• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: TdF Stage 9, Saint-Gaudens - Tarbes 160.5 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
today is the day cadel, a schleck and sastre have to work for a break... they cant pin there hopes on ventoux... need to follow cadels lead and go for it... this race is far from over...

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
Doubt it. Shelck Jnr is getting frustrated with the limited number of opportunities to strut his stuff.

The next mountain top finish is Ventoux ! at a push Wednesday July 22nd has a mountain 30km from the finish but thats it.

As to the bias towards French riders I doubt it. I think it was designed to keep the field bunched on time until Ventoux.

Zzzzzzzzz.......

I'm hoping something will happen at Verbier as I'm taking my daughter to see her first stage. Not sure though after how dull Arcalis was.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have scheduled some baking during tonights stage....if it's boring at least my work colleagues will have something for morning tea tomorrow at work. lol

I still have hopes that the Alsace stage might spark some life into this overstuffed turkey.
Le Grand Bernand offers some real hope.
Verbier is more of a hill top finish, but, at least it's a bit steeper, just too short a climb.

When the route was revealed, there was much jubilation over the position of Ventoux, in the race.
Yet, there was also a school of thought that felt it could ruin the rest of the race. Defensive riding to the fore.
Then, along came the Astana train and insomniacs breathed a collective sigh of relief.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
Doubt it. Shelck Jnr is getting frustrated with the limited number of opportunities to strut his stuff.

The next mountain top finish is Ventoux ! at a push Wednesday July 22nd has a mountain 30km from the finish but thats it.

Le Grand Bornand is the queen stage. Nobody will sit still there. Before that, there might be some small time gaps at Verbier, which is also a mountaintop finish, or even at the non-radio stage to Colmar.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, you guys are right, the organizers didn't do a good job with course design, but they're pretty arrogant. Their thinking is that Hey! This is the Tour de freakin' France and that's good enough. Think about about it: Millions of people stand on the side of the road for hours and hours to see a blur of bikes go by in twenty seconds. How exciting is that? Seriously, I don't know what compels people to behave that way (though I'm glad so many do because the atmosphere is great--Remember Beijing's empty circuit and how strange that was?) Having said that, yesterday's race had its moments: Cadel's "attack" was mildly amusing; the break's shenanigans at the end were cool; Sandy's attack was very cool; and Sanchez's little jook around was also nice. Hey, I watched the race three times yesterday, not entirely, but in parts. All said, this is the Tour, and the course layout is usually sketchy. The organizer's are driven by the money (surprise) the towns pay to be included. I don't remember the figures, but the numbers are huge for a start or finish town. What's new?

The Barb said:
Bit of a move in the betting for Pellizoti. Maybe someone knows he's going to go hard out to get in the break today.

Yeah, ive noticed that sort of thing happen before. He did finish quite a way down yesterday. Its difficult to know if he was finding it hard for whatever reason or taking an easy day. Given his good performance the day before though i reckon he was taking it easy and will be looking to be in the break or try and do a big job for Nibali/Kreuziger - however, both of these had disappointing climbs to Andorra - ok Nibali only lost 10 seconds to the favourites but Kreuziger lost a minute.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
The Barb said:
Bit of a move in the betting for Pellizoti. Maybe someone knows he's going to go hard out to get in the break today.

I took him based on his time losses yesterday (Voigt too). Hoping for a Ballan win though. Tried in a similar stage this year and probably one of his best chances.

Slightly off topic, but how did Phil know about LLS identifying yesterday's stage as one for him. Was it in an interview of some kind etc? I would love to get my hands on that kind of info! :eek:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
WTF?

Silence DS Hendrik Redant on eurosport now explaining the team's tactics in detail, exactly where they're going to try to shed the pack, where Evans is going to attack today (5kms from the top of the Tourmalet), how the guys from the break will try to be there to help him pull, etc....

Sure, standard tactics, but....why explain them in detail to the TV?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:
too many beers?

The weird part is that he's actually one of the best DSs out there.

He even brought with him a large diagram of the stage profile to point out exactly where they were going to do what.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, that is strange...perhaps it is a tactic....perhaps they are trying to throw off the other teams, but hell, it ain't the smartest thing to do....

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:
Ok, that is strange...perhaps it is a tactic....perhaps they are trying to throw off the other teams, but hell, it ain't the smartest thing to do....

Indeed. A very odd thing to do. Mind games of some kind?

Or he's still drunk from last night. :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The weird thing is, if they're going to do that, they have absolutely nothing to gain from bluffing. The only possible side effect of revealing the plan is negative, if the other teams decide they're screwing Lotto's plan by not letting Lotto get anyone in the break.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Possibly the most brilliant tactition ever, Cyrille Guimard (the man behind Hinault, Fignon, LeMond, etc.) has publicly advised Andy Schleck to attack 5 kms from the top of the Tourmalet.

Says he wouldn't win time this way, but it would send the Contador - Armstrong rivalry to boiling point, which is what Schleck needs to play with if he wants to win the Tour.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
WTF are Astana chasing this lot? Not exactly a group of contenders. All stage chancers...

Haussler and Voigt setting up for their GC riders....but really I dunno why they are chasing so hard.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Possibly the most brilliant tactition ever, Cyrille Guimard (the man behind Hinault, Fignon, LeMond, etc.) has publicly advised Andy Schleck to attack 5 kms from the top of the Tourmalet.

Says he wouldn't win time this way, but it would send the Contador - Armstrong rivalry to boiling point, which is what Schleck needs to play with if he wants to win the Tour.

Sounds like a good plan....I have read and heard a few quotes that the only way to beat astana is to do exactly this....

TRENDING THREADS