• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Paris-Roubaix

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Interesting choices, but I think I'd swap Burghardt out for Pippo, Haussler, or maybe even Devolder.

I just don't think Columbia is strong enough to put two guys on the podium, and Burghardt is probably going to sacrifice for Hincapie now considering that he may well inherit the team for Spring in the next couple years. (Though Boasson Hagen might have something to say about that, too...)
Columbia was strong in Gent-Wevelgen, and in Paris Roubaix, teamwork is less important than in Flanders.

But i agree with Haussler and Devolder. Don't think this is a race for pozzato, he needs climbs.
Other names to look out for: Hoste, Maaskant, Flecha, Leukemans, and maybe Hushuvd

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Norwegians

Its so cool that we have 4 (all of our riders) in the Peleton.
Hushovd winner of Omloop Het N, Boasson Hagen winner of Ghent W, Arvesen of Saxo and Rasch helper in Cervelo.
My hopes for the day is Hincapie- next is Hushovd though the crash will put him back- however Boonen is the King and can(will) make it again if he avoids crashing and mechanical trouble, and sorts out whos Boss at Quickstep.
Devolder is Strong!
Finally it will be cool to see where Arvesen ends up if he passes the Arenberg which he didnt last year. It was cool to watch it last year live at Arenberg :)

GO BOONEN KICK SOME DUST :):):)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
my two cents:

Boonen
Devolder, Flecha, Hoste
Hushovd, Maaskant, Pozzato, Haussler, Hincapie, Cancellara
Leukemans, Burghardt, Langeveld, Quinziato, Franzoi, Klier, Van Impe, Chavanel, Tossato, Breschel, Van Avermaet, Hammond

BTW: Hi everyone, just discovered the cnforum today, hope it's gonna be fun discussing cycling with a more international panel (instead of just belgo-dutch)

A

Anonymous

still behind big george, but im having strange pyschic thoughts that tell he Roger H is gonna have his day in the sun.. not a win, but something noticable..

any rain yet.. :D

A

Anonymous

live.....

30km gone and already a breakaway.. :eek:

Stijn DEVOLDER (Quick-Step) , Kasper Klostergaard (Saxo), Angelo Furlan (C.Agricole), Steven Cozza (Garmin), Greg Henderson (Columbia), Yoann Offredo (Fd.Jeux), Wesley Sulzberger (Fd.Jeux), Joost Posthuma (Rabobank), Servais Knaven (Milram), Steve Chainel (Bouygues) en Andreas Klier (Cervelo)

30 seconds on the pack.. just stretching there legs...?

live text at http://www.sporza.be/cm/lmc/wielrennen/voorjaar/Comp_Parijs_Roubaix until cycling news kick in...

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
kremt

dimspace said:
live.....

30km gone and already a breakaway.. :eek:

Stijn DEVOLDER (Quick-Step) , Kasper Klostergaard (Saxo), Angelo Furlan (C.Agricole), Steven Cozza (Garmin), Greg Henderson (Columbia), Yoann Offredo (Fd.Jeux), Wesley Sulzberger (Fd.Jeux), Joost Posthuma (Rabobank), Servais Knaven (Milram), Steve Chainel (Bouygues) en Andreas Klier (Cervelo)

30 seconds on the pack.. just stretching there legs...?

live text at http://www.sporza.be/cm/lmc/wielrennen/voorjaar/Comp_Parijs_Roubaix until cycling news kick in...

DEVOLDER IS NOT DUMB, which means he is not in the commercial break!
;)

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I dont know why Hincapie is up there on peoples lists of favourites. He had a 2nd in 2005 and thats it.
Yes he's always been there around the top 10 but so have many others.
Ive got nothing against George, Id quite like it if he did win but I think he's just as average as the next guy. I think its more of a mental thing with him.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
beestrong said:
DEVOLDER IS NOT DUMB, which means he is not in the commercial break!
;)

He sure used to be :D

But actually, in Paris-Roubaix, it might be a good move to go with the early break. Often, some riders survive to battle with the favorites in the finale.
O'Grady even won that way

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
the pope said:
He sure used to be :D

But actually, in Paris-Roubaix, it might be a good move to go with the early break. Often, some riders survive to battle with the favorites in the finale.
O'Grady even won that way

well that was the case, however- boonen and devolder will stick together
and attack later- this will give trouble to other riders for who chase after:)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
In really enjoying O'Grady's win as well, I reckon that a Hincapie win would bring more pleasure. In racing against him when he was a young guy (aged 16) in 1990 in a race in Allenstown Pennsylvania, he soloed in during a rainstorm by over 3 minutes against a very strong Pro1-2 field. Already he was a boy amongst men.

Anyway, though he has a reputation of not being able to win the big one, so too did the Red Sox (and even Twins back when) in baseball, New Zealand in rugby league (won last year's World Cup against prohibitive favorites Australia) and England in everything (Ashes in 05 and rugby WC in 03). My money tonight is on George, the New Yorker with the Colombian blood.

And, I agree, that picture at the start of tonight's thread is simply fantastic and really sets a good mood for watching the CyclingNews and SBS coverage here in here in Australia. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

gap at 4.02.. :eek: hurry up eurosport.. :eek:

and seems the live feeds made a mistake having devolder in that break.. seemed a little odd... :D

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
YEP --- live on the box in Aussie in 10 mins
love to see a win for Big George if not an aussie
remember Haussler is a aussie if he podiums:)
GO -- GOSS(SAXO)
SUTTON(GARMIN)
SULZBERGER(FDJ) (Already in the early break)
HAYMAN(RABO)
DOCKER(SHIMANO)
LANCASTER(CERVELO)
AND THE KIWI HENDERSON(COLUMBIA)
Bring on the PAVE!!!

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes, Haussler is definitely an Aussie - he said so quite explicitly himself just recently. Something like "I feel more Australian than German."

The fact that he is willing to forego the World's etc - esp with his current form - to regain his Australian eligibility says it all, doesn't it?

A

Anonymous

so anyone in this group going to hold onto the inevitable railway train/baby 25 man pelaton that is going to form, catch them, and pass them in about 50k?

Posthuma ,Knaven and Klier for me might just have enough to hang onto a quickstep, columbia, cervelho train when it appears..

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
eurosport>
http://www.justin.tv/cosmonaute/
http://www.justin.tv/cosmonaute/popout

both streaming great on about 2 second delay

or marginally crisper here
http://www.freedocast.com/narkitu

cant find english commentary anywhere.... sure thats enough to keep those without it happy... im going back to the telly.. just using online for the damn commercials...

A

Anonymous

PR has now officially begun.. :) you gotta love them cobbles...