• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

For the most part I found his Move tour podcasts enjoyable and insightful, especially when Hincapie was part of the discussion. Armstrong comes off has pretty much an unbiased observer with some interesting ideas most of the time.

But then, in small doses and on rare occasions, he just can't seem to resist the urge to go off on someone or other from his riding days. People for whom he still carries tremendous resentment. His attacks on Vaughters and Contador, in particular, seemed absurdly petty and full of vitriol. While I like that he shares strong opinions etc... I thought the very aggressive attacks on those two were very off-putting, out-of-line and offered nothing to the show.

I listened (napped through, actually) the Freakonomics podcast with Lance. Did glean this little gem: Lance invested early on in Docu-sign and Uber. We can offically call of the telethon fund raiser for him.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

eleven said:
For the most part I found his Move tour podcasts enjoyable and insightful, especially when Hincapie was part of the discussion. Armstrong comes off has pretty much an unbiased observer with some interesting ideas most of the time.

But then, in small doses and on rare occasions, he just can't seem to resist the urge to go off on someone or other from his riding days. People for whom he still carries tremendous resentment. His attacks on Vaughters and Contador, in particular, seemed absurdly petty and full of vitriol. While I like that he shares strong opinions etc... I thought the very aggressive attacks on those two were very off-putting, out-of-line and offered nothing to the show.
I don't think Lance has ever done much more than, say, Contador or Froome (except being sometimes a a**hole like with Simeoni). It must therefore be very annoying for him to see El Pistolero going around the Tour when:
-he was on Fuentes list
-he has actually being doping sanctioned during activity

Re: Re:

franic said:
Bosco10 said:
Barney said:
Puckfiend said:
A few things I have learned watching Lance's Tour podcast:

He thinks Brailsford needs to stay in the Sky bus and STFU. He hates the top tube downhill position adopted by some of the peloton. He thanks Hinault is a crabby ol' bast*rd, and needs to join Brailsford on the Sky bus and STFU. Then the funniest one: he was seriously pissed that the USPS had an ad on yesterday's NBCSports coverage of stage 5. He laughed it off and said that the ad was paid for by himself.

Now that my anger has completely died Im starting to really enjoy Lance 2.0 (or whatever iteration he is up to)
“Time is a great thickener of things.”
He's actually quite entertaining. I guess most of the people have a natural tendency to be empathic with losers and he has been a big loser since the confession. I guess one day we will accept Froomey as well.

I think you're right about empathy -- I wonder how LA would be viewed if he'd never been busted but was trailed by a lot of suspicion. I suspect he'd be much less in demand. Maybe that's why Virenque is embraced in France now despite Festina.

Froome should win one more Tour, then confess all in preparation for a happy retirement...

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Bolder said:
franic said:
Bosco10 said:
Barney said:
Puckfiend said:
A few things I have learned watching Lance's Tour podcast:

He thinks Brailsford needs to stay in the Sky bus and STFU. He hates the top tube downhill position adopted by some of the peloton. He thanks Hinault is a crabby ol' bast*rd, and needs to join Brailsford on the Sky bus and STFU. Then the funniest one: he was seriously pissed that the USPS had an ad on yesterday's NBCSports coverage of stage 5. He laughed it off and said that the ad was paid for by himself.

Now that my anger has completely died Im starting to really enjoy Lance 2.0 (or whatever iteration he is up to)
“Time is a great thickener of things.”
He's actually quite entertaining. I guess most of the people have a natural tendency to be empathic with losers and he has been a big loser since the confession. I guess one day we will accept Froomey as well.

I think you're right about empathy -- I wonder how LA would be viewed if he'd never been busted but was trailed by a lot of suspicion. I suspect he'd be much less in demand. Maybe that's why Virenque is embraced in France now despite Festina.

Froome should win one more Tour, then confess all in preparation for a happy retirement...
He should indeed, maybe fu**ing up Wiggo and G on the way. Bjarne Riis had a nice few years after the confession in 2007.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

franic said:
eleven said:

I don't think Lance has ever done much more than, say, Contador or Froome (except being sometimes a a**hole like with Simeoni). It must therefore be very annoying for him to see El Pistolero going around the Tour when:
-he was on Fuentes list
-he has actually being doping sanctioned during activity

No doubt you're right. And while I could understand him holding those views I don't think it benefits his audience or show to express such personal vitriol. If I was, for example, NBC Sports and thinking of bringing him into the fold, those comments would be a big turn off. And don't think for a minute that NBC doesn't see his podcast numbers and want to bring him in.

The idea is to create an entertaining broadcast to generate revenue.
if it was one person (LA), it would be a rant. So that why there is a host to steer the topics and a counterpoint in Hincapie, the only person from whom LA will probably take criticism. With the other guys there, he can rant as much as he wants while the other guys laugh. So it becomes entertainment/sensational and not weird. The show is pretty much filtered with no negative questions/comments and also nothing on doping. Throw in some French bashing and bring in some kids and some cycling related guys and it gives the Aura of redemption for LA and appeal to the American public especially local public in Texas/Colorado. First state then the country and finally the world.
He is still as unapologetic as ever especially when he dissed G's time on Alpe to Pantani/himself without mentioning doping.

I didn't get the impression that he was "dissing" G's time up the alpe. He plainly stated that his was just a time trial starting at the bottom of the mountain while G's time was at the end of a stage. He did say that Thomas, Froome, Dumolin and Bardet (was it Bardet? I can't remember) were soft pedaling there at the end.

Linked (with thanks to OP Basecase) as relevant here as well...

From: Official "another interesting piece I found on Floyd Landis" Thread

Paul Kimmage talks to Floyd Landis - He won the Tour de France, then lost it for doping, and it almost cost him his life

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2297982#p2297982

July 30th, 2018, 1:00 am

From Sunday Independent

https://m.independent.ie/sport/othe...and-it-almost-cost-him-his-life-37164135.html

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
TubularBills said:
That is very interesting find. Shows that, in 2009, collectors were willing to overlook any suspicions about Armstrong and Livestrong Foundation
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/armstrongs-damien-hirst-bike-fetches-half-million-65240
Bono, the lead singer of Irish band U2, had approached Hirst to create the bike for Armstrong
Bono, of all people? One of the least-athletic celebrities circa 2009, so I would not have guessed there is any association between them. I had no idea that this butterfly bike ever existed.

A lot of the prices realized in that list has to do with: the sale being a charity fundraiser for Livestrong, and with the trendiness of artists like Damien Hirst, Yoshimoto Nara, KAWS. These bikes were bad investments, and have to be seen as a give-away to the 'charity' for unique artworks, not sports memorabilia per se

How about what purists would call 'real' cycling memorabilia, sold at 'real auctions', what was the highest price ever paid at auction for historic bikes, jerseys, etc. ???
Probably not very much for the clothing, if a Merckx yellow jersey sold for £4,200
http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/eddy-merckx-jersey-sells-for-4200-at-auction/
Historic bikes might be worth a lot

Some additional links for the curious regarding valuations:

http://www.copakeauction.com/auction/27th-annual-bicycle-auction-2018-04-21/

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-o-z.html

May 21, 2010
Visit site

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Armstrong face-plants while setting some Strava KOM records, goes to the hospital
https://patch.com/colorado/across-co/lance-armstrong-busts-face-co-bike-crash-laughs-it

This is considered newsworthy in local-media sites, and even other sites unrelated to cycling. Saw this article by accident as a link in the margin features, while reading about the California wildfires news
So Lance is still hanging around, seeking relevance and attention, having some success with the latter part

Thanks for that. I saw the article but I didn't click the link. That's pretty sad that he's posting KOM times on Strava.

Face Plants are unfortunate, but a reality of the sport.

Also clavicle fractures (collar bone) ... Sport is (usually) a risk.

We have all broken at least one.

(I've broken 1 once and the other twice.)

What risks did Lance embrace?

Which did he supercede?

Hm...

Sympathy?

Food for thought.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Armstrong face-plants while setting some Strava KOM records, goes to the hospital
https://patch.com/colorado/across-co/lance-armstrong-busts-face-co-bike-crash-laughs-it

This is considered newsworthy in local-media sites, and even other sites unrelated to cycling. Saw this article by accident as a link in the margin features, while reading about the California wildfires news
So Lance is still hanging around, seeking relevance and attention, having some success with the latter part

C’mon, CL. You can loathe Lance if you want, but what’s with the silliness in implying that Lance is not relevant in pro cycling. You’re trying to fit a twin fitted sheet on a king mattress, brutha.

How about what purists would call 'real' cycling memorabilia, sold at 'real auctions', what was the highest price ever paid at auction for historic bikes, jerseys, etc. ???
Probably not very much for the clothing, if a Merckx yellow jersey sold for £4,200

Wonder how much LeMond stuff would fetch if he ever decided to sell any of his historic stuff? Those yellow jerseys and prototype Look bikes, I'm sure would fetch a nice sum of cash.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
I guess Bruyneel is not coming back to the USA and doesn't have any US assets to be seized, so they would have to pursue him in Europe
They can't, most reports say. He just has to avoid having any US assets. Or visiting Texas.

Remember when he wanted to become an thought leader for businesses, selling the story of his successes as lessons for management on teh US lecture circuit? Such innocent days.

86TDFWinner said:

Wonder how much LeMond stuff would fetch if he ever decided to sell any of his historic stuff? Those yellow jerseys and prototype Look bikes, I'm sure would fetch a nice sum of cash.
Four grand's not a bad price when you consider a) he spent something like ten days in yellow in 1975 (that's a lot of jerseys) and b) he had what was it, ninety-something days in yellow throughout his career (that's an awful lot of jerseys)?

LA's Damien Hirst 'butterfly bike' sold at auction for a cool half a mil... Another of his bikes in the same auction approached a quarter of a million. Several other bikes he owned sold for north of a hundred thousand dollars.

fmk_RoI said:
86TDFWinner said:

Four grand's not a bad price when you consider a) he spent something like ten days in yellow in 1975 (that's a lot of jerseys) and b) he had what was it, ninety-something days in yellow throughout his career (that's an awful lot of jerseys)?

LA's Damien Hirst 'butterfly bike' sold at auction for a cool half a mil... Another of his bikes in the same auction approached a quarter of a million. Several other bikes he owned sold for north of a hundred thousand dollars.

I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.

86TDFWinner said:
fmk_RoI said:
86TDFWinner said:

I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.

seven

I'd imagine Obree's Old Faithful would fetch quite a decent amount of money. Arguably the most unique famous bike in all of cycling, and has a lot of historical significance.

That orange thing Merckx rode the hour record on is probably worth quite a lot.

Alpe73 said:
86TDFWinner said:
fmk_RoI said:
86TDFWinner said:

seven

Not any more.... :lol:

TRENDING THREADS