• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unfortunately, he fell short again.
He gets the combination jersey (2nd on the road, 5th in TT).

Maybe they should design that one with a double rainbow on the jersey? :)

On a more serious note: I truly wonder what he is aiming for, in the rest of the season.
I have said he doesn't have a chance in Lombardia, but now he said he will do Tour of Britain and the European Championships.

The thing is: ToB is ... what kind of race on his palmares? He hasn't won much but what is he after in this race? Preparation or going for the win? If preparation, fine, but see below. If going for the win, he'll end up like last year (tired, not fresh for EC).
The problem with the European Championships: if Evenepoel (wants to start) and MdvP (not confirmed yet) are in this race, how will this influence WvA's chances? He would maybe be better off either focusing on the Italian fall classics, or just call it a day (year) and rest a bit, and reflect on how to chose his goals for next year, and determine whether to race CX and how much of that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Van Aert did his first gravel race in Houffalize. 110km race. Won solo by 9 minutes.

Van Aert did his first gravel race in Houffalize. 110km race. Won solo by 9 minutes.

Is he retiring from professional road cycling? Because normally former pro's goes to these kind of races and bully these amateurs seeking fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

He gave a big interview to hln.be and indeleiderstrui quoted some parts from it.
Most things to take away from this:

• Says he had a bit of a mental and physical dip after the TdS. Legs weren't the way he wanted and Gino's passing in the race happened... he took some mental and physical days off after that. (which probably explains why maybe he wasn't as good in TdF as last years?)
  • Says he learned a lot from the encounters with MVDP this season. Says that on his good days, Mathieu has such a devastating attack nobody else should really ride with him, not even himself or other leaders, because sooner or later you are gonna get left behind. (this hints he is gonna adapt his tactics to never riding with VDP if in a lead group I think)
  • About next seasons he is looking at maybe doing different stuff, hints at maybe not doing the Tour but another GT. Or trying different races. The special flavor of the Tour is gone for him.

• Says he learned a lot from the encounters with MVDP this season. Says that on his good days, Mathieu has such a devastating attack nobody else should really ride with him, not even himself or other leaders, because sooner or later you are gonna get left behind. (this hints he is gonna adapt his tactics to never riding with VDP if in a lead group I think)
He figured that out this season? After having raced against VDP for 50 years already (give or take a few)...

Better late than never I suppose.

He gave a big interview to hln.be and indeleiderstrui quoted some parts from it.
Most things to take away from this:

• Says he had a bit of a mental and physical dip after the TdS. Legs weren't the way he wanted and Gino's passing in the race happened... he took some mental and physical days off after that. (which probably explains why maybe he wasn't as good in TdF as last years?)
  • About next seasons he is looking at maybe doing different stuff, hints at maybe not doing the Tour but another GT. Or trying different races. The special flavor of the Tour is gone for him.
Wisest decision he could make. And no more gifts.. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sevenall