• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The only full bunch sprints he's won since the start of 2022 are in the Dauphine against guy like Ethan Hayter. Especially in the 2022 Tour he was in great position for a heap of sprints and he got beaten for speed every time.

But the one that really sticks out is that Paris Nice sprint against Jakobsen after echelons.
Sure, he's not the fastest sprinter in the world at all, but I was just commenting on you reaching conclusion based on that particular sprint. Thoguht it was a bit weird.

If these aren't his 'peak legs' I think the rest of the peloton should be frightened tbh. At the first 2 stages he was the only 'sprinter' remaining among gc guys and climbers, while guys like Alaphilippe or MVDP were already dropped. And we all know why he didn't win stage 2 lol, didn't have anything to do with not having the legs.
I doubt we all have the same opinion.
I for example think, considering the situation at the exact moment Lafay attacked, that only Kelderman and Van Aert are to blame, because only those two could react, but they both hesitated for couple of seconds...
Now, should've Benoot and even Vingegaard supposed to be at the front, that's another story.

I doubt we all have the same opinion.
I for example think, considering the situation at the exact moment Lafay attacked, that only Kelderman and Van Aert are to blame, because only those two could react, but they both hesitated for couple of seconds...
Now, should've Benoot and even Vingegaard supposed to be at the front, that's another story.
If you believe there was no way Vingegaard could have made his way to the front of that tiny group, then sure. It was pretty obvious Kelderman's pace wasn't particularly high anymore and the idea that a fresh Vingegaard couldn't have jumped to the front is rather silly to me. If Benoot who barely had anything left in the tank even managed to make it to the front there is no way Vingegaard couldn't have. If you look at the footage there are several riders going past Vingegaard and he just decides to stay put. Considering how close Wout still got to Lafay it is very hard to imagine they couldn't have caught him. One pull easily could have made the difference.

Also, it would have been stupid for Van Aert to close that gap himself with Pogacar in his wheel. That's what team mates are for. And he had already spent enough energy reacting to earlier attacks anyway. Tactical mistakes can happen of course, but blaming Van Aert, Kelderman or Benoot is unfair because they actually did more than their share of the work.

If you believe there was no way Vingegaard could have made his way to the front of that tiny group, then sure. It was pretty obvious Kelderman's pace wasn't particularly high anymore and the idea that a fresh Vingegaard couldn't have jumped to the front is rather silly to me. If Benoot who barely had anything left in the tank even managed to make it to the front there is no way Vingegaard couldn't have. If you look at the footage there are several riders going past Vingegaard and he just decides to stay put. Considering how close Wout still got to Lafay it is very hard to imagine they couldn't have caught him. One pull easily could have made the difference.

Also, it would have been stupid for Van Aert to close that gap himself with Pogacar in his wheel. That's what team mates are for. And he had already spent enough energy reacting to earlier attacks anyway. Tactical mistakes can happen of course, but blaming Van Aert, Kelderman or Benoot is unfair because they actually did more than their share of the work.
Jesus, get over it.

It's not Vingegaards job to pull for his DONKEY!

I think Jumbo should have been more patient in pulling back the earlier attacks in the final, instead they got attacked with fresh legs whenever they pulled back a rider. But Jonas could defo have made a difference if he had taken a semi-strong pull from flame Rouge, of cause it probably wasn't very clear from where he was sitting as Lafay had a pretty nice gap.

Yeah, if I was a DS I would tell my leader to not waste any energy when going to war with Pogi.

All in all Jumbo should have let the break go instead of panicking just because Trentin was in it.

Reactions: xo 1 and Red Rick

Stop Vansplaining!

News just in… Sarah and baby doing very well but no one has the heart to tell Wout.

53022901044_524400043f_m.jpg

I hope he doesn't win a stage and realize he must leave jumbo. A rider of his caliber can't be a donkey. It is almost unfair to have a rider like him as a domestique. He is so good that he could win 5 stages per year.
And then he will have a weaker team around him in the classics. And what do van Aert want to win most of all? Tour stages or Paris-Roubaix/Tour of Flanders?

And then he will have a weaker team around him in the classics. And what do van Aert want to win most of all? Tour stages or Paris-Roubaix/Tour of Flanders?
I must say he doesn't have a chance of winning Flanders unless Pogi crashes out. And his team can't do sh## against peak Pogacar and MVP specially in Flanders. In Roubaix, I think it is more probable to see one of his teammates get a free ride and win the whole thing (Van Baarle comes to my mind) than working as slaves to his captain. He was close to win Roubaix without any help from his teammates and I think he is the number one favourite there if he can be smart. In Flanders, I think he doesn't have enough watts and need a bit of luck (right circunstances) to win.

I mean at the end of the day it's mostly up to Van Aert himself. If he says "guys, I'm feeling too tired today, I'm taking a day off" then I don't think the DS is going to force him to be on donkey duty.

I think he just can't help himself, like yesterday. He was very impressive but he really didn't have to do all that work. They have enough good domestiques.

If you look at the past week you can't deny he is still an absolute beast of a rider, it's incredible. At the same time I fear he is going to do a repeat of last year and he will be completely knackered for the WC.

I hope he takes it a bit easier after the first rest day because he's riding around like he has infinite energy again.

TRENDING THREADS