• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I rewatched the first half of the interview and got this list of untruths, can't be bothered to watch the second half since bed is calling, but maybe someone wants to finish the list and add in the rest of his creative rememberings from tomorrow?

I started doping in the mid 90's.

I didn't have access to anything else that nobody else did.

Doping program was very conservative, very risk averse, very aware of what mattered and didn't, one race mattered for me.

I didn't read Tyler's book.

Doesn't remember coke cans, or doping in the camper with fans outside.

My cocktail was only EPO (not a lot) transfusions and testosterone.

You're clean at the races.

The biological passport really worked, but I wasn't doping in 2009/2010.

Absolutely true that I stopped doping in 2005.

I could only get someone fired depending on what they're doing.

It's not true that I threatened CVV to get with the program or you're off the TdF team. (he's probably being technically truthful in that he used different wording than what Oprah asked).

I care a lot about Christian.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Lance Armstrong that we previously knew so well, is now completely shattered, ruined, screwed, destroyed and vulnerable to all kinds of lawsuits, so this made-for-TV confession (or lack thereof) is a major turning point in this whole saga, even for cycling, whether we like it or not, particularly when most of us didn't even see that any form of confession was ever going to happen.

As a result, I think this post-confession period deserves a new thread.

This thread will be for all that happen to Armstrong and everything that he does/says after his Oprah interview: lawsuits, interactions with USADA/WADA (if any), whistleblowing on UCI (if he will), and whatever that's relevant to Armstrong, etc.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Why ZERO mention of his money?!?!

"All my doping, lying, cheating, etc. et al cost me $75 million in the future."

Boo.
Hoo.

Doprah should have asked him if he felt so truly horrible about all the things he has done in the last 15 years (besides doping), then why not return all his ill-gotten gains ($$$) -- with public apologies -- to the rightful parties, as well as paying massive restitution to those people whose careers and/or reputations he destroyed to protect his own fraudulent life?

Guess he loves money more than he loves truth.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
he cannot have "lost" 75 million dollars in future income.

that is like a bank robber who pulls a heist. the proceeds of which he invests and collects the dividends. the tax authorities discover the ill-gotten investing and confiscate the remaining principle. the bank robber then gives an interview complaining of the lost income.

uh. yeah.

My overall imprecision of the " LA's confession Aftermath" is simple:

It did not measure up to the massive scam that lance Armstrong himself & Co have pulled off over the last 15 years & sadly Oprah has allowed him to seize the opportunity to manipulate, control & overcome the public's opinion to further his hollow image of "redemption & guilt" while opening the opportunity for him to pursue his career with impunity & financial gain through a possible "book & movie deal"...............................Meanwhile- the Andreu's have to struggle with whatever they can earn because the simply "told the Truth"............

sad indeed......

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
What a joke, this "confession". Imagine a serial raper coming to the catholic church for a confession and instead of him telling everything, the priest grabs newspaper and asks:

- My son, did you rape Marie-Ann?
- Yes, but you know, everyone from my gang was raping...

- OK my son, and did you rape Josephine?
- Yes, but you know, without raping, I could not win respect of my gang...

- Very good, and did you rape also Adele?
- Yes, but only a little, and damn, I feel humiliated, this is so ugly

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
How I would know Lance really is sorry

1. He gives at least 95% of his fortune to a real charity
2. He publicly admits exactly what he did to and said about Lemond, the Andreus, Kimmage, at al and ask them what he can do to make amends
3. He gives up his attempt to return to cycling, tri, whatever and spends the time trying to repair his relationship with his kids instead
4. He volunteers to help out at his local hospital helping cancer patients during their treatment
5. He publicly admits that the show he just gave with Oprah was more of the same BS

Feel free to add your own.

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
This whole thing recalls a Brechtian drama, unfortunately without a Kurt Weil to set it to memorable music.

As much as the current narrative requires a reviled character, as much as he willingly acted the part, Lance was almost certainly a bit player.

Corruption within cycling obviously goes much deeper - if the Weisels, McQuaids and Verbruggens are not rooted out, this whole exercise will have been a failure.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
In a "confession", he tells everything, not only few picks from what's already well known and proven. I mean, UCI links, doping network details, the whole history. But we know him, he'll never do this voluntarily, only jailtime threat may force him to fully collaborate.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Oprah as vehicle for the truth was never gonna happen. Everyone knew he doped. So admitting to the doping was no biggie for him. The rest well we didn't get it, we got more lies. He lied about bribing UCI, he lied about being sorry or contrite. He doesn't feel he cheated, he feels he did waht everyone else did so not cheating, which shows how contrite he is. He compares himself Ullrich, Mayo, Basso, but forgets Bassons and Scott Mercier and guys who walked rather than cheat.

If people still buy into Armstrong as a true sports hero, they have problems.

If people buy that he is truly sorry for his actions, they have problems.

If people believe he chose the weakest interviewer with the largest possile audience to get his fake message across becuase he truly was sorry, they have problems.

I hope CBS or other large media organisation does an in depth look in LieStrong and finds out where the money goes. It isn't to help people with cancer that is for sure.

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
As much as the current narrative requires a reviled character, as much as he willingly acted the part, Lance was almost certainly a bit player.

Corruption within cycling obviously goes much deeper - if the Weisels, McQuaids and Verbruggens are not rooted out, this whole exercise will have been a failure.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
hope that yella wrist band still fits.

In case you are implying i ever had one: i am not american, i never followed cycling or LA that much, i had no idea this even existed until i started reading the Clinic.

My 'good grief' was my expression of being shocked by reading this interview and to hear about the lows LA was capable of (and still is). I really had no idea. I guess i'm still catching up, even after following this since a year or so.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
peterh said:
In case you are implying i ever had one: i am not american, i never followed cycling or LA that much, i had no idea this even existed until i started reading the Clinic.

My 'good grief' was my expression of being shocked by reading this interview and to hear about the lows LA was capable of (and still is). I really had no idea. I guess i'm still catching up, even after following this since a year or so.

I deleted my post before yours appeared. Apologies.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bicycle tramp said:

This is in part what the confession was trying to protect. This and trying to drum up public support for himself by coming across as a victim of cycling.

He failed. Anyone with half a brain watching this would know he was lying big and still hiding and trying to protect lots.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Just a stuggling actor

Bicycle tramp said:

A bit player who stood atop the TdF podium 7 times?
A bit player who received tens of millions of dollars a year in sponsorship?
A bit player who may have influenced investigations at multiple levels, including USA Federal?

Yeah, some bit player.

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
This is in part what the confession was trying to protect. This and trying to drum up public support for himself by coming across as a victim of cycling.

He failed. Anyone with half a brain watching this would know he was lying big and still hiding and trying to protect lots.

I agree. I doubt that He regards himself as a victim, although he probably sees himself as a wrong-doer. I'm saying that there are people more culpable than Lance (whatever his shortcomings) in this and that thay must be exposed.

TRENDING THREADS