• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: Stage 17 Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Le Grand-Bornand

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
When was the last time we saw the green jersey in the lead on the tour's toughest stage? I almost can't believe it. Now if he could loose some weight, Wiggins style. (I know I'm becoming a Thor fanboy.)

Mellow Velo said:
I wonder if they would have thought it a smart move, had he come off on his fast decent?
Not too bright, in my book...especially when he's already got it sewn up.
Weather at the finish is currently improving...
...and so to the Saises.

Maybe not the sensible thing to do but I for one admire him for having the balls to do something like that, particularly since this Tour has been characterised by risk-aversion.

Fabulous display of bike riding. Not power, not speed ... just skill.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I wonder if they would have thought it a smart move, had he come off on his fast decent?
Not too bright, in my book...especially when he's already got it sewn up.
Weather at the finish is currently improving...
...and so to the Saises.

This isn't about the Id, it's about the Ego today. He's not calculating whether it's smart or not, he's pi$$ed at Cav and is doing something about it. A little panache to try to make up for the whining.

HOw about Euskatel having 4 guys in the break. whoaaaa. I was shocked not to see that 2 riders in the original break contesting the top of climb, especially with Egoi bridged up to the break. Egoi takes first and can have a top of teammates in between him and Pelizotti could give him an outside chance of winning the competition.

I wonder if Bruyneel is playing the old waiting game with the other teams. Casar is only 6 minutes off of the lead, and is in the front group of 22 now (WOW). THis means he is only 4 minutes behind all the other teams GC riders. They may be playing a game of chicken and hoping the other teams will help ride tempo, thinking they will panic at perserving GC positions. This will help a) take the pressure off of his team and b) help deaden the climbers legs even more with the addition of the almost 60 km of climbing today.

Wergeland said:
When was the last time we saw the green jersey in the lead on the tour's toughest stage? I almost can't believe it. Now if he could loose some weight, Wiggins style. (I know I'm becoming a Thor fanboy.)

I think this is Thors way also of showing Cavendish that he can't win if he isn't able to ride in the mountains.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
If you take a look at the comments on twitter and the rest day interview with Rupert Guiness it is pretty damn obvious that Evans and Lotto are at odds. Don't think form is a problem - looks more like disinterest and a very serious loss of confidence. Apparantly he is making an announcement on Sunday..

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Why are Astana using Kloden to pull Contador back to the peleton? his 4th on the GC! Unheard of. Contador has more problems with his bike.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Situation:

Sandy Casar (Française des Jeux), Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas), Dave Zabriskie (Garmin Slipstream), Jurgen Van den Broeck (Silence Lotto), Ruben Perez, Egoi Martinez, Amets Txurruka, Gorka Verdugo (Euskaltel Euskadi), Rigoberto Uran (Caisse d’Epargne), Sylvain Chavanel (Quick Step), Remi Pauriol and Christophe Kern (Cofidis), Geoffroy Lequatre (Agritubel), Denis Menchov (Rabobank), Maxime Monfort (Columbia HTC), Marzio Bruseghin (Lampre NGC), Pierre Rolland, Thomas Voeckler (BBox Bouygues Telecom), Thor Hushovd (Cervélo Test Team), Jose Luis Arrieta (Ag2r La Mondiale), George Hincapie (Columbia HTC), Linus Gerdeman (Milram).

Peloton at 2.25

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Ha! Astana take forever to change Contador's wheel, so up comes the Caisse car to tow him back!!!

Was Luis Leon Sanchez towing him back up to the peloton? (my coverage starts in a few minutes).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Ha! Astana take forever to change Contador's wheel, so up comes the Caisse car to tow him back!!!

I love how you take completely random events (Astana clearly needing a DIFFERENT wheel from the car, and Cd'E happening to be the next in line ahead of another team when AC remounted) and turn them into another piece of conspiratorial evidence.

Stop misleading everyone. Do you write for the National Enquirer?

:)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Wergeland said:
Why are Astana using Kloden to pull Contador back to the peleton? his 4th on the GC! Unheard of. Contador has more problems with his bike.

Kloden has stated on SEVERAL occasions, including in a LENGTHY interview with L'Equipe, that he has cast aside his personal aspirations for AC and Lance. The rest were at the front setting a SLOW tempo to allow Kloden to pace him back up.