• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Tour de Suisse

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Columbia and Saxo Bank getting their a**** handed to them in TDF? I gotta see it, before I believe it:cool:

Besides that, I can't wait for todays stage - I'm sure it won't be a Saxo Bank or a Columbia rider winning this one (unless the profile once again promises too much). The Schlecks aren't a high peak (Frank is actually hurting) and Kirchen/Monfort won't be able to climb well enough.

My money's on either Kreuziger or Karpets..hmm...then again..It might be a stage for Chris Anker Sorensen?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ride into form

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well the form he had in the spring season in 2008 was better than his 2007 form. 3rd in Castilla y Leon (behind Contador and Soler), 3rd in Pais Vasco (behind Contador and Evans, the best stage-racers), 5th in AGR, 5th in Fleche, 6th in LBL. Even though he was not winning, it were his best performances ever. And then it went wrong :)

At least he is coming back, hopefully he can do better again on Crans Montana, as Mellow Velo said, the mountain where he won in 2007 :)

Hopefully Dekker can ride himself into form in the tour and be a super domestique for evans. i didn't realise his great form. why didn't he get selected for the tour if he had such a great season? hopefully he can have a good ride tonight in the mountain top finish and then bring home a high gc placing with the time trial. he is still young enough to contest white jersey. this might be a wild guess but he could be a challenger for the white jersey!!!:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
and.... we're almost live! Bring on the moving images (and I do not mean animated flash tickers!)

Let's get that climb to Crans Montana underway...

gotta love the mullet of former cyclocross champ Lars Boom/Tree as well as Brutt. The breakaway of mullets... Do pros organise break aways depending on hair style/cuts?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
strange move by Kreuziger? Attacking at 12k from the top, on the flat and slightly down hill, while Mr 56x11 is still surrounded by 4 team mates... He only gained 2s or so in the intermediate and 'deed een jasje uit'

F Schleck is on the rope already... doesn't look good.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Apparentely Andy Schleck had a broken chain at the foot of yesterdays final climb, that's why he didn't finish with the main group. And today he seems to be on good form again, pedalling very relaxed.

An I think Kreuziger is proving today that's he's not really top 5 Tour material yet. :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Apparentely Andy Schleck had a broken chain at the foot of yesterdays final climb, that's why he didn't finish with the main group. And today he seems to be on good form again, pedalling very relaxed.

An I think Kreuziger is proving today that's he's not really top 5 Tour material yet. :)

He is (still) not strong enough to digest the big climbs I think. And this is the TdS without a consecutive number of big Alpes...

A Schlecks pace is just high enough so that no one can really break away!

HA and suddenly F Schleck is back at the front!

Andy is done working...

F Schleck has been setting the pace for about 3k already, so how come he is injured? ;)

OK columbia 7 out of 8? Too bad Cunego tried to catch him a little too late. It looked as if he would hav ebeen strong enough to outsprint him.

What a fecking joke. Crans for the wrong side. Even less of a climb.
Columbia make it 6 out of 7, to complete this snoozefest.
All that is left to endure is a 35km+ ITT, which will be won by Saxo's new climbing diesel phenomenon, Cancellara, probably beating Columbia's new climbing diesel phenomenon, Tony Martin.

Undoubtably, the worst stage race of the year. Could even rival the Tour of Poland.:(

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
And today it's Martin who wins the daily Columbia Win Lottery :D

Must be Milka (real Alpe cow milk ;) they are on! What a team, they stay together with 4-5 men and then decide amongst themselves who is the first one to go!

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Undoubtably, the worst stage race of the year. Could even rival the Tour of Poland.:(

Agreed. From an entertainment perspective, I cannot understand why the organisers haven't included even one really hard stage. They obviously want Cancellara to win it. Must be very frustrating for the climbers. Especially for people like Klöden, who will not be allowed to ride for his own chances in the TdF.

Mellow Velo said:

Besides the fact that I'm a Cance fan and happy that he gets this (likely) success, I must admit that you're truly right. Not because this turned out to be a complete Columbia-Saxo Bank show, but because the country side of Switzerland has so much more to offer mountain wise, and this was what we got.... Very dissappointing.

Considering the two great teams, Columbia and Saxo fielded, it's not such a big surprise they dominated, though. Where should the competition have come from? Only Kreuziger seemed strong enough, but without a strong team it's hard to accomplish something.....

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

Next year they will call it the Ster-Elektro Tour, flat as a pancake... Although Verviers - La Gileppe was probably more taxing then any of the TdS stages :D

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Tour De Suisse, what a joke year.

Sometimes it's as interesting and almost as strong as the Dauphine but this time around its a farce. Im sick of seeing Columbia win. And I also dont like seeing Canc climb so well. I know its a flatish course, but the guy must weigh 80 kilos.

Ah well, at least Cav got 2, but even seeing him win is boring now.

jonjungel said:
Agreed. From an entertainment perspective, I cannot understand why the organisers haven't included even one really hard stage. They obviously want Cancellara to win it. Must be very frustrating for the climbers. Especially for people like Klöden, who will not be allowed to ride for his own chances in the TdF.

Yes,as somebody said in an older post,Switzerland will host the worlds in Mendrisio this year,and they designed the TdS for Cancellara,to earn as much UCI points as they can,to start the WCH with more than 3 riders,like they usually do.:rolleyes:
Now,those "mountaintop finishes" were the weakest possible climbs,and also very short,a few km up,a few down.:confused:
Serfaus,Vallorbe and Crans Montana on the easiest side,when you have in your country hundreds of climbs tougher than these? It surely was planned long time ago.;) No selection made,always 13-15 men arriving together...thumbs down for Suisse this year.

I wonder what Cancellara would have done if the last TT would have been a monster like the 24k up the Klausenpass last year.:p
His countrymen took care of that,too.

ITT

Cancellara or Kloden...???

(-:

-----------------------------

TDS 2009

the worst TDS ever...!!!

---------------------

Cancellara Tirreno-Adriatico 2008

Cancellara Tour de Suisse 2009

Cancellara Tour de France 20??

(-:

vai me...

)-:

100% Cancellara.;) And i would say Tony Martin 2nd overall,Kloden 3rd,then Kreuziger and Karpets.:eek:
Man,two time trialists to battle it out for the win in what used to be "one of the most mountainous races"?:eek:

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Anyone thinks Martin could the next Jan Ullrich in about 2 years time? He still needs some work in the climbing departement, but as far as style is concerned, they're pretty similar looking big gear grinders. Not to mention the fact they're both German :p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Anyone thinks Martin could the next Jan Ullrich in about 2 years time? He still needs some work in the climbing departement, but as far as style is concerned, they're pretty similar looking big gear grinders. Not to mention the fact they're both German :p

Let's hope that's were all the similarities end! :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
What's with the results showing Rui Costa as "Rui Manuel Faria"? That's like printing "Alejandro Belmonte" instead of Alejandro Valverde. Somebody tell the cyclingnews writers please ;)

George Hincapie made it 6 Columbia riders in the top 20!
It's about time all these riders stopped taking PED's.
It's slowing them down so much they can't compete with these clean teams.:rolleyes:

43 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank @ 3'-56"
Miles off the pace, today, having done a lot of the early donkey work for Spartacus.
Is he going to be doing the Tour spade work, so bro Frank can try to finish 5th or 6th, or is he playing dead, again?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
George Hincapie made it 6 Columbia riders in the top 20!
It's about time all these riders stopped taking PED's.
It's slowing them down so much they can't compete with these clean teams.:rolleyes:

43 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank @ 3'-56"
Miles off the pace, today, having done a lot of the early donkey work for Spartacus.
Is he going to be doing the Tour spade work, so bro Frank can try to finish 5th or 6th, or is he playing dead, again?

I guess some have received the internal UCI memo with the results of the blood passport.

auscyclefan94 said:
Hopefully Dekker can ride himself into form in the tour and be a super domestique for evans. i didn't realise his great form. why didn't he get selected for the tour if he had such a great season?

He performed very poorly at Tour de Suisse last year, not finishing a single stage in the top 100 so Rabo didn't select him. I don't remember if their feuding began about that time or if it was later.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
He performed very poorly at Tour de Suisse last year, not finishing a single stage in the top 100 so Rabo didn't select him. I don't remember if their feuding began about that time or if it was later.

And the fact that he quit in the 4th stage of the Tour de Romandie, in May 2008 I believe.

TRENDING THREADS