• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Valverde thread.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

Netserk said:
Not just relatively (there can be no doubt about that), but in absolute terms, is this the best Valverde ever (throughout the season)?

My recollections are not exhaustive, but NIbali (strongest I've ever seen him) and CQ points seem to indicate it is the best version of Valverde we have ever seen.

Re: Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Netserk said:
Not just relatively (there can be no doubt about that), but in absolute terms, is this the best Valverde ever (throughout the season)?

My recollections are not exhaustive, but NIbali (strongest I've ever seen him) and CQ points seem to indicate it is the best version of Valverde we have ever seen.
CQ points don't say anything about absolute athletic strength, but how well he is doing compared to everyone else. I'm interested in how strong he is compared to Kelme or 2005 Valverde in absolute terms.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

Netserk said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Netserk said:

CQ points don't say anything about absolute athletic strength, but how well he is doing compared to everyone else. I'm interested in how strong he is compared to Kelme or 2005 Valverde in absolute terms.

I am not sure how you'd determine that without objective data, but apologies for answering in error.

Netserk said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Netserk said:

definitely much slower than before puerto
with his 2005 courchevel form, he would have won this tour easily
and kelme form was beyond awesome too.

jens_attacks said:
Netserk said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Netserk said:

Valverde's a better stage racer now, but nothing on the rider he was in the classics though.

Re:

The Hitch said:
Thanks. So a full minute faster in "post epo" era than in cera era. From a 35 year old convicted doper. That should pretty much put the - cycling is now clean discussion to bed.

Not sure you can ignore the fact that the 2008 stage was 6+ hrs, including the Galibier before they even touched the Croix de Fer. As well as all that messing about once Sastre attacked. Context...

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

simoni said:
The Hitch said:
Thanks. So a full minute faster in "post epo" era than in cera era. From a 35 year old convicted doper. That should pretty much put the - cycling is now clean discussion to bed.

Not sure you can ignore the fact that the 2008 stage was 6+ hrs, including the Galibier before they even touched the Croix de Fer. As well as all that messing about once Sastre attacked. Context...
True. And, anyway, there is too much emphasis on numbers.

jens_attacks said:
Netserk said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Netserk said:

Hard to judge since that was the first mtf of that year's Tour. Many riders that year struggled on that first climb including the eventual 2nd step on the podium finisher, Basso. His Kelme form never netted him a grand tour win although he had some impressive Vuelta performances, especially his comeback victory from getting dropped on the La Pandera (I can't recall the year) but I do recall it was with the last iteration of Kelme (Communidad Valenciana). Loved that kit!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Angliru said:
jens_attacks said:
Netserk said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Netserk said:

Hard to judge since that was the first mtf of that year's Tour. Many riders that year struggled on that first climb including the eventual 2nd step on the podium finisher, Basso. His Kelme form never netted him a grand tour win although he had some impressive Vuelta performances, especially his comeback victory from getting dropped on the La Pandera (I can't recall the year) but I do recall it was with the last iteration of Kelme (Communidad Valenciana). Loved that kit!
Really hard to say. I always thought that the final week of the 2013 Vuelta featured one of the strongest versions of post-ban Velverde, top 6 all time on the Angliru, 20 seconds faster than in 2008 and 13 seconds faster than 2011 Froome on Peña Cabarga.

burning said:
Dear Wiggo said:
http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=5

graphRiderHistory.asp

The graph does not include the classic he just won.

This guy was suspended for alleged doping. It's not even Giro time yet.

He's just defending his CQ points, nothing to see here.

TRENDING THREADS