• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: Stage 17 Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Le Grand-Bornand

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Time to discuss the queen stage and the impending fireworks...

stage17profile_220.jpg

stage17map_220.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cormet de Roselend (18 km at 6.1 percent)
Col des Saisies (15.1 km at 6 percent)
Côte d'Arâches (6.3 km at 7 percent)
Col de Romme (8.8 km at 8.9 percent)
Col de la Colombière (7.5 km at 8.5 percent).

benpounder said:
Cormet de Roselend (18 km at 6.1 percent)
Col des Saisies (15.1 km at 6 percent)
Côte d'Arâches (6.3 km at 7 percent)
Col de Romme (8.8 km at 8.9 percent)
Col de la Colombière (7.5 km at 8.5 percent).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the attacks will start mid-way up the Col de Romme. There's a descent after it peaks, but not much of one. Should be fun. Everyone is tired, so it is going to come down to who wants it more. Alberto better make sure he eats. ;)

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
If GC favourites finish first, then Andy and Alberto come to the finish together. Alberto gives the stage to Andy.

For the climbers, this is the one of the three days to go all-in. No one, except Contador, can afford to let this chance go.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Safe bets first; Pellizotti, Martinez and Fedrigo will try to go in an early break. And Pellizotti will score enough points to cement his position as Mr. Polka Dot 2009.

FDJ, Milram, Lampre, Cofidis, Rabobank and Silence are all in desperate need of a stage win so I'd expect at least one early mover from each of them. Quickstep need a win as much as anyone, but they don't seem interested in even trying.

The real action will be another attempt by Saxo to go toe-to-toe with Astana on the last climbs, but down two serious workers and having came up trumps so far it's not looking good for the brothers Schleck. Nibali will try to make a move to bridge across to a waiting Pellizotti. If they do combine it'll add some life to the white jersey contest as it'll be very interesting to see if Andy Schleck is going to be able to attack Contador and protect the Maillot Blanc at the same time.

A lot of focus will be on whether Wiggins can stay with the leaders. If Phil and Paul don't remind us poor veiwers at least thirty times that Wiggins has lost a lot of weight since the Beijing Olympics I'll be very disappointed. But the biggest questions will be answered at the sign-on, will Pellizotti pull on some matching knicks (the red polka dot/ green and blue clash is a bit much), and will Pozatto reveal yet another variation of his national kit?

Publicus said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the attacks will start mid-way up the Col de Romme. There's a descent after it peaks, but not much of one. Should be fun. Everyone is tired, so it is going to come down to who wants it more. Alberto better make sure he eats. ;)

That's not much of a limb to go out on!;)
I suspect the attacks may star even earlier.
The Col de Romme is particularly vicious, steep early on, but also with narrow roads. Look at the profile here
google here

May 6, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Safe bets first; Pellizotti, Martinez and Fedrigo will try to go in an early break. And Pellizotti will score enough points to cement his position as Mr. Polka Dot 2009.

FDJ, Milram, Lampre, Cofidis, Rabobank and Silence are all in desperate need of a stage win so I'd expect at least one early mover from each of them. Quickstep need a win as much as anyone, but they don't seem interested in even trying.

The real action will be another attempt by Saxo to go toe-to-toe with Astana on the last climbs, but down two serious workers and having came up trumps so far it's not looking good for the brothers Schleck. Nibali will try to make a move to bridge across to a waiting Pellizotti. If they do combine it'll add some life to the white jersey contest as it'll be very interesting to see if Andy Schleck is going to be able to attack Contador and protect the Maillot Blanc at the same time.

A lot of focus will be on whether Wiggins can stay with the leaders. If Phil and Paul don't remind us poor veiwers at least thirty times that Wiggins has lost a lot of weight since the Beijing Olympics I'll be very disappointed. But the biggest questions will be answered at the sign-on, will Pellizotti pull on some matching knicks (the red polka dot/ green and blue clash is a bit much), and will Pozatto reveal yet another variation of his national kit?

Did you notice his SRM case is polka dot coloured?

Anyway if Kenny van Hummel can get through this stage then for mine the lad has a lot of balls and is one tough cookie. Well he does have more balls then LA :D

This would certainly seem to be a stage for the big names.

