• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 532 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

hektoren said:
[It's just a figure of speech that the rest of us understand. Please try to not have a stroke. We all know what Wonderboy is, enjoy the spectacle!

He still manages to raise my bloodpressure. I just wish he'd gently fade away as the liar, bully, cheat and overall worst publicity anybody has ever been able to produce for a sport they profess to love. He clearly has some psychopathic overtones to him, megalomania, an ego the size of Dulles airport, and very little empathy with the roadkill he left behind.[/quote]

Lol! No strokes here. And I agree, he still gets me riled up with some.of the nonsense that comes out of his hole.

Ironhead Slim said:
86TDFWinner said:
42x16ss said:
86TDFWinner said:
Night Rider said:
At least he has a sense of humor still. Had a quick look at his twitter and this gem in response to Mapei and Trek teaming up.

https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/672471179140055040

I got what you were trying to say NR :D , I just don't believe anything out of Wonderboys maw.

He STILL refuses to take accountability for what he's done. He's still as delusional and CLUELESS as ever. Yes he's funny in a sense that he's still a punchline & a joke.
I agree that Armstrong is a joke, but he's right about some things. If there is a replacement wonder drug for EPO you can guarantee most of the peloton will be on it. Of course there will be some Bassons types that won't get involved but history has proven they're very much the minority every time.

As for Armstrong's opinion of the Trek/Mapei merger:

Mapei3_big-vi.jpg

Pretty good summary of how the UCI and media will react IMO

However, he DID NOT SAY: Many, most, some, etc., he said EVERY RIDER, which implies EVERY SINGLE RIDER would've doped or still be DOPING and we know that's just not correct(as examples of clean riders have been mentioned). He's lying again.

Just like: Nike/Trek and Jokely "had no.idea he was DOPING".

He's bitter and upset and mad that he got busted for living his fraud and lie lifestyle for so long. I believe NOTHING out of his mouth, not 1. If others choose to, more power to them.

It's just a figure of speech that the rest of us understand. Please try to not have a stroke. We all know what Wonderboy is, enjoy the spectacle!
That's it. IMO it was a thinly veiled swipe at whatever the current magic sauce is that Froome, Nibali, Contador, Aru, Wigans (in 2012 at least) etc etc are going bonkers with that lets them get so darn skinny and still put out so much power.

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

86TDFWinner said:
hektoren said:
[It's just a figure of speech that the rest of us understand. Please try to not have a stroke. We all know what Wonderboy is, enjoy the spectacle!

He still manages to raise my bloodpressure. I just wish he'd gently fade away as the liar, bully, cheat and overall worst publicity anybody has ever been able to produce for a sport they profess to love. He clearly has some psychopathic overtones to him, megalomania, an ego the size of Dulles airport, and very little empathy with the roadkill he left behind.

Lol! No strokes here. And I agree, he still gets me riled up with some.of the nonsense that comes out of his hole.[/quote]

Well, now he admits he was mean, so all better! lol

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-admits-mistreating-others-was-a-big-mistake/

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

That's it. IMO it was a thinly veiled swipe at whatever the current magic sauce is that Froome, Nibali, Contador, Aru, Wigans (in 2012 at least) etc etc are going bonkers with that lets them get so darn skinny and still put out so much power.[/quote]

And he is going to be correct and yet still push the bar of hypocrisy to a whole 'nother level.

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

86TDFWinner said:
He still manages to raise my bloodpressure. I just wish he'd gently fade away as the liar, bully, cheat and overall worst publicity anybody has ever been able to produce for a sport they profess to love. He clearly has some psychopathic overtones to him, megalomania, an ego the size of Dulles airport, and very little empathy with the roadkill he left behind.

Lol! No strokes here. And I agree, he still gets me riled up with some.of the nonsense that comes out of his hole.[/quote]

Seriously, for me his legacy in the US is even less respect on the road from cage drivers. It is anecdotal but it seems like more close calls that are purposeful. And that pisses me off. Lance really is the prince of douch/bags but his antics are comical in a clinic vacuum.

42x16ss said:
That's it. IMO it was a thinly veiled swipe at whatever the current magic sauce is that Froome, Nibali, Contador, Aru, Wigans (in 2012 at least) etc etc are going bonkers with that lets them get so darn skinny and still put out so much power.

That's the root of the problem with Armstrong. His myopic view is limited to the riders achieving top results, who are most likely all on the program, but it would never occur to and he would never accept in a million years that there may be one or more riders a little bit further down the results list who were clean, and would have kicked his ass on a level and natural playing field. On the contrary, in his mind he's always the winner so long as it's a level playing field, whatever basis that field may be on.

Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
42x16ss said:

That's the root of the problem with Armstrong. His myopic view is limited to the riders achieving top results, who are most likely all on the program, but it would never occur to and he would never accept in a million years that there may be one or more riders a little bit further down the results list who were clean, and would have kicked his ass on a level and natural playing field. On the contrary, in his mind he's always the winner so long as it's a level playing field, whatever basis that field may be on.

Lance is damn stupid. His response to challenge and threat is always the same: aggression. When he meets a foe that he cannot steamroll, he invariably founders. His big mistake was becoming the boss.

Lance has to be extremely fearful at this point. He has very little bargaining leverage because he could VERY easily lose at summary judgment. And his lawyers must be hoovering money like crazy.

This is pretty enjoyable, actually.

Whatever people think of landis and I know full well what guys like Mark think of him, surely even he would concede that it was a monumental f*** up by lance to underestimate Floyd. He knew what Floyd was like. He raced with and against him. Crazy stuff. Fact of the matter is that, even if we give walsh, betsy et al the world of credit for their work, there is no way lance would have been brought down without Floyd. They had thrown what they could, it was over. He had come through it fairly unscathed. I can only imagine lance thought nobody would take Floyd seriously when he went nuclear. But that goes back to my original point - he should have known that Floyd is an intelligent guy. Despite what some think, that Floyd messes around making it up as he goes along, Floyd has shown to be someone who thinks very carefully about his actions.

Floyd was smart. He recognized the potential of the False Claims Act--and started talking to the feds as his own (much lesser) risk for criminal prosecution faded due to the statute of limitations. Without Floyd, Lance's downfall never could have happened.

Floyd's lawyers also did an awesome job getting the federal government interested. Without the sworn testimony gathered in the course of the federal criminal investigation, Floyd would have been just another Emma O'Reilly. That sworn testimony put a spine in WADA's action, gave SCA a new lease on life, and immeasurably strengthened the US's civil case. Floyd was no longer just a lying doper. He was one of a crowd of lying dopers (and others). Lance was never going to stand out from that dirty crowd as a clean athlete. Now he faces ruin.

The big lesson for me in all of this is that pro domestiques are treated like crap. Maybe it has something to do with the subservience of the domestique job, the fetishism about pain, or the obsessive concern with weight. It seems that pro cycling attracts submissive people who put up with an boatload of awful behavior by the people around them for very, very little money.

In a decent world, the domestiques on a corrupt cycling team would hold the keys to the kingdom (like Floyd did, and does), but in pro cycling they are just submissive cogs in a corrupt little sideshow.

Lance made the corrupt little sideshow a big top show for awhile, but he retained all the abusive accoutrements of the pro peloton. Lance was also way too greedy. A little enlightened management and Lance would be out there today drinking champagne and flying around in his private jet bringing cancer awareness to us all. But hey, that's the way it goes with crooked scumbags.

42x16ss said:
I agree that Armstrong is a joke, but he's right about some things. If there is a replacement wonder drug for EPO you can guarantee most of the peloton will be on it....
But the larger point, IMHO, is that the chief reason Pharmstrong is right stems from his own refusal to be forthcoming, and in the process denying cycling its best chance at cleaning up the sport. There was no point the sport committing regicide unless they were certain they could replace the murdered king with something better. Despite his excommunication, I have no doubt he remains in contact with the movers and the shakers in the doping community because that is one of the few circles in which he still is revered. Much the same as any criminal syndicate sings the praises of one of their own who "takes the rap" without grousing. I feel certain he could have (and probably still can) provided USADA/WADA investigators with names and details and methods to give them a running start at sweeping out the rubbish.

If he had been well and truly penitent, these are things he could have and would have done for the benefit of the sport. What he chooses to do instead is consistent with the behaviour of someone who established a world-famous charity more for his own aggrandizement than for the benefit of the charity's donees.

Say what you will about them, FLandis and Tyler Hamilton have done far more to promote the future health of the sport than His Lanceness in exile has.

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Re:

MarkvW said:
Pro cycling has never been healthy. Health would require a radical transformation. All we get from the dopers is a periodic snapshot of the filth.

You can say that about any sport. Cycling gets a skewed rap about the prevalence of PEDs IMO because it is doing more, regardless of how ineffective and corrupt we all think it is, than other sports.

You sure are down on the sport. Did you ever race or do you ride recreationally?

Spawn of e said:
MarkvW said:
Pro cycling has never been healthy. Health would require a radical transformation. All we get from the dopers is a periodic snapshot of the filth.

You can say that about any sport. Cycling gets a skewed rap about the prevalence of PEDs IMO because it is doing more, regardless of how ineffective and corrupt we all think it is, than other sports.

You sure are down on the sport. Did you ever race or do you ride recreationally?

