• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Valverde thread.

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Irondan said:
During the post race interview Valverde said that he "had a lot more left in the end", meaning he didn't even have to go very deep at all to beat Martin and the rest of the scrubs that wasted their Sunday afternoon chasing unicorns..

Sure, he was taking a nap for 257 km, woke up in the last km and could've go on and on and on. But of course, the others just kept his bed warm throughout the race.

Re: Re:

thehog said:
therealthing said:
It's not even funny anymore.

To fair the rest of the peloton let him win this race. Their tactics were terrible. Dan Martin also needs a class in not going too soon.

I think going early was the right choice in this instance. Waiting until Valverde shifts into fifth gear in the final ~500m isn't an option either is it? Trying to surprise him there was the only option imo.

Re:

Cookster15 said:
I wonder what Dan Martin is thinking? I reckon he was just ripped off a monument win. In 2016 Valverde was sublime in 2017 it is definitely rediculous.
Any evidence to suggest Martin is riding any cleaner than Valverde; apart from the fact he is 2nd all the time instead of first. This is the same Martin, after all, who did to everyone else on the last climb what Valverde did to him.

DFA123 said:
Cookster15 said:
I wonder what Dan Martin is thinking? I reckon he was just ripped off a monument win. In 2016 Valverde was sublime in 2017 it is definitely rediculous.
Any evidence to suggest Martin is riding any cleaner than Valverde; apart from the fact he is 2nd all the time instead of first. This is the same Martin, after all, who did to everyone else on the last climb what Valverde did to him.

Well he hasn't previously had a doping ban like Valverde, and Valverde is beating him for fun while whistling dixie......

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Cookster15 said:

Well Martin knows the score. Either cycling isn't clean like he's said in the past(After all he was part of the Garmin , everyone stopped in 2006 PR brigade)and he needs to get himself a better program.

Ha ha, some of you guys are really funny. A convicted doper finishes 152 places ahead of another convicted doper and some of you actually think that the guy who only finishes 151 places ahead of a convicted doper has been proven clean because he couldn't beat the one other convicted doper?

Re:

Hugh Januss said:
Ha ha, some of you guys are really funny. A convicted doper finishes 152 places ahead of another convicted doper and some of you actually think that the guy who only finishes 151 places ahead of a convicted doper has been proven clean because he couldn't beat the one other convicted doper?
Sure, he's more or less certainly also a doper, but I do think it's fair to say that he is less obvious than Valverde.

BYOP88 said:
Cookster15 said:

Well Martin knows the score. Either cycling isn't clean like he's said in the past(After all he was part of the Garmin , everyone stopped in 2006 PR brigade)and he needs to get himself a better program.
Or maybe 2nd place is just his ceiling. He's at a team with the likes of Gilbert and Alaphilippe. I think it's safe to say he'd be getting the best program if he wanted one. Perhaps, you know, that even between riders who may be doping, there are other factors which go into deciding the win.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Hugh Januss said:
What sort of argument is that, I assume your referring to Simon Yates who obviously is no where near his best form by your logic everyone who finished the race is a doper because they finished ahead of him.

Ramon Koran said:
Hugh Januss said:
What sort of argument is that, I assume your referring to Simon Yates who obviously is no where near his best form by your logic everyone who finished the race is a doper because they finished ahead of him.
Oh, so you do get it then. Yes they are, some better than others.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm amazed by the number of people (at cn, but especially elsewhere) who choose to believe that a leading explanation of Valverde dominating is the "long run" effects of doping a long time ago.

As far as I can tell, the only evidence these effects are a real thing that exists comes from the lab, using steroids on rats. Quite a bit of extrapolation to go from there to humans, oxygen peds, and much longer time gaps (rats don't live that long!)

But I suppose if you are committed to the narrative that the sport became clean with Sky's emergence yet do not want to hail Valverde as a clean champion of the clean era, that's what you have to believe

Serious Sam, I am more inclined to think that the new class of PEDS being used today help him perform a lot better in comparison with other riders. As opposed to before. Before he had a smaller margin.

And you have to admit that after riders being warned or banned the majority come back weaker. So coming back stronger today you have to admit that there has to be a high level of talent.

Inquitus said:
DFA123 said:
Cookster15 said:

Well he hasn't previously had a doping ban like Valverde, and Valverde is beating him for fun while whistling dixie......

So when Dan Martin beat Valverde in 2013 or 2014 or some such, was he doping then? Or was Valverde clean then?

Obviously Valverde doped in the past. But if we are pointing at him doping in the NOW, then that implicates his competitors as well. If its easy for one guy to get away with it, others can to. The lazy narrative of the one bad guy cheating but everyone (especially one's favourite riders) doing it for the moral good of sport, is a unrealistic one.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
I'm amazed by the number of people (at cn, but especially elsewhere) who choose to believe that a leading explanation of Valverde dominating is the "long run" effects of doping a long time ago.

As far as I can tell, the only evidence these effects are a real thing that exists comes from the lab, using steroids on rats. Quite a bit of extrapolation to go from there to humans, oxygen peds, and much longer time gaps (rats don't live that long!)

But I suppose if you are committed to the narrative that the sport became clean with Sky's emergence yet do not want to hail Valverde as a clean champion of the clean era, that's what you have to believe

The sport is a cesspit.

The testing a joke.

The UCI clowns.

To think that teams would hire clean riders to race against doped ones is taking the pi$$!

TRENDING THREADS