• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MarkvW said:
Little to gain. Much to lose (a potential contributor to pay off the USPS judgment).
Hard to figure.

I got that(the potential for help in paying off the USPS suit), but him offering them up on a platter would probably make him look a bit better in the eyes of USADA, and so forth, at least IMO.

Is Weisel still on the Wonderboy bandwagon, and chummy w/ him, or is it more or less Weisel wants nothing to do with him? Either way, I think as far as the ban goes, it could only help Wonderboy in that aspect to offer up these two schlubs.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
I got that(the potential for help in paying off the USPS suit), but him offering them up on a platter would probably make him look a bit better in the eyes of USADA, and so forth, at least IMO.

Is Weisel still on the Wonderboy bandwagon, and chummy w/ him, or is it more or less Weisel wants nothing to do with him? Either way, I think as far as the ban goes, it could only help Wonderboy in that aspect to offer up these two schlubs.

I think raceradio, i stand to be corrected, said that the Weasal and Moneymouth are not longer speaking.

But Weasal is very well connected in California and cannot imagine Armstrong taking the risk of taking on Weasal. It is a fight he would lose.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Walsh gave a talk at at the London College of Communication (LCC) last night.

Criticised the libel laws in Britain.

Walsh, who told the LCC audience several times that he refused to fall into the trap of so many sports journalists - being "a fan with a typewriter" - drew lessons from his experience:

"A good story is always worth pursuing"... "if you're right, good people will come out to help you"... "it's ok to swim against the tide"... and Britain's libel laws "are seriously deficient - they have zero interest in the truth".

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/jan/28/lance-armstrong-sundaytimes?

I would loved to have gone to the Q&A tonight with him at the local cinema here for The Armstrong Lie but it's open only to the winners of a competition that one of the national newspapers are running. A pity.

Good interview with Alex Gibney today. Speaks a lot of sense here ridiculing the "level playing field" myth.

WH: When you see the famous photo Lance tweeted of himself on the sofa with his 7 Tour de France jerseys, he clearly still thinks he was the best at winning at that time. Do you think that’s a fair argument and that he deserves some credit for that?

AG: I think he does. And frankly I think the idea of expunging him from the record books is silly. It’s like Robespierre after the Revolution, and it also allows everybody involved to absolve any sense of responsibility. Having said that, it wasn’t a level playing field, and it wasn’t a level playing field in this sense because he had such an outside influence in the sport. The organizing body of the sport cut him so much slack and I suspect in the days ahead we may yet find out about how much slack they cut him. But even after he retired, the ability to massage his reputation and keep it clean for the sake of the sport because he was bigger than the sport; that’s where he had an advantage that nobody else had.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/sport/5623/lance-armstrong-inside-the-lie/?

Looking forward to finally watching this on Friday.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I hope someone in the crowd had the sense to throw Walsh' Sky book at him after that risible statement. At the very least there should have been a lot of snickering.

I repeat this again to you, you say the above without reading his articles and in particular the one a few weeks back where he criticised Sky hugely over JTL and for signing Rogers with his past over Ferrari. Plus a huge picture with Wiggins in his yellow jersey alongside Rogers in a Sky one isn't exactly helpful to Sky's image.

Name me one journalist who has written more articles than Walsh criticising Sky in the last couple of months regarding these topics?

I don't want to deflect the thread either.

The talk last night was specifically on Lance. There was a very good reaction to it from the people that were there.

Digger said:
Walsh is an idiot...Lance bullying Bassons is not good - but Wiggins and millar bullying Landis when he told the truth is ok.

When did he say it was OK?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
Wonder if he'll be back on the juice again when this happens.;):)

Apparently everyone on Dancing with the Stars is doing it. I looked up the definition of the word 'cheating' and it defined it as 'an unfair advantage' so I am all good with it. Michele is working on the VAM mapping right now, and Charmichael is back in the kitchen.....

gooner said:
in particular the one a few weeks back where he criticised Sky hugely over JTL and for signing Rogers with his past over Ferrari. Plus a huge picture with Wiggins in his yellow jersey alongside Rogers in a Sky one isn't exactly helpful to Sky's image.

Don't give us this JTL crap again. The moment JTL was notified by the UCI that it knew what everyone else with a brain knew about JTL it was only a matter of time before it became public. The question for the Sky people then became who they wanted to report it, a random reporter or someone who is part of Sky's propaganda machine. Walsh then gets to pretend he is hard on Sky even as he is comparing people who question Sky to Jews calling for the death of Jesus. Walsh has zero credibility on Sky

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Some funny quotes from the past:

Greg Lemond will be at l'Álpe d'Huez on Wednesday. After Lance's win LeMond was quoted as saying: " It is unbelievable what he is doing. A victory by Lance is good for the image of cycling sport. We need that after all these doping affairs. And after all it's great to see a man who had cancer can win the Tour."
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jul99/jul15.shtml

The doctor who treated Lance Armstrong for cancer, Lawrence Einhorn, has publicly stated that he is enjoying the strong showing of his former patient but that it is the result of the Americans tremendous motivation and not drugs. He said: "I have heard all these allegations that Lance is on drugs and they are ridiculous. It is also ridiculous to state that the cancer was caused by him taking performance enhancing drugs."
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jul99/jul16.shtml

"... Bassons has become a pariah for his honesty on cycling's cancer.”
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jul99/jul20.shtml

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Don't give us this JTL crap again. The moment JTL was notified by the UCI that it knew what everyone else with a brain knew about JTL it was only a matter of time before it became public. The question for the Sky people then became who they wanted to report it, a random reporter or someone who is part of Sky's propaganda machine. Walsh then gets to pretend he is hard on Sky even as he is comparing people who question Sky to Jews calling for the death of Jesus. Walsh has zero credibility on Sky

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Like I said you didn't even read the article.

