• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread - Stage 13 • Vittel - Colmar• 200 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Well, one obvious place to attack, from the back, is in that 5% section on Hairpin 2 at about 830 meters elevation. If you can get up a speed while still behind the group, right as they hit the bottom of the 9%, that should make for a very effective launch.

But who can build up enough of a gap in 3km of 9% climbing, even with that slight headstart, to hold them off on the 25k descent, and then up and over the next two climbs, and then the final 20k descent?

It's going to hurt, but not enough to create gaps among the GC contenders, I don't think.

Kirchen always does well on these last superpunchy climbs and he has a big engine, and he is from 'the north' so he likes rain ;). He is also around 3m down.

I am also guessing maube some of these russians, like efimkin could give it a go. Maybe Botcharov or Trussov in a break. Although tomorrow, I am not convinced yet that the break away will stay away. When moves are being made, the gaps will dwindle.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
This stage is tailor made for Kim Kirchen and Luis Leon Sanchez, have a feeling Pellizoti or Martinez might go in the break today as well, Franco looked very strong today.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Pellizotti has been purposefully losing time. Even on the flat stages he is giving up a minute or so, clearly putting no energy into staying with the pack. I expect that he'll continue to be strong.

As for the stage I think the one man that is being overlooked is Mick Rogers. From all reports he is feeling a lot better after his crash last week and he's the ideal man to put in a break - strong climber, can TT to the finish and none of the GC contenders could care less if he makes up some time.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Polka Dot Punter said:
As for the stage I think the one man that is being overlooked is Mick Rogers. From all reports he is feeling a lot better after his crash last week and he's the ideal man to put in a break - strong climber, can TT to the finish and none of the GC contenders could care less if he makes up some time.

i think Mick will be looking to save his energy for Cav. His been pretty crucial turning up the screws as Columbia build up for the finish, putting Hincapie, Renshaw and then Cav in a perfect position.
Mick winning this stage is not as important as Cav winning stages and staying in Green.

Polka Dot Punter said:
Pellizotti has been purposefully losing time. Even on the flat stages he is giving up a minute or so, clearly putting no energy into staying with the pack. I expect that he'll continue to be strong.

Didn't Rogers crash again yesterday?

If not then I agree, he will definitely go hunting for a stage in the next few days.

There has been rain overnight and there is still some rain in the area at the moment. This should clear in time for the race but the rain will be lingering in the east and as they head towards Colmar they could well run into this giving the risk of a few slippery descents towards the end.

Hopefully it'll be a nice attacking day and not one where everyone is happen to cycle along in a procession. Quite a lot of points on offer for the King of the Mountains hopefuls today as well.

Christophe Moreau has shortened quite significantly in most betting markets. I know he hasn't done anything of note for about two years but maybe the old man is going to have one last crack to get a TDF stage win (other than that Prologue that he won) before he retires. Surely he won't be back next year at 39yo.

I guess this stage would make sense to try and get in an escape, as he doesn't have it in him to compete in the high mountains.

Lance loses his number 1 lieutenant on a nothing stage. Is his lucky finally running out?
Surely, somebody will remember what happened to the Distana train, on the Col de la Schlucht, in 2005 and hit them hard?

There's a podium spot going spare. Come on Cuddles!

How many new threads will be started as a result of this?:rolleyes:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Lance loses his number 1 lieutenant on a nothing stage. Is his lucky finally running out?
Surely, somebody will remember what happened to the Distana train, on the Col de la Schlucht, in 2005 and hit them hard?

I predict 5 threads.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Menchev and Evans need to get back some of the time time they have lost: Cadel is in great form and wants to attack, so he'll probably give it a go; but Denny seems to be all out of sorts, you know, disconnected somehow. Still, he needs to give an all out effort to gain time, even if it costs him his chances of finishing. I hope no one resorts to chemistry in order to find help, as the Tour has seemed very clean so far, with no Superman performances.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

Everyones luck runs out at some point....

But Levis' unfortunate accident, did make me think of that old chestnut - "The bigger they are, the harder they fall".

As for the threads....I am thinking quite a few...unfortunately...:rolleyes:

May 14, 2009
Visit site
At the moment there is 40km/h of SW wind on the top of mountains according to that Vosges paragliding website. That could make the flat section following Platzerwasel a bit difficult but will ease the rest of the stage especially the arrival in Colmar with a good backwind.