• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 172 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good. I can't take Wout working for Vingegaard anymore, and Danish media still wanting him to do more and question everything he does. Disgusting behavior from them.

Just try to win lots of races next year, but main focus still Flanders and Roubaix. I still think he's the best rider at Roubaix.
Vingegaard and Roglic are having a match who can gift the Vuelta harder but Tour of Britain stage 5 winner Van Aert is officially too good to help anyone out. The narrative around Van Aert helping GC riders at the Tour has become so insane it's basically religious behavior.

Doubt he doesn't do the Tour in 2024 cause of Olympics. And Jumbo deffo isn't only gonna send GT riders to the Tour.

Vingegaard and Roglic are having a match who can gift the Vuelta harder but Tour of Britain stage 5 winner Van Aert is officially too good to help anyone out. The narrative around Van Aert helping GC riders at the Tour has become so insane it's basically religious behavior.

Doubt he doesn't do the Tour in 2024 cause of Olympics. And Jumbo deffo isn't only gonna send GT riders to the Tour.
Yeah, very nice post. Not disingenuous at all.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
He needs to leave JV or at least get more control over his schedule. As competitive as things are now (super talents joining the elite ranks at 19 or 20) the clock is ticking. Then again, he could could easily still win several Monuments/WC's over the next 5 years with his talent - if he stops wasting his career f'ing around in supporting roles at the GT's. GT stage wins are great for lesser talents, but at this point they mean nothing for someone of Wout's ilk.

Reactions: Blanco
He needs to leave JV or at least get more control over his schedule. As competitive as things are now (super talents joining the elite ranks at 19 or 20) the clock is ticking. Then again, he could could easily still win several Monuments/WC's over the next 5 years with his talent - if he stops wasting his career f'ing around in supporting roles at the GT's. GT stage wins are great for lesser talents, but at this point they mean nothing for someone of Wout's ilk.
the Tour has been good for WVA. It doesn't interfere with his targets and has provided his most beautiful wins. I agree he should take a break from the tour though and target something else as his Tour results /opportunities are going down inversely with Jonas' TDF performances and this will only continue.

Such a great rider, it will be an amazing thrill when he (hopefully) takes his first Flanders or Roubaix

Dumbo Jiz like to destroy classics guys in dom duty. Wout and Dylan simply super doms now.

The press could just troll the sh*t out of him till he changes. Otherwise, he'll keep on explaining away and rationalizing

This is a moderator responding.

Vingegaard hasn't helped Roglic out once even when it was completely free. Roglic has tried, but was unfortunately too bad.

I wish Wout that he becomes road race European Champion today… It would be a nice victory.

In all, I feel that his passion for pro road races has declined a little bit, in recent times. Until now, he rode only 50 race days in 2023. Plus today and three planned classics still to come, he‘ll go on holidays with 54 race days in the road season of 2023.

I think he lost a bit of hunger for success. Makes me sad, because of course I like to see him racing, and winning.

He now will enter his final years on top, and hopefully he achieves everything he still wants to achieve…

CX Worlds too
He has already 3x CX gold.

With less bad luck the cobble could have been his this years. To me, he is already a few years the best bet for PR but unfortunately that race is more open than the RVV.

In general, this year his level seems a bit off compared to the last few years, exemplified by his drop in performance in TT's. Will this be a pattern or was this just a dip? To me he should focus more on having a proper recovery and base level during the winter and drop the CX part or maybe just do a few races that fit his training schedule. I think it's just too much and it impacts his road season. We have seen MvdP also struggling during a season or two. The official reason are back issues but I think his season is akso just too demanding. It may work if you are 24-25 but not when you are approaching 30.

Lol. How blind and dumb can it possibly get?

And then you moan about being misrepresented all the time.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Lol. How blind and dumb can it possibly get?

And then you moan about being misrepresented all the time.
I could have written E3 winner, which is the biggest thing he's won this year, and you'd still complain I was being ridiculous. Fact is Van der Poel was doing domestique work in the Tour for a lesser rider and very few people were complaining he should move teams because he's too good to work for Philipsen.

If you pay attention you might realise I actually root for Van Aert in classics quite a bit, it's just the continuous complaints that he shouldn't have to do domestique work for others in the Tour that I find absolutely ridiculous, but apparently I'm being blind, dumb and stupid when I just show the facts that show how ridiculous it is.

I could have written E3 winner, which is the biggest thing he's won this year, and you'd still complain I was being ridiculous. Fact is Van der Poel was doing domestique work in the Tour for a lesser rider and very few people were complaining he should move teams because he's too good to work for Philipsen.

If you pay attention you might realise I actually root for Van Aert in classics quite a bit, it's just the continuous complaints that he shouldn't have to do domestique work for others in the Tour that I find absolutely ridiculous, but apparently I'm being blind, dumb and stupid when I just show the facts that show how ridiculous it is.

I don't care if you root for Van Aert at some points of the season when you're so ridiculously biased against him for the rest. And yes, E3 winner is not what he is, either, and you know that. He is so much more and there is no way you would describe him as x race winner rather than to belittle him.

If he didn't have to ride for a GC rider, he could probably chase the record of most wins in a single Tour (at least with his 2022 level), but now he just has to do donkey work. Of course that is extremely frustrating for his fans.

And of course it was maddening to see Van der Poel being wasted like that as well. I sure hope people were also outspoken against that. I know I was, especially in Limoges when he might have been able to win. The difference is, that apart from that stage, I don't really think he cold have contended for the wins in a scenario where he was not a helper.

If he didn't have to ride for a GC rider, he could probably chase the record of most wins in a single Tour (at least with his 2022 level), but now he just has to do donkey work. Of course that is extremely frustrating for his fans.
Which are those 9 stages that he could win in the Tour this year? If he's not on Jumbo, he's not even in contention for the first two stages. It's also not at all obvious that he would fare better in the bunch sprints.

Where did he do donkey work? The full list is shorter than you might think.

Reactions: jono and kn0s
Which are those 9 stages that he could win in the Tour this year? If he's not on Jumbo, he's not even in contention for the first two stages. It's also not at all obvious that he would fare better in the bunch sprints.

Where did he do donkey work? The full list is shorter than you might think.
Stages 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 18, 19, 21. I did say if he had his 2022 level.

Okay, if he had a team fully devoted to him, then.

• Haha
Reactions: Blanco
In Jumbo's best season ever, Van Aert manages to miss all of his goals.

In MSR, RVV and PR he was the leader and didn't manage to win any of them
In the Tour, the green jersey was not a goal anymore but winning a stage was, he is failed to do that.
In the World Championships, he was Belgium's leader and once again, Van der Poel was stronger than him. In the TT, didn't even manage a podium.
Finally, the European Championships could have saved his season (it would never have been a success anyway) and... another second place.

Luckily for him, he should get one extra opportunity with the Olympics next year, but he always seems to miss something in the moment of truth. Maybe he will switch teams for 2025, but I just think he is not as good as some people think, at least as a one day racer.

Reactions: Didinho