• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 372 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Granville57 said:
Yeah, I just read through that drivel. WTF? He's telling Greg what Greg's life was like? :confused:

And he only just learned LeMond's story because of the 30 For 30 documentary?

If I were cynical, I'd begin to wonder if McKinnon's real purpose was to promote the film. Am I really expected to accept the claim that everything McKinnon knew of LeMond had been filtered though Lance? That this guy was incapable of even the smallest amount of independent thought regarding LeMond until just now?

Give me a break.

"Political advisor." I can see his clients are putting themselves into the hands of someone truly informed. :roll eyes:

[Edit]
Ah, OK. I now see that common sense has already prevailed over on this other thread:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=9371&page=3

Spot on Granville!! This X1000

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Before I got to know Mark I would have agreed with you, in fact I experienced quite a bit of dissonance when we first met as I knew his role in Livestrong/PS. As I have come to know him, i believe he was just one of many who were sucked into promoting the myth. I do know that Wonderboy tried to get him to use his connections with McCain to try to get the federal investigation stopped and Mark refused and Mark was the one who had Pharmstrong removed from the Livestrong BOD.

Can't think of anyone else who has very publicly stepped forward to say they were part of promoting the myth and apologize ... P&P? Bob Roll? Jenkins? Not so much.

Maybe there is an agenda, but IMHO there is not. YMMV.
l

Muzzin said:
Before I got to know Mark I would have agreed with you, in fact I experienced quite a bit of dissonance when we first met as I knew his role in Livestrong/PS. As I have come to know him, i believe he was just one of many who were sucked into promoting the myth. I do know that Wonderboy tried to get him to use his connections with McCain to try to get the federal investigation stopped and Mark refused and Mark was the one who had Pharmstrong removed from the Livestrong BOD.

Can't think of anyone else who has very publicly stepped forward to say they were part of promoting the myth and apologize ... P&P? Bob Roll? Jenkins? Not so much.

l

This is all you needed to say to prove to me that he's not such a "stand up guy", as "Stand up guys" don't do that to others. Your friend isn't stupid, he knew exactly what he was doing when he dealt with Wonderboy and his actions following. Please save the "he had no idea, gosh golly what he was doing then" rhetoric for others, I don't believe it, I also don't believe he did this. He couldn't have been that stupid/naive to think that when he was doing that with/for Wonderboy, that there wasn't a reason behind it? Your friends not that block headed is he? if he did that, why wait til now to say something, why not then? Why not come to Greg's side and say "Wonderboy is a doper, and had me to try to do this, this, and this for him? he didn't do that did he? His cheap, contrived, and unbelievable 'apology" is laughable to say the least, IMO anyways. All this is is a face saving tactic to try to make himself look good. Why not give all the money back he's made off Wonderboy?

Also, IIRC isn't he the dude who just claimed a little ways back that he'd "welcome back Wonderboy to the LSF", or am I thinking of someone else?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Muzzin said:

l

Don't know if you really know the dude, but if true, thanks for adding a layer of intrigue to a discussion that has been ongoing here for quite some time. But anyone can be anyone else they like in the world of intertubes.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
Also, IIRC isn't he the dude who just claimed a little ways back that he'd "welcome back Wonderboy to the LSF", or am I thinking of someone else?

I believe you are thinking of Doug Ullman, president of Livestrong.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Muzzin said:

l

I have talked to several folks who know Mark and have talked to him in detail about this. They also say he was clueless about lance, star struck.......but is it hard to play down his role in the smearing of Greg and others. Mark was a savvy PR pro. He amplified Lance's vindictiveness 1000 fold and helped mold the message. He even helped write Trek's Powerpoint for their lawsuit.

Have to laugh at lance's response

https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/494848695549321216

Race Radio said:
...Have to laugh at lance's response...

sociopathic Lance just cannot keep his trap shut, has to seek revenge on and destroy all betrayal. In his broken mind its "you're eiother with me or against me" and sooner or later paranoia determines everyone is against him. He reminds me of.....

thumb_zpsf6718e18.jpg

sittingbison said:
sociopathic Lance just cannot keep his trap shut, has to seek revenge on and destroy all betrayal. In his broken mind its "you're eiother with me or against me" and sooner or later paranoia determines everyone is against him. He reminds me of.....

thumb_zpsf6718e18.jpg

To be fair, it strikes me that tweet by Lance is probably fair comment (and funny too), and mirrors what a lot of posters here have just spent the last few pages saying about the sincerity of the apology.

