Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 157 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, I definitely don't think that interview was that bad either. Seemed more of a case of not being able to quite find the right words for the situation, because - luckily - riders rarely find themselves in a situation like that.

And yet, sadly, Van Aert is no stranger to losing a teammate during a race. He was with Verandas Willems-Crelan in 2018, he did Paris-Roubaix.

Sure if Vingegaard is a robot he can always hide behind Niermann’s decision. And indeed the bigger goal is winning the TDF, but do you think that’s why Wout is there? Wout is promised more than just being a domestique, otherwise he wouldn’t have stayed at JV.

Maybe they’ve discussed this beforehand, Wout had some freedom but they won’t actively ride for him, but I doubt he signed up for that.
And he's been more than domestique these two opening stages, didn't see him on any domestique duties. Team, bar Vingegaard, worked for his stage wins, it didn't worked out, but they did worked.
Now, had Vingegaard helped, it would've really been a class act, but I guess guy isn't that classy..:smirk:

I thought the slogan was winning together? Now it seems the only focus is win TDF with 1 person and ignore the other goals of individual riders in the team. Why would Wout signup to play domestique in the TDF when he can be a leader at any other team to chase whatever stage he wants?
WvA already got 2 opportunities to win. Dont pretend Jumbo didnt ride for him yesterday and today

There will be chances for Vingegaard to “redeem himself” among those criticizing him over the next 19 stages, there’s nothing we can do now but wait. Fwiw I think he’s just not the type to take matters into his own hands and neither is the team directions, so that’s probably what happened yesterday.

What a loser. Tremendously talented, probably the second best road bike racer in the world, given his freaking level in classics, sprints, TT but he cannot expect Vingegaard to work for him even if it is only 100 meters. Vingeaard is the defending champion and he is trying to win the Tour. Wout knew beforehand he is a dom in the Tour for the big goal. If he wants the role of sole leader, he should leave jumbo and go for an other team. Accountabillity is very important too, WVA lacks killer instinct and yesterday (just like other monuments) he wasn't smart enough. Grow up and take your responsability.

What a loser. Tremendously talented, probably the second best road bike racer in the world, given his freaking level in classics, sprints, TT but he cannot expect Vingegaard to work for him even if it is only 100 meters. Vingeaard is the defending champion and he is trying to win the Tour. Wout knew beforehand he is a dom in the Tour for the big goal. If he wants the role of sole leader, he should leave jumbo and go for an other team. Accountabillity is very important too, WVA lacks killer instinct and yesterday (just like other monuments) he wasn't smart enough. Grow up and take your responsability.
You're like school in Summer time.

Yeah because a 500m effort would bring that in jeopardy... Don't make me laugh

Still no need to do it. And it might have been pointless anyway; kinda disrespectful towards Lafay to say that it would just have required a 500 metre effort from Vingegaard, and he would have been caught.

And Van Aert doesn't think the critique of Vingegaard is fair, so I think that should be the end of the discussion.

Reactions: gunara and Didinho
Still no need to do it. And it might have been pointless anyway; kinda disrespectful towards Lafay to say that it would just have required a 500 metre effort from Vingegaard, and he would have been caught.

And Van Aert doesn't think the critique of Vingegaard is fair, so I think that should be the end of the discussion.
Well, Van Aert actually said that "maybe Vignegaard could've done more, but it's not right to criticize him". Your other argument is just plain weird for someone who watches as much cycling as you. They came within 10 m of Lafay with a smoked Kelderman and hopelessly late effort by Benoot. Of course they would have caught Lafay, and this is by no means disrespecting the guy.

There is a need to do it. Because a WVA that won a stage is worth more for Vingegaard than one that didn't.
yeah, that's true. putting a little money into the bank can be very valuable. And here a small pull would have been a direct gift to Wout from Jonas, and everyone would ba all "wow how generous, he didn't need to do that, but he did it because he is a top guy!".

But yeah if you want to beat Pogi you need your team to back you and you need to watch where you put your watts every day for 3 weeks.

yeah, that's true. putting a little money into the bank can be very valuable. And here a small pull would have been a direct gift to Wout from Jonas, and everyone would ba all "wow how generous, he didn't need to do that, but he did it because he is a top guy!".

But yeah if you want to beat Pogi you need your team to back you and you need to watch where you put your watts every day for 3 weeks.
He didn't do a single pull for Wout in his previous stage wins and he was a monster help for Vingo last year. It's not because he hasn't won yesterday that he won't give his all for him for the rest of this Tour, even with the Worlds coming up.

There is a need to do it. Because a WVA that won a stage is worth more for Vingegaard than one that didn't.
Well if WVA cracks it and doesn’t work as hard for his team leader because of this then speaks volumes about WVA’s character. If Wout really wanted the stage then he had chances to attack during the run into the finish but instead waited for the sprint, that tactic failed and it’s not Vingegaerds fault.

Well if WVA cracks it and doesn’t work as hard for his team leader because of this then speaks volumes about WVA’s character. If Wout really wanted the stage then he had chances to attack during the run into the finish but instead waited for the sprint, that tactic failed and it’s not Vingegaerds fault.
How weird of him to expect his team will bring him to the finish where he's the fastest of that group. Instead he should take a huge risk and attack, so that if he's caught he doesn't have the power anymore to sprint...

If Vingegaard could have ridden faster than Kelderman, they would have caught Lafay... They almost did.