• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 156 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The only reason he came close to winning today is because he's on Jumbo. Otherwise he would've had 0 or 1 teammates.

Van Aert has 2 wins this road season. Roglic has 9, including the Giro, and Vingegaard has 12.

But clearly it's Van Aert who's too good for the team.

Ridiculous statement only taking last 4-5 months into account.
Ofcourse he's one of the top tiers in his squad. Arguably more important then Roglic.

Given his track record last year, Vingegaard could have thrown him a bone today to keep him in line. Ofcourse the defending tdf champion doesn't have to pull for a team mate, but it could have been smart today. Don't forget Vingegaard wouldn't have won last years Tdf if WVA didn't pull him back in the cobbles stage (not even mentioning hautecam or others).

Really? He should be plan B anyway after Remco at Worlds.

I have soured on WvA a bit. His unwillingness to use Remco as another option in 2021 basically ruined Belgium’s chances. Simply because he felt personally threatened. Then I caught his interview at the end of TDS and he seems at first to be completely insensitive to Mader and then you see him realize that what he said was not very sensitive and cuts the interview short. While each of us may be caught off-guard, it just supports the “selfish” narrative that I am now buying into…
What an absolute horseshit take. He was asked specifically about his own form and replied accordingly. It was a spontaneous, unrehearsed response, and he corrected himself immediately.

Yeah, he give them a mighty San Remo win, way more important than 4 Grand Tours...
Like someone already said, Wout is actually giving those others those victories. TDF would have been over for Vingegaard without Wout last year. Paris-Nice the same for Roglic last year. Sure you can say that he didn't win enough monuments personally, but he did way more than enough for his GT leaders to ride a bit for him too.

I'm also sure that Vingegaard will think about this tonight. He'll understand that riding for these 500m would do way more for winning the Tour than deciding to save energy. Because then you get a WVA that will go all out for you, now you get a WVA that hopes his wife says she's giving birth once the mountain stages really start.

I can see this, and I don't even like WVA.

Van Aert was very attentive on the downhill and on the running - a lot more attentive than you would have expected when you have 3 teammates in the group. He knew he couldn't miss this one and definitely played his part closing MULTIPLE attacks down on his own.

Question is, what the hell was Tiesj Benoot up to the last km? I couldn't see him, then all of a sudden he attemps at leadout with 300 m to go when it basically was too late anyways. I lolled.

In hindsight, Im sure Vingegaard would have given a hand on the last km. That wouldn't cost anything, you pay Wout back from 2022 and you create better team morale. He didn't. Lets not crucify him, but we can still ask questions, cant we.

Van Aert was very attentive on the downhill and on the running - a lot more attentive than you would have expected when you have 3 teammates in the group. He knew he couldn't miss this one and definitely played his part closing MULTIPLE attacks down on his own.

Question is, what the hell was Tiesj Benoot up to the last km? I couldn't see him, then all of a sudden he attemps at leadout with 300 m to go when it basically was too late anyways. I lolled.

In hindsight, Im sure Vingegaard would have given a hand on the last km. That wouldn't cost anything, you pay Wout back from 2022 and you create better team morale. He didn't. Lets not crucify him, but we can still ask questions, cant we.
He payed him back last year with the ITT. When has Wout ever gifted a stage win to Vingegaard?

Like someone already said, Wout is actually giving those others those victories. TDF would have been over for Vingegaard without Wout last year. Paris-Nice the same for Roglic last year. Sure you can say that he didn't win enough monuments personally, but he did way more than enough for his GT leaders to ride a bit for him too.

I'm also sure that Vingegaard will think about this tonight. He'll understand that riding for these 500m would do way more for winning the Tour than deciding to save energy. Because then you get a WVA that will go all out for you, now you get a WVA that hopes his wife says she's giving birth once the mountain stages really start.

I can see this, and I don't even like WVA.
Wout must be aware of the "bigger pucture", he must know what the main goal is, and why everyone, including him are at this race. That's winning the overall with Jonas Vingegaard. Vingegaard is the top priority for the team, and he obviously has orders what he should and what he shouldn't do. Helping Van Aert is not one of this things he should do, especially this early in the race.
It would've been a nice gest though, but simply Vingegaard doesn't operate that way. He's 100% dependent on DS decisions, and I'm pretty sure he won't take initiative to do something on his own. So if someone is to blame, then it's Grischa Niermann, and if Van Aert was hoping that Vingegaard would help, he's banking on a wrong horse. The only way he would help would be if the Tour is practically won, and even then Niermann would have the last call.