It's a bit of a depressing discussion really - I have no insight into his sincerity or lack there of, but he's obviously generally a smart, successful guy who was either: cynically helping destroy someone for his own interests, and now it's gone bad is playing the faux sorry card; or dumb and gullible enough to get 'star struck' and played hard by big bad Lance and his buddies (who let's face were hiding in plain site in terms of their approach), and then take a year or more to bother saying sorry once he 'found out'.

I'd guess the former explanation is more likely, but in any case it hardly covers the guy in glory.

Muzzin said:

l

This is a valid point. He didn't even do the "I was tricked!!" apology. And, BTW, thank you for adding to the political conspiracies that fueled this thread for a long while. This is how government business is done in the U.S. It's who you know.

I'm not surprised someone is not aware of Lemond's accomplishments. The pre-Internet history of cycling is not easy to track. Even though he's old enough, at the time of Lemond's accomplishments, bikes were still mostly for kids in the U.S.

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
The fact that LA appears to have disapproved of the apology makes me love it, no matter the sincerity or lack thereof. Anything that ****es LA off or makes him squirm I am instantly a fan of.

Energy Starr said:
The fact that LA appears to have disapproved of the apology makes me love it, no matter the sincerity or lack thereof. Anything that ****es LA off or makes him squirm I am instantly a fan of.

Doesn't make Lance squirm. Just feeds his belief that nobody is a real friend and life's just a matter of dog eat dog. When Lance was up his 'friends' gushed with love. Now that he's down, those friends aren't around anymore. And that's how it's always going to be with Lance, because Lance likes it that way.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
jam pants said:

That link should work.

If Armstrong doesn't dope, doesn't lie about it and follows the rules by the book, he probably doesn't win a single Tour de France, he never becomes a national figure, his foundation never raises enough money to make an impact in the fight against cancer.

I prefer the world where Armstrong and my father are liars and thieves to the alternate universe where they follow elementary school ethics.

Words to live by. :rolleyes:

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to ask Feldman this hypothetical question. Suppose there's a cyclist who's a cancer survivor/activist and who refuses to use PEDs. Suppose she gets beat by inferior cyclists who are doped to the gills. Would you still, in principle, be OK with cheating?

I have started reading Emma Oreillys book and I have to say, I feel wound up whilst reading it.

She keeps saying she is a clean swanny, yet her actions to me, say a lot different to me.

Turning a blind eye IMO is not helping the situation and "its what they needed to do" Also transporting the dope and getting rid of syringes etc also says she is anything but different. Just because she was ignorant as to their contents.

What is scary however is the similarities to Team Sky. The 'no stone unturned' the PR, The sudden rise in performances etc.

Scary ****.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MartinGT said:
I have started reading Emma Oreillys book and I have to say, I feel wound up whilst reading it.

She keeps saying she is a clean swanny, yet her actions to me, say a lot different to me.

Turning a blind eye IMO is not helping the situation and "its what they needed to do" Also transporting the dope and getting rid of syringes etc also says she is anything but different. Just because she was ignorant as to their contents.

What is scary however is the similarities to Team Sky. The 'no stone unturned' the PR, The sudden rise in performances etc.

Scary ****.

Emma carried dope over the border for Armstrong. That is not clean. She also provided make-up to cover needle marks, that is enabling, again not clean.

Methinks Armstrong had a hand in her rethinking her career as a 'swanny'.

I hate how all these celebs think they need to have foundations named after them for some niche goal. If they have too much cash sloshing around, donate it to some charity you believe in or waste your cash like proper superrich people do.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Lance is re-launching the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Will focus on research this time.....instead of parties and selling Nike

Is Armstrong trying to put monies he has left into something the feds cant touch?

Alternatively setting up a future income earner.....

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Is Armstrong trying to put monies he has left into something the feds cant touch?

Alternatively setting up a future income earner.....

Nope, he's just decided to take his ball and set up a new foundation. I'm guessing he'll get asked to leave the Lance Armstrong Foundation in late 2021.

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Nope, he's just decided to take his ball and set up a new foundation. I'm guessing he'll get asked to leave the Lance Armstrong Foundation in late 2021.

Unfathomable to me that he could get anyone to work there, donate to it, fund raise, acknowledge the existence of.......just wow. I guess we'll see how far it flies. Society has never ceased to amaze me before.