Notice you didn't answer my question.

Name me one journalist who has written more articles than Walsh criticising Sky in the last couple of months regarding these topics?

To be expected.

The only nonsense is from you, saying Walsh wouldn't have gone after Lance if he was more British.

Lets keep this thread on topic than you hijacking it with Sky talk. The links I posted were on topic.

gooner said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Like I said you didn't even read the article.

Notice you didn't answer my question.

I am under no obligation to answer questions from someone whose chief purpose is to make excuses for Team Sky's obvious doping.

Walsh's JTL article contained nothing about the big white elephants in the room, the performance of Wiggins, Froome, Porte, etc. It was nothing more than damage control where he says that Sky is at the vanguard of anti-doping, has taken the moral high ground, and everyone else hates them for it. The problems with Lienders and JTL were portrayed as the team's recruitment policies possibly not be sufficiently rigorous, something the beacon of cleanliness in the peloton will surely fix if it turns out to be the case. In fact, Walsh takes the Sky official line by trying to pass blame onto Garmin and Endura.

BroDeal said:
...Sky is at the vanguard of anti-doping, has taken the moral high ground, and everyone else hates them for it.

A gentle reminder that it was widely reported that Lienders was Rasmussen's doctor at Rabbo. Yet, this was missed somehow. I was super-slow at catching onto the clue that Lienders was leaving Rabbo because Rabbo's bosses wanted to go clean. I don't give the team managers as much leeway for being clueless.

BTW, how often did Rabbo riders test positive? We had Rasmussen who technically, at the time, did not test positive and ???

McLovin said:
Some funny quotes from the past:

Greg Lemond will be at l'Álpe d'Huez on Wednesday. After Lance's win LeMond was quoted as saying: " It is unbelievable what he is doing. A victory by Lance is good for the image of cycling sport. We need that after all these doping affairs. And after all it's great to see a man who had cancer can win the Tour."
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jul99/jul15.shtml

In his defense, at the time, I don't think anyone knew what we did/do now about Wonderboy. Eventually, even the King(LeMond) knew something just didn't add up w/Lance the Doper.

DirtyWorks said:
A gentle reminder that it was widely reported that Lienders was Rasmussen's doctor at Rabbo. Yet, this was missed somehow. I was super-slow at catching onto the clue that Lienders was leaving Rabbo because Rabbo's bosses wanted to go clean. I don't give the team managers as much leeway for being clueless.

BTW, how often did Rabbo riders test positive? We had Rasmussen who technically, at the time, did not test positive and ???
Dekker? There was a bit of noise around Menchov as well but that was it. Sounds like Leinders has a pretty good hit rate.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Just back from the Armstrong Lie, and while I didn't find anything ground breaking in it, it's still well worth watching.

Some interesting behind the scenes footage and Bruyneel wasn't half-p***** in the car with Contador's attack on the Schlecks and dropping Kloden in the process.

Strange to see Ferrari getting interviewed close up too considering I haven't seen an interaction like this from him before.

You see how close Gibney got up to him in the 09 Tour and he was a fanboy at the time egging him on the win. I notice that was a slight criticism in the reviews I read beforehand but it was to be expected when the footage was in the first make of the doc and before Floyd blew it out in the open. He more than makes up for it for large parts in the rest of the film.

Armstrong is in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks in 30 years or whatever he will still be remembered as the winner of those Tours.

I don't want to give away anymore. I recommend go and watch it.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good Gooner, keen to go and see it myself.

Watching the Graham Norton show here in the UK, former Lance fan boys Matthew McConaughey and Sheryl Crow looking haggard.

I feel sorry for Sheryl now she looks so much less hot.

gooner said:
Armstrong is in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks in 30 years or whatever he will still be remembered as the winner of those Tours.

Who else won those Tours?

Or do we also pretend Landis, Pantani, Ullrich, Riis, Indurain etc. also didn't win the Tour?

If a noob asks who won the 1994 Tour, everybody will answer Indurain. I can't see why that should change in 30 years. He and all the others mentioned here will for a large part always be remembered as Tour winners. Rightly so.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:

Or do we also pretend Landis, Pantani, Ullrich, Riis, Indurain etc. also didn't win the Tour?

If a noob asks who won the 1994 Tour, everybody will answer Indurain. I can't see why that should change in 30 years. He and all the others mentioned here will for a large part always be remembered as Tour winners. Rightly so.

Concur. Nobody else is ever going to be awarded the TdF "win" for Lance's tours. They will get an asterisk, tho.

Netserk said:

I think Wonderboy is still "pretending" he won those 7 tours. According to the govering bodies, he's not the winner, and now, the record books reflect that, as he's been stripped of ALL 7 titles.

If Wonderboy(Landis, Ullrich, etc) want to go around "pretending" they've won those tours, they certainly can, it's their right. They'd be wrong mind you, as the books/results show, but they can do as they wish.

People 30 yrs from now, are free to believe whatever they choose. Just like they can't "take them away" apparently, they also "can't take away" what Lance and those others did, regardless of what the record books show. They can't take away Wonderboys deceit, lies, bullying, etc, etc. Either.

Yeah his name is no longer in the record books so his name will only come up in the context of doping. As a kid I remember being quite shocked when reading about Pollentier losing the yellow jersey at the Alpe d'Huez in 1978 after cheating at the doping test.

Netserk said:

Armstrong won the "open" category.

In the "regulated" category probably none of the riders listed won the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS