• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: Stage 17 Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Le Grand-Bornand

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Don't know a definitive answer, but it always looks like Contador is suffering a bit in the heat. So I imagine the rain will keep his engine relatively cool. Plus he never seems bothered during the earlier spring races (Paris-Nice, Pais Vasaco (sp), Castilla y Leon, etc.).

But that's all pure conjecture on my part.

Good point, he does do just fine in the early season races. I think that gives a good clue that it doesn't affect him negatively.

Publicus said:
Don't know a definitive answer, but it always looks like Contador is suffering a bit in the heat. So I imagine the rain will keep his engine relatively cool. Plus he never seems bothered during the earlier spring races (Paris-Nice, Pais Vasaco (sp), Castilla y Leon, etc.).

But that's all pure conjecture on my part.

I cannot remember any situations where Contador handled cold badly. Too bad blackcat was not here. That dude knows everything.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
How the can that be? He's freakin British.

Maybe that is why he was initially a track guy...he gets to ride inside in many places.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Did I just see Thor riding AHEAD of the peleton? :eek:

Yep. He just caught the breakaway on the descent. L'Equipe had him as nr.1 on their list of the tour's best descenders yesterday. Wants points to shut Columbia up.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Thor sprinting for the top of the climb, WTF is up with that?

So he could descend and get into the lead group (which he has done), collect his 12 points, and make his protest a non-issue. Telling Cav to take his "stained Green Jersey" and stick it where the sun don't shine.

A

Anonymous

Phil and Paul with genuine insight, they are saying Thor wants to go get some points in the sprint to counter Cav's sour grapes comment about him winning the green with a "stain" on it.

Publicus said:
I'm not sure what the hell Thor is doing, but it looks like a very ballsy move. I hope he doesn't blow himself completely up trying to prove a point.

He's going for the sprint points after the second climb, to basically ice the green jersey.

He bridged that one minute gap in what seemed like about five minutes or less.

Outstanding riding.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Astana have a mission

Tonight’s brutal Queen Stage of the 2009 Tour is all about Team Astana and their one very clear objective - put Bradley Wiggins under pressure and make him crack if they can. Make no mistake, Astana know just how much of a threat Wiggins - this year’s Tour revelation - is and they don’t fancy him being this close to Contador with the ITT tomorrow. Astana have plenty of respect for Andy Schleck too but he is a known quantity and his time trialling ability will not be considered a significant threat. Wiggins, however, is an unknown quality and no one, including Wiggins himself really knows just what he might be capable of.

With five climbs, including four Category 1 climbs, the 169.5 km Stage 17 from Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Le Grand-Bornand is a real brute of a day and Astana will have plenty of opportunities to test the Brit’s mettle, especially over the concluding climb of the day, the revered Col de la Colombière (7.5 km at 8.5 percent).

Pelizotti should be busy again early in the piece - looking to hoover up as many KOM points as he possibly can even though he already has an iron grip on the jersey. He would love to stay away and grab that ever elusive victory but there will be too much pressure on from the big guns for the break to stay away today and I expect a big name to snag the win.

My tip: the old dog, Armstrong. Or maybe a Schleck.

More here: http://tinyurl.com/l2jzgd

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Looks like the sat nav doesn't help Zabriskie much downhill. He's riding really careful. He has been in a couple of ugly crashes before though.

Lot of riders coming up to the breakaway now. Hincapie for instance. Wil probably try to stop Thor from getting the points. Columbia clearly haven't given up on the green jersey yet.

Thoughtforfood said:
Phil and Paul with genuine insight, they are saying Thor wants to go get some points in the sprint to counter Cav's sour grapes comment about him winning the green with a "stain" on it.

I wonder if they would have thought it a smart move, had he come off on his fast decent?
Not too bright, in my book...especially when he's already got it sewn up.
Weather at the finish is currently improving...
...and so to the Saises.

TRENDING THREADS