• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Official thread TdF Stage 15 Pontarlier - Verbier - 207.5 km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 15, 2009
24
0
0
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
Plus, give many kudos to mr. SPilak, who had to be let back in the race for his performance today.


Definitely the classiest ride of the day. I was just as excited to see him off the front as I was to see Contador attack. After being allowed to continue the race he really showed his mettle by attacking and showing that he deserved to be there, not only that but he also showed a lot of respect to the ASO, his team and his sponsors! A lot riders could do themselves and their team good by following his example and not complaining and "just getting on with it"
 
Jun 16, 2009
15
0
0
Visit site
MonteCristo said:
Definitely the classiest ride of the day....After being allowed to continue the race he really showed his mettle by attacking and showing that he deserved to be there, not only that but he also showed a lot of respect to the ASO, his team and his sponsors! A lot riders could do themselves and their team good by following his example and not complaining and "just getting on with it"

Perfectly put. What a great ride.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
lol at Paul Sherwen calling Simon Spilak from the Czech Republic when he is actually Slovakian, unless Paul is living in 1988, otherwise don't call Spilak a Czech, he will probably not be happy (you know, calling Scots English, Basques Spainards etc.).

But geez that was a quality ride by Wiggins.
 
Jul 18, 2009
1
0
0
Visit site
Great ride by Contador.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the fact that Kloden was leading the group chasing Contador giving other GC contenders like Wiggins, Sastre and Evans a free ride. Isn't the normal protocol for the team of the race leader and virtual yellow jersey not to do any work?

Is this just another example of Astana (and particularly Armstrong) trying to undermine Contador?
 
May 13, 2009
692
1
0
Visit site
polkadotjersey said:
Great ride by Contador.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the fact that Kloden was leading the group chasing Contador giving other GC contenders like Wiggins, Sastre and Evans a free ride. Isn't the normal protocol for the team of the race leader and virtual yellow jersey not to do any work?

Is this just another example of Astana (and particularly Armstrong) trying to undermine Contador?

Yup, till LA cracked that was a full-on chase after Contador..I mean Andy Schleck :D. If this would be a united team, they would have sat on Evan's wheel. Can't blame Klodi, probably just following orders
 
Jul 17, 2009
406
0
0
Visit site
polkadotjersey said:
Great ride by Contador.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the fact that Kloden was leading the group chasing Contador giving other GC contenders like Wiggins, Sastre and Evans a free ride. Isn't the normal protocol for the team of the race leader and virtual yellow jersey not to do any work?

Is this just another example of Astana (and particularly Armstrong) trying to undermine Contador?

I have not seen any examples of Astana or Armstrong trying to undermine Contador. Can you provide some examples?

As for the Kloden situation, leading the group may mean a free ride but it can also be a free ride to losing more time. Although you may be use to a rider sitting in on a high speed chase and not working, there are also times when those riders come to the front and give false pulls; thus, slowing the chase. If Kloden was pulling back time on Contador then we would have something to discuss.
 
Jul 17, 2009
406
0
0
Visit site
indurain666 said:
Yup, till LA cracked that was a full-on chase after Contador..I mean Andy Schleck :D. If this would be a united team, they would have sat on Evan's wheel. Can't blame Klodi, probably just following orders

The only break from team unification I have seen during this tour on the Astana team was Contador supposedly attacking when the DS did not give those orders.
 
Mar 11, 2009
1,005
0
0
Visit site
goober said:
The only break from team unification I have seen during this tour on the Astana team was Contador supposedly attacking when the DS did not give those orders.
and Klodi leaving Lance in the closing stretch, and stage 3 which may still put LA on the podium, well that and the TTT.