Wout must be aware of the "bigger pucture", he must know what the main goal is, and why everyone, including him are at this race. That's winning the overall with Jonas Vingegaard. Vingegaard is the top priority for the team, and he obviously has orders what he should and what he shouldn't do. Helping Van Aert is not one of this things he should do, especially this early in the race.
It would've been a nice gest though, but simply Vingegaard doesn't operate that way. He's 100% dependent on DS decisions, and I'm pretty sure he won't take initiative to do something on his own. So if someone is to blame, then it's Grischa Niermann, and if Van Aert was hoping that Vingegaard would help, he's banking on a wrong horse. The only way he would help would be if the Tour is practically won, and even then Niermann would have the last call.
Sure if Vingegaard is a robot he can always hide behind Niermann’s decision. And indeed the bigger goal is winning the TDF, but do you think that’s why Wout is there? Wout is promised more than just being a domestique, otherwise he wouldn’t have stayed at JV.

Maybe they’ve discussed this beforehand, Wout had some freedom but they won’t actively ride for him, but I doubt he signed up for that.

Sure if Vingegaard is a robot he can always hide behind Niermann’s decision. And indeed the bigger goal is winning the TDF, but do you think that’s why Wout is there? Wout is promised more than just being a domestique, otherwise he wouldn’t have stayed at JV.

Maybe they’ve discussed this beforehand, Wout had some freedom but they won’t actively ride for him, but I doubt he signed up for that.
Wout is good enough to win stages without asking Vingegaard to take risks or expend unnecessary energy. If Wout didn’t understand thus when he signed up then he needs to reflect on that decision as a professional. He needs to do the job he was hired to do. At the TdF that is helping to win the yellow jersey again and if the opportunities arise, win stages.

Wout is good enough to win stages without asking Vingegaard to take risks or expend unnecessary energy. If Wout didn’t understand thus when he signed up then he needs to reflect on that decision as a professional. He needs to do the job he was hired to do. At the TdF that is helping to win the yellow jersey again and if the opportunities arise, win stages.
I thought the slogan was winning together? Now it seems the only focus is win TDF with 1 person and ignore the other goals of individual riders in the team. Why would Wout signup to play domestique in the TDF when he can be a leader at any other team to chase whatever stage he wants?

This.
I thought the slogan was winning together? Now it seems the only focus is win TDF with 1 person and ignore the other goals of individual riders in the team. Why would Wout signup to play domestique in the TDF when he can be a leader at any other team to chase whatever stage he wants?
No. Did it ever occur to you Wout just isn't that good this year? It's not like he didn't have anybody working for him today.

Imagine this: before the Tour you would be given a list of this group of riders, and also got to learn that Van Aert had two lead-outs in that group, but didn't win the sprint. What would be your reaction? That he probably needed more leadouts?

Last edited:
Why did 7 possible team captains ride for Sky? Money. Wout could captain 17 teams, but he prefers a better salary.

But this entire discussion is meaningless. Wout has sad nothing about the events today. It was some great scenery and some great rides. Wout showed great strength. He could have won by himself, but he rode without the proper tactical mindset. If you are the fastest finisher and the strongest on the flat, you should not rely on your GC captain to secure your win. Especially not following a year where the tour was won due to wasted energy by a GC captain.

Reactions: Gratemans
I‘d also say Wout just lacks form at the moment.

Wout, MvdP, O‘Connor lack form. Gall isn‘t yet used to the TdF racing.

Lafay seems in great shape. Wout isn‘t at his best. This was also visible at TdS and Belgian NCs.

Wout somewhere will win his 2023 TdF stage, and Vingegaard will get his fight for the TdF victory.

Wout probably knew Vinge wasn‘t meant to ride for him in yesterday’s finale. Wout could have decided to go with Lafay. Maybe Cofidis rider Lafay was too strong for Wout yesterday. That‘s sad, but Wout and Jumbo have to accept.

They are looking for a new big main sponsor. So they should win the TdF GC this year also.

TRENDING THREADS