There will be some sort of a break early and it will surely include Pellizotti. If he gets over the first two climbs first though (and basically secures the polka dot even more) then he will probably ease up to assist Nibali and Kreuziger (who is improving as the Tour progresses).

The intriguing lesser light who has a great chance is Rigoberto Uran. Maybe he gets in the break and then kicks on when Pellizotti relinquishes.

A

Anonymous

badboyberty said:
. But the biggest questions will be answered at the sign-on, will Pellizotti pull on some matching knicks (the red polka dot/ green and blue clash is a bit much), and will Pozatto reveal yet another variation of his national kit?

I actually think all credit to pellizoti on just wearing the shirt with his normal team strip.. its funny how you judge people, but from being a rider i liked, he has moved up to a rider now im fully behind and desperately hope he can take the polka dot jersey after having to live in someone elses shadow..

Theres no BS from him, no arrogance, no matching shorts, no gloves, hat, glasses, polka dot bike, just gets up, puts his kit on, and then pulls on his polka dot shirt.. Down to earth, honest, gets on with it and gets the job down without the bullcrap..

Then again, maybe by deliberately doing that he is actually showing off and is full of it.. :D

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
dimspace said:
Theres no BS from him, no arrogance, no matching shorts, no gloves, hat, glasses, polka dot bike, just gets up, puts his kit on, and then pulls on his polka dot shirt.. Down to earth, honest, gets on with it and gets the job down without the bullcrap.. D

I've rated Pellizotti for a while and I have more and more admiration for him. I have to agree that it's significant that the only rider to don the polka dots this year with any serious hope of holding on to it didn't bother rushing out with a matching kit. It's just a pity green and red go so horribly together.

In all honesty I don't care what knicks he wears tonight (today for the rest of the world), just as long as he's got the jersey when they roll into Paris.

Pharazon said:
i'm picking a Kenny Van Hummel breakaway win on this stage...

seriously though...

i'm picking Nibali today..just have a feeling

I like the pick of Nibali, but I am thinking of Kruzeinger (Sp), because he won't be marked as much. He can possible get away in the last few kms in the climb and hold them off on the descent. Neither wouldn't surprise me.

I am rooting for Van Hummel. There are guys that always far behind but a guy who falls behind and has to ride all but the first 20 km by himself and still makes it within the time cut on a stage with 2 big passes, Kudos to him.

I think of it as he is in a reverse breakaway.

A

Anonymous

hang on hang on..wtf Voigt is racing today according to Cn and hes in the breakaway????????

why is the live report still on yesterday???????

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
France 2/3 covering all day today - sweeeet, because it's raining here and I can veg in my hotel all day. Funny early report - watching Cavendish in the neutral roll-out (which is essentially on the early ramps of the climb) fashioning himself a grimpeur, riding with all the other climbers at the head of the race behind the official's car. Prepping himself for the backslide in 2km.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Grater said:
Milram send Gerdemann or Knees
Lampre send Spilak
Cofidis send Moncoutie
Rabobank send Garate
Silence send Lloyd

We have a winner - Gerdemann and Arroyo first to escape, and immediately a crash with Karpets anmd farrar. Everyone up.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
What's most important are the changed conditions. It's raining and storming at the other end of the course, giving the likelihood of at least two descents in the wet. It's also colder than anticipated, so dealing with extremes of temperatures and conditions will make this 'queen's stage' even harder than it already was.

Today could be epic.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
I actually think all credit to pellizoti on just wearing the shirt with his normal team strip.. its funny how you judge people, but from being a rider i liked, he has moved up to a rider now im fully behind and desperately hope he can take the polka dot jersey after having to live in someone elses shadow..

Theres no BS from him, no arrogance, no matching shorts, no gloves, hat, glasses, polka dot bike, just gets up, puts his kit on, and then pulls on his polka dot shirt.. Down to earth, honest, gets on with it and gets the job down without the bullcrap..

Then again, maybe by deliberately doing that he is actually showing off and is full of it.. :D

He has the shorts today!:)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Chava, Menchov, Uran, Pellizotti, a few others with about 20 seconds now. Astana riding tempo. Evans dangling off the back in a group of 10 or so.

TRENDING THREADS