Syringe-man, the EPO troupe and the blood doping trio?

Dave.

Not sure on which point(s) you disagree with me, Dave. Funny pics by the way.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Tonton said:
D-Queued said:
Please, please please!!!

Dave.

I could be wrong, but it looks like he's agreeing with you

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Re:

86TDFWinner said:
By the way, if anyone here needs a good laugh, or a WTF moment, here you are(I'm STILL in shock about this & really don;t know what to say). IF this did happen, and TT even fathoms reducing Wonderboys ban, he'll be no more ethical than McQuack, and I'll have lost all respect for him:

Tygart, in an interview, would not confirm the meeting had taken place, and Armstrong’s lawyer, Elliot Peters, did not respond to a telephone message left at his San Francisco office. But Armstrong, 43, has confided to close friends that the meeting went well and that he was hopeful of further talks.

Yikes!!
Yeah it's a bit disconcerting. On the other hand, I'd be OK with a ban reduction if Armstrong actually served up some useful information concerning the UCI. Really, his participating in triathlons isn't going to be all that. He's 43, he'll need to dope in order to compete. If he does, everyone on will know it. If he doesn't, he'll plain old suck, and how much fun will that be?

Tonton said:

"Like"

Unscythrhino said:
Regarding Armstrong doing the charity ride along the TdF route, wouldn't the French Plod have some questions for Lance regarding his admitted use and supply of contraband within French borders? Several nights in a grimy dank prison cell in NW France beckons (only marginally worse than their hotels).

I've been wondering the same thing, considering that it's a criminal offence over there - love to see it happen... the moment he steps off the plane!

Re:

86TDFWinner said:

Yikes!!

I'm curious as to why the meeting was held at Dallas airport. Surely they'd be at a starbucks where they can talk about racing together

skippythepinhead said:
Tonton said:
D-Queued said:
Please, please please!!!

Dave.

I could be wrong, but it looks like he's agreeing with you

Yes, agreeing with you.

Can we crowd fund?

Dave.

"But Armstrong, 43, has confided to close friends that the meeting went well and that he was hopeful of further talks."

Given LA's predictions about how well his cheating went, how well he covered up his cheating and how well his lawsuits are going, I would not hold my breath about anything LA says "went well"

My hunch is Tygart was civil to LA, but deep down inside he hates him, and I would not bet my cuddly slippers his ban will get reduced.

Bosco10 said:
To top it all off, Lance is again referring to himself as "7x TdF Champ" on Twitter. What's up with dat?

:confused: Well he has won 7 TDF,or maybe i was just seeing things.If i remember right it was live on Eurosport,but what do i know :)