I commute by bike, tour frequently, and ride often for fun. I like following the "sport" of professional cycling like other people like following the mafia. It's not just the PEDs, either! The Kolobnev-Vinokourov business was enthralling, as well. And the fun little games that McDruggen played!

Armstrong is the UCI, embodied in a human being!

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Spawn of e said:
MarkvW said:

Why make it personal?

The history of the sport is littered with PED abuse. It has always been the whipping boy for PED sport news. But it is a deserved reputation earned from day 1.

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Spawn of e said:
MarkvW said:

Why make it personal?

The history of the sport is littered with PED abuse. It has always been the whipping boy for PED sport news. But it is a deserved reputation earned from day 1.

Didn't mean to make it personal, just wanted some background.

Agreed on the history of the sport. It is not a deserved reputation over other sports IMO. It is just one of many. Do you think any other sport would take down it's biggest stars like cycling has, albeit flawed and not nearly enough? In recent history, Simoni (though exonerated), Garzelli, LA, FL, AC, Heras, the list goes on. What other sport has done this?

StyrbjornSterki said:
42x16ss said:
I agree that Armstrong is a joke, but he's right about some things. If there is a replacement wonder drug for EPO you can guarantee most of the peloton will be on it....
But the larger point, IMHO, is that the chief reason Pharmstrong is right stems from his own refusal to be forthcoming, and in the process denying cycling its best chance at cleaning up the sport. There was no point the sport committing regicide unless they were certain they could replace the murdered king with something better. Despite his excommunication, I have no doubt he remains in contact with the movers and the shakers in the doping community because that is one of the few circles in which he still is revered. Much the same as any criminal syndicate sings the praises of one of their own who "takes the rap" without grousing. I feel certain he could have (and probably still can) provided USADA/WADA investigators with names and details and methods to give them a running start at sweeping out the rubbish.

If he had been well and truly penitent, these are things he could have and would have done for the benefit of the sport. What he chooses to do instead is consistent with the behaviour of someone who established a world-famous charity more for his own aggrandizement than for the benefit of the charity's donees.

Say what you will about them, FLandis and Tyler Hamilton have done far more to promote the future health of the sport than His Lanceness in exile has.
While I agree with everything that you wrote, are you certain that the UCI, WADA, USADA etc really want Armstrong to open up and give 100% of the dirt? I doubt that sports administration could handle it, especially if he were to sidestep the various administrations and go direct to the media.

And we all know that the overriding response from many will accusations of jealousy and sour grapes. The likes of the McQuaids, Hincapie, Vaughters, Leipheimer, Hesjedal, VV, Barry, Horner, Contador, Phil & Paul, Trek, Nike, Oakley, Verbruggen, Weisel, Carmichael, Yates, Ochowicz etc etc still have a LOT to lose regarding their involvements with Lance/USPS/Disco/Astana.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Styrbjorn Sterki you are wrong. Without Armstrong the PED culture exists. See: Festina. But Festina were one among equals. They all still do it.

The problem with epo and blood vector drugs and techniques, if you are not on it, you can hardly ride for a second contract in the professional peloton in Europe. That is why everyone is on it. Because it is such a barrier to entry, it precludes the clean riders impressing enough to hang around long, if they even get a ride.

Re:

Digger said:
...there is no way lance would have been brought down without Floyd. They had thrown what they could, it was over. He had come through it fairly unscathed.

Floyd beat the UCI and Wiesel/Armstrong. It's hard to know which part was luck and which part was smarts. No doubt the guy can put together more than one good idea, some bad ones too.

I disagree that he's come out of it unscathed. Divorced, dishonored as "that guy who cheated riding bikes" and perhaps not particularly wealthy. To be clear, I don't trust his claims. As soon as he started telling the truth, the truth corroborated with other facts. That's about it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
Digger said:
...there is no way lance would have been brought down without Floyd. They had thrown what they could, it was over. He had come through it fairly unscathed.

Floyd beat the UCI and Wiesel/Armstrong. It's hard to know which part was luck and which part was smarts. No doubt the guy can put together more than one good idea, some bad ones too.

I disagree that he's come out of it unscathed. Divorced, dishonored as "that guy who cheated riding bikes" and perhaps not particularly wealthy. To be clear, I don't trust his claims. As soon as he started telling the truth, the truth corroborated with other facts. That's about it.

the prefix, or qualifier/adjective du jour is disgraced. disgraced Lloyd Flandis. but this mantle moved across and is now a yoke Prance gotta carry

Quietly killing myself at work right now by listening to Lance. I don't have much of an opinion on Joe Rogan - I think occasionally he speaks some sense, which for me is a compliment - but this is sounding like the saddest, most softball-esque interview you could imagine. I'll last another couple of minutes before I give up.

TRENDING THREADS