• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Paris-Roubaix

180px-Trouee_dArenberg_-_Paris-Roubaix_2008.jpg

I'll just leave this here.

Also, my pick:

Boonen ftw

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'd love to see Chavanel build on his good form and do well here but think he's better suited to the Ardennes Classics.

Don't actually care who wins, just love the hell that is a (hopefully) classic P-R. The Flanders Classics are surely the greatest week of racing in the cycling calendar - the history and the parcours are truly HC

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Aaaaaaaaaaah.....That brings back memories.

I'd put my odds on a Quick Step rider. Hard to deny a Lefevere managed team this time of year, ya know. They might even go for top three in a deja vu thingy like how they used to with Mapei. They sure do have the talent to do it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I do now know SBS are showing the race in Australia! lol Finally....better late than never!!!! If Stuey was racing I would give him a chance....:(

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I thought Stueys win was one of the best, a classic of classics. I'm not even Australian and I was truly moved. Just pure heart an soul and him crying at the end showed that it was not just another race. I hope he gets another chance to win it.

Ballan is my choice, he has just been too quite all season. I also will be hoping to see Hincapie win but not sure if he still has it or not but another guy that deserves it for sure.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Ballan won't ride Paris-Roubaix, as he is still recovering from the consequences of the cytomegalovirus. ;)

My bet's on Boonen. He's got the same form as last year - if not even better - and there's considerably less competition with the absence of Ballan, Cancellara, O'Grady and Hushovd's wrist injury. And seeing he has by far the strongest team around him, only bad luck can keep him from his third win imo. I think the biggest contenders will be Devolder, Flecha, Hincapie, Hoste and perhaps Pozzato if he really puts his mind to it.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Dang I thought I had heard that Ballan was 50/50 for the PR, the curse continues I guess.

I agree Boonen is the fav but what fun is it picking him? Heinrich Haussler is my next pick I guess.

msjett said:
I do now know SBS are showing the race in Australia! lol Finally....better late than never!!!! If Stuey was racing I would give him a chance....:(

Last year in the US (on Versus) the coverage was delayed for a week. So when I turned on the TV expecting Roubaix, I got...

...amateur women's kick-boxing.

They showed a rerun of the race a week later.

:confused:

A

Anonymous

heart says big george, but hes not looked in top form in flanders, or gent, unless he was sandbagging with a view to sunday...

head... Boonen or Devolder

some very strange odds around though... :/
http://i44.tinypic.com/2rmt5iq.jpg
cavvy at 16-1... who dreams up these things...

dimspace said:
heart says big george, but hes not looked in top form in flanders, or gent, unless he was sandbagging with a view to sunday...

head... Boonen or Devolder

some very strange odds around though... :/
http://i44.tinypic.com/2rmt5iq.jpg
cavvy at 16-1... who dreams up these things...

I actually thought that George looked in good form at Gent. He was in the front group and constantly covered moves for EBH after he went away. Not that I think he'll win Sunday...

A

Anonymous

jaylew said:
I actually thought that George looked in good form at Gent. He was in the front group and constantly covered moves for EBH after he went away. Not that I think he'll win Sunday...

fair do'es.. was watching it on a very dodgy belgian stream that you could barely make out (and rain didnt help)...

praying for rain on sunday.. anyone know the weather forecast yet?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Compiegne -
Saturday Hi: 18°Lo: 12°30% Chance Rain Shower
Sunday Hi: 17°Lo: 12°Mostly Cloudy

Roubaix -
Saturday Hi: 18°Lo: 12°30% Chance of Storms
Sunday Hi: 18°Lo: 12°Partly Cloudy

Winds along the course coming from the ENE at 15km.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:

Didn't you have a TV for last years live coverage by SBS?

Should be a cracker of a race again, good chance for another one of quicksteps boys to slip away as the main guys all watch over Boonen and Devolder, who knows? it happened last night at GW.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Argon Man said:

Should be a cracker of a race again, good chance for another one of quicksteps boys to slip away as the main guys all watch over Boonen and Devolder, who knows? it happened last night at GW.

I don't buy that. QS will race PR with a very different attitude that they did in GW.
The main favourites: the guys that didn't race GW or did it low profile: Boonen, Devolder, Chavanel, Pozzato, Flecha, Maaskant, Hoste, Leukemans and hopefully Van Avermaet.

As for the Cervelo boys: they start to run out of gas.

Quick Step took yesterday off. They'll be all over the front of the race, come Sunday.
Them, Rabo, Lotto, Saxo and Columbia, maybe Cervelo, with the rest following.
Possible showers forcast is a bit disappointing. Same as last year and they didn't materialise. Saturday and Monday are wet.

You guys seem to have trouble watching the race.
Me? Only have 4 hours live.;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Argon Man said:

Oh I have a tv.....surround sound and all that, but as SBS don't seem to advertise the good stuff anywhere, I only found out cause they sent me an email this year! lol:p

Jasper said:
Ballan won't ride Paris-Roubaix, as he is still recovering from the consequences of the cytomegalovirus. ;)

My bet's on Boonen. He's got the same form as last year - if not even better - and there's considerably less competition with the absence of Ballan, Cancellara, O'Grady and Hushovd's wrist injury. And seeing he has by far the strongest team around him, only bad luck can keep him from his third win imo. I think the biggest contenders will be Devolder, Flecha, Hincapie, Hoste and perhaps Pozzato if he really puts his mind to it.

You forgot Maaskant.

TRENDING